Question HostGator Comodo Domain Validated Positive SSL

I need to purchase an SSL certificate for my ecommerce website and HostGator offers a Comodo Domain Validated Positive SSL for $50/year.

That sounds good, but I am wondering if there are any better deals or better options.

I'm really interested in this because I could easily upgrade to a HostGator business account and get the SSl certificate and dedicated IP for free on their business plan.

Do I need to look at better options or would this be enough?

Thanks

ofcourse there are better options available at http://www.cheapssls.com/comodo-ssl-certificates/ but I think HostGator does not allow installation of personally bought SSLs for free.

Quote Originally Posted by BizzHost - Vivek View Post
    ofcourse there are better options available at http://www.cheapssls.com/comodo-ssl-certificates/ but I think HostGator does not allow installation of personally bought SSLs for free.
    It costs $10 for HostGator to install an SSL from elsewhere.

Is that website you linked to trustworthy? They seem like unbelievably good prices. How can they afford that?

You should be able to setup the SSL yourself from your hostgator cPanel control panel as long as you have a dedicated IP....they should not be charging you unless they are doing it for you because you can't figure it out etc.

As for SSL's, make sure you read the details not all SSL's are made the same.

Well cheapssls.com has the Comodo PositiveSSL which HostGator offers for $50, for just $9. And the Comodo InstantSSL which HostGator offers for $150, for just $39.

So with these prices, I don't think I mind getting HostGator to install it for me, although I will if it is simple enough.

However InstantSSLs are company validated. I would assume you'd have to actually have an official registered company in order to verify one?

If so then I have 2 options:

1. Comodo PositiveSSL for $8.95
    2. RapidSSL for $9.95

From what I can see, they are practically identical as far as features go.

Any recommendations? Or would it be possible for me to get a company validated one or does that require some official paperwork?

Quote Originally Posted by Kesava View Post

1. Comodo PositiveSSL for $8.95
    2. RapidSSL for $9.95

From what I can see, they are practically identical as far as features go.

Any recommendations? Or would it be possible for me to get a company validated one or does that require some official paperwork?
    You are not registered as a company? If not - I think it would be almost impossible to get a organization validated SSL.

About the 2 certificates - there is not the big difference. Personally I would go for the RapidSSL certificate (because it is owned by GeoTrust which is owned by Symantec)

Quote Originally Posted by Kesava View Post
    It costs $10 for HostGator to install an SSL from elsewhere.

Is that website you linked to trustworthy? They seem like unbelievably good prices. How can they afford that?
    Yes it is trustworthy. They can afford it because resellers get better prices from the certificate authorities (because of the large amount of certificates they buy).