Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by Sina
    This is silly that they blame everything on NAC !
    Everything I've seen here lately about the power outage last week, as well as just earlier this morning, as well as the two recent DDoS attacks, were indeed NAC and not DedicatedNow, nor Pegasus, etc. It was honestly NAC. I know, because many of the other companies on NAC, us included, certainly experienced these issues along with everyone else.

Thx tim!

Originally posted by Tim_Greer
    Everything I've seen here lately about the power outage last week, as well as just earlier this morning, as well as the two recent DDoS attacks, were indeed NAC and not DedicatedNow, nor Pegasus, etc. It was honestly NAC. I know, because many of the other companies on NAC, us included, certainly experienced these issues along with everyone else.
    Jay

Originally posted by Warp
    This is what I got back:

Hello,
    NAC tripped the power during power maintence. Causing all dednow
    and 50% of pegasus clients loss of power. NOTE: This is not a
    pegasus issue.
    Ahhhh, that is a pegasus issue. It may not be their fault, but it's still their responsibility.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Tim it may be NAC's fault, but we as suppliers are still reponsibile to our clients. We shoulder the blame too.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Thats not the point, I mean when your customers complaint do you say that NAC or DN is having issues and its not our fault ? That is not proffessional !

When DN chooses NAC as a provider, they have to consider all these upcomings according to their equipment and etc. just as when we choose DN or any other company.

Allow me to clarity my post. I had posted that information for one reason only; To confirm that it wasn't an issue (only) with DN/Pweb and that they were not fabricating it or saying it was a NAC issue when it was only an issue with them.

I did not comment nor did I make any effort to discuss the aspect of blame and responsibility. I must not have read the relevant post(s) in this thread to have seen in what capacity you and others were discussing this issue to have given any other impression by my response.

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Ahhhh, that is a pegasus issue. It may not be their fault, but it's still their responsibility.
    I guess I just read it differently. I'm not making any claims as to the meaning or intention of their notice, but I personally didn't read it to say they were not at all involved or responsible, but that it was out of their control to resolve (which
    I would then assume meant that they are waiting for a resolution, like everyone else). Again, that's just the impression I got. I suppose I can understand the responses to my comment if people read it differently.

I assume they know they are ultimately responsible as well, if they choose a provider that has issues. Again, or at least I didn't read it in a manner that would oppose that assumption.

I've spoken to the staff at NAC each time these issues arose. They dealt with this issue quickly, they dealt with the DDoS attacks fairly quickly (these are not easy to stop all the time, as we all know), and the only other issue as of late was the power outage last week.

Apparently one of the floors had generators that failed and they worked constantly to resolve that issue, until the time where the power actually came back on two or three hours later into the power outage.

I'm not making excuses and I'm certainly not attempting to pass blame. I am simply saying this due to the fact that they have a good track record in all other circumstances other than the long power outage last week.

Unfortunately, I don't personally know why the generators weren't tested weekly or what the exact problem turned out to be. I do assume they fixed those issues and it will not fail in the future. So, the choice of NAC wasn't likely any careless action.

I know we use them because of their excellent record of uptime and dealing with issues. The only big issue lately being last week. Anyway, I understand where you guys are coming from. Hopefully this will be the last of the issues, and hopefully this post better explains where I was coming from.

Thats not the point, I mean when your customers complaint do you say that NAC or DN is having issues and its not our fault ? That is not proffessional !

When DN chooses NAC as a provider, they have to consider all these upcomings according to their equipment and etc. just as when we choose DN or any other company

That is the issue. Pegasus / DedicatedNow has been colo'd in the NetAccess Datacenter for almost 5 years. This is the first series of incidents that have taken place in that time.

I don't understand why this is unprofessional to inform customers of incidents that have taken place and the reasons for them. This incident was not directly related to our company specifically that's what is being posted here. If you see the title of the thread, it says DedicatedNow Down again. We tried to explain that the issue is not simply a DedicatedNow issue and that it effects a good portion of Net Access and is caused at a DataCenter facility level.

Then a posts begin about how silly it is to blame someone. We are not trying to just blame anyone, customers on this forum are looking for answers and we wanted to assure them that this goes beyond something that DedicatedNow or other companies that are colo'd in the facility direct control.

Net Access is aware of the issues that are plagueing them at this time and we are certain that they will take the necessary steps to provide the quality that they have built throughout the years for the months and years to come.

I.E - If there was something more we could do to assist the process we would, but these issues were at a provider level.

Highest Regards,
    Edmund Barna
    Chief Operating Officer
    FortressITX
    ebarna@fortressitx.com

To all those posting,

You are correct in some aspects of fault, and blame, allow me to explain further. We do not own the DC, nor are we allowed input and or control of the following items; power (UPS & generator), bandwidth providers, scheduled maintenace (encompassing any and all DC related items). Nobody is passing the buck, but it seems that our clients would rather assume that DedNOW, Pegasus, and MeHost control some aspect of NAC's DC, in terms of running their power, their generators, their UPS systems. This is the differentiator between a collocation customer, and a DC. Ultimately, yes, we are responsible to the customer in alerting them to what is occurring within our chosen provider, what has occurred in the past, and what we are doing to fix it. Earlier this week we sent out explinations to our clients, informing them of what recently had transpired. Individual e-mails were noted on Sunday of last week, that they would be individually replied to, after a mass mailing went out with full explanations to all clients. Furthermore, yesterday, I alerted clients that we had setup our OWN FORUMS, which would indicate and alert clients to any and all situations within our DC. Had you chosen to participate, you would have been 100% fully aware of what was going on, what happened, when it was fixed, etc. Once I had tried to post on WHT in concern to a scheduled maintenance window, and my post was deleted, as this is not apparrently a place for providers to note any maintenance. In turn, all of our alerts will ONLY be posted in our own forums, which is currently also being setup will a real time application off-site and backup provisions for us to work outside of the network when internal network problems prevail.

They stated that they sent all their forces to their office or NAC or whatever to answer the phone calls and respond to tickets !!
    That is correct, all of our personnel were deployed to the office, however, when you have 6000 people calling at once, constantly, nobody wants to get off the phone (customers) until they have the following information: 1. what is occurring 2. when will it be resolved 3. what we are doing about the situation. This I know from experience to be the case, and unfortunately, often clients will hang up, or call back to get the answers they require.

Responses to tickets would be a moot point, as our staff was downstairs manually FSCKing over 600 boxes, bringing them back online, and taking care of any aftermath problems caused by the turbulance experienced that day.

Plain and simple, we did our best, at the time, and afterwords are doing our best to work with clients. Those same 6000 people calling, are the same 6000 people e-mailing me directly for answers to their problems. I noted early on, that we would respond to individuals personally, after we e-mailed clients as a mass, and that process, although eliminating my weekend, will be continuing this weekend.

In any event, as you noted, this is OUR responsibility, and as such, we (dednow, pegasus, and mehost) do have a responsibility to judge what OUR best needs are from this point forward as a company, and weigh our alternatives, as such. We have had a flawless existence with NAC thus far, and barring this last weeks events, there was NOTHING even remotely similar to any situations like this at all.

As Tim noted, this also effected he, being of another company completely, and although I have not spoken to him directly, and correct me if I am wrong in any way shape or form, but the issues felt by us on Saturday, most likely effected him as well, being in the same colo area as DedNOW, along with other members of this forum. The DDOS, and SMURF attack that hit last week as well would also have effected his company, and any NAC clients as well. They were dealt with, and quickly, but we all felt the blow. Perhaps our size makes us stand out a bit more, based solely on # of servers in total, but that size would make DedNOW no more responsible for the network and or maintenance than would Site5, Effect Online, etc. As to our responsibility to our clients, we have the responsibility of making our alerts available as quickly and as often as we can. For that, we IMMEDIATELY posted our situation on our own FORUMS, and informed people IMMEDIATELY of any updates. That we feel has been the best positive approach lately, along with the new website that we have been able to provide ATM.

I'm sure flames will come quickly, and I am leaving for a while, but will be back this weekend working on e-mails etc. until ALL of them have been dealt with personally, as I had promised.

Thank you,
    Matthew McCormick
    Director of Customer Care
    www.caro.net
    mmccormick@carohosting.com

the new forums, as I forgot to include them can be reached off the new website, or at forums.dedicatednow.com

Thank you,
    Matthew McCormick
    Director of Customer Care
    www.caro.net
    mmccormick@carohosting.com

Ed,

Again, that is not the point.

A professional Answer is that: We had power issues, sorry for the inconvenience; we are utilizing our force to avoid such issues in the future.

Your Answer: It was not Dedicated Now but it was NAC, all other providers using NAC had the same issue (if you had purchased a server from a different company you would still be down). Dediacted Now is up but NAC is down.

Are the forums on NAC servers or located within the same datacenter?

Thanks!
    David Garza
    CCF Web Hosting - Where Customers Come First!
    Phone: 1.630.885.9009 | Email: david(a)ccfhosting.com
    MSN: dgarza(a)ccfhosting.com | AIM: CCF DGarza | ICQ: 51140109

Originally posted by Mind-Field
    Are the forums on NAC servers or located within the same datacenter?

Thanks!
    NAC is the Datacenter and their servers are in NAC!

Regards

I would like to make one suggestion to the guys at Pegasus: place a remote status or news page somewhere outside NAC. This is vital in the event things are unreachable within the NOC somewhere, in part or in whole. This morning, for instance, your new forum was unavailable, just like many other sites affected by the power issue. Forums are great, as are status pages, but they are useless if people cannot reach them until after the event has passed. I believe it's exactly for this reason that threads like this whip themselves into multiple pages so quickly: in the absence of fact, people will speculate about any number of things and form their own conclusions. Whether those conclusions wind up being correct or not is irrelevant: people should not have to make them in the first place about reasons why things are happening at any given moment.

Just a thought.
    Annette
    Hosting Matters, Inc.
    Superior service. Sensible price.

We are in the process of setting up a real time sycronized forum on an offsite location.

Originally posted by Annette
    I would like to make one suggestion to the guys at Pegasus: place a remote status or news page somewhere outside NAC. This is vital in the event things are unreachable within the NOC somewhere, in part or in whole. This morning, for instance, your new forum was unavailable, just like many other sites affected by the power issue. Forums are great, as are status pages, but they are useless if people cannot reach them until after the event has passed. I believe it's exactly for this reason that threads like this whip themselves into multiple pages so quickly: in the absence of fact, people will speculate about any number of things and form their own conclusions. Whether those conclusions wind up being correct or not is irrelevant: people should not have to make them in the first place about reasons why things are happening at any given moment.

Just a thought.
    Jay

Yes, I understand that. However, they can have their forums located on perhaps BurstNet, RackShack (If rackshack is down; you can't post on WHT mile or some other provider such as RackSpace, since they claim they run UNDER 40% network usage and the network uptime has been 100% for TWO years.

However, you pay a hefty price, but I would think it is worth the money, since I have NEVER heard a complaint about RackSpace (not RackShack).

Thanks!
    David Garza

Originally posted by jayglate
    We are in the process of setting up a real time sycronized forum on an offsite location.
    I don't mean to interrupt you here Jay, but one of my servers never came back up -- the last word from your tech person was that they were moving the drives to another server. Can you please have someone in your tech department update me on when this will be completed and why it was necessary?

lol, Matt replied like 1 minute before I checked this thread again

Thanks!
    David Garza

May I ask, how are you going to do that in two different locations?

Thanks!
    David Garza

Ed,

Again, that is not the point.

A professional Answer is that: We had power issues, sorry for the inconvenience; we are utilizing our force to avoid such issues in the future.

Your Answer: It was not Dedicated Now but it was NAC, all other providers using NAC had the same issue (if you had purchased a server from a different company you would still be down). Dediacted Now is up but NAC is down.

Sina, again we are running around in circles.The "professional" response you posted in the quote above has already been expressed to our clients for last week's incidents. Should I have copied the same email this morning and sent it out again as you would like me to repeat what I already said about this morning's incident or would it be safe to assume that our clients would require more than just a sympathetic apology?

Our clients are looking for a little more reassurance, our intention is to inform them that we understand their concerns since we are feeling the same effect and that there is nothing more at our service level that we could provide for them at the time.

Sina, in no way am I bashing your opinion. That's what these forums are for, expressing opinions.

Our clients are now informed via our forums and email about our issues, I shall not post any additional reply's to this forum on this topic since it seems it will only be used to spark controversy and provoke additonal argumentive threads over how everyone else would do things and there is nothing wrong with that. What is wrong is allowing someone else to say something and then flame someone else for answering them.

Highest Regards,
    Edmund Barna
    Chief Operating Officer
    FortressITX
    ebarna@fortressitx.com

Thanks!
    Probably a script which copies over the DB from either servers.

We have developed code to replicate mysql in realtime across both locatoins. It is part of some of the new features the new pegasus line of servers will be offering.

Thanks!
    Jay

Then, what happens to over righting, and if someone posts on the forum at DedicatedNow.com in NAC, then it may take from 5 to how ever many minutes to update the backup.

Thanks!
    David Garza

Please pm me your server name, ip and root .

jason

Originally posted by Curious Too
    I don't mean to interrupt you here Jay, but one of my servers never came back up -- the last word from your tech person was that they were moving the drives to another server. Can you please have someone in your tech department update me on when this will be completed and why it was necessary?
    Jay

Originally posted by DedicatedNOW
    the new forums, as I forgot to include them can be reached off the new website, or at forums.dedicatednow.com

Thank you,
    Please accept my username in dednow forums and reply my mail soon, i send you some e-mails few days ago and i don't receive any reply.

Thanks in advance

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast