hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Running a Web Hosting Business : Starting A Minecraft Hosting Company

Forum Jump

Starting A Minecraft Hosting Company

Reply Post New Thread In Running a Web Hosting Business Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 09:10 PM

Exclamation

Starting A Minecraft Hosting Company

I am going to be starting a Minecraft Hosting company. I will have two Intel Xeon servers, my own and they will be in a data center in Florida. There is one thing that I will need to know, and that is bandwidth. How much bandwidth will I need for these servers, and if nobody knows, then how can I find out? I have already posted on tons of other sites and received no answer. Thanks in advanced, Jacob.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2011, 06:34 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Is there still money in Minecraft servers?

Amazing game, bored of it now though.

█ True 24/7 Support | Helpful Beginner Support

Old 12-19-2011, 06:49 AM
WHT Addict

My nodes never use above 500GB of bandwidth /month

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenNet View Post
Is there still money in Minecraft servers?

Amazing game, bored of it now though.
There most defiantly is need for a quality USA host. Most Minecraft hosts are just overloading computers and overcharging by 100% for a quality server. 8 GB Minecaft server for 200$ a month? Yeah, thats a rip. Minecraft has barely reached its high point in selling yet, the real game just came out about 2 weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdl View Post
My nodes never use above 500GB of bandwidth /month
How big are the servers on your nodes? How many servers do you run?

Thanks so much!

Old 12-19-2011, 07:47 AM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by poop on fire View Post
There most defiantly is need for a quality USA host. Most Minecraft hosts are just overloading computers and overcharging by 100% for a quality server. 8 GB Minecaft server for 200$ a month? Yeah, thats a rip. Minecraft has barely reached its high point in selling yet, the real game just came out about 2 weeks ago.

How big are the servers on your nodes? How many servers do you run?

Thanks so much!

Not every host charges that, I certainly don't you'll be surprised on the competition you will have. My main source of advertisements is the Minecraft forums in the approved hosts section. If you aren't aiming for there then there's not much point in starting.

Depends on which node, I have many at different sizes. 10 servers on one node with about 100 or so players online uses about 300-500GB. That will give you a nice estimate, if you get 5TB bandwidth I can assure you you'll never go over it.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdl View Post
Not every host charges that, I certainly don't you'll be surprised on the competition you will have. My main source of advertisements is the Minecraft forums in the approved hosts section. If you aren't aiming for there then there's not much point in starting.

Depends on which node, I have many at different sizes. 10 servers on one node with about 100 or so players online uses about 300-500GB. That will give you a nice estimate, if you get 5TB bandwidth I can assure you you'll never go over it.
Thanks so much! I was going to aim at the larger servers. I was also planning to use the forums. Good luck to you and thanks again for all of your help!

What control panel do you use? Also, can you make multiple servers without having to make a new VPS?

Old 12-19-2011, 08:04 AM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by poop on fire View Post
Thanks so much! I was going to aim at the larger servers. I was also planning to use the forums. Good luck to you and thanks again for all of your help!

What control panel do you use? Also, can you make multiple servers without having to make a new VPS?
We use the multicraft control panel which can create multiple servers in a shared environment with chrooted and set user file system.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:08 AM

Thanks for your help MCDI. By the way, your website is very nice!

Old 12-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Ive been playing since Alpha, I have a fair idea about popularity, especially as the xbox version will be out soon. However I don't think there is any money in running minecraft servers, they are ten a penny now and 99% of the "kids" that play the game just use their computer as a server.

█ True 24/7 Support | Helpful Beginner Support