hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : i2C - Internet Infrastructure Coalition : 275 Internet industry execs sign letter opposing PROTECT IP Act

Forum Jump

275 Internet industry execs sign letter opposing PROTECT IP Act

Reply Post New Thread In i2C - Internet Infrastructure Coalition Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Junior Guru

275 Internet industry execs sign letter opposing PROTECT IP Act

I share with you an announcement we made earlier today:

The Save Hosting Coalition, a consortium of businesses in the web hosting and Internet infrastructure industries, today announced it has delivered a letter from 275 leading industry executives expressing their opposition to the Protect Intellectual Property Act (PIPA). The Coalition delivered the letter to Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT) and Senate Judiciary Committee ranking member Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA).

Christian Dawson, one of the founders of the Save Hosting Coalition and Chief Operating Officer of web hosting provider ServInt, said the timing of the letter was important.

“PIPA could be brought to the Senate floor for a vote before the end of this month,” Dawson said. “Before any further movement, we need to make sure legislators hear loud and clear that the passage of this legislation would be bad for the American Internet economy, bad for intellectual-property protection, bad for jobs and bad for the country.”

Dawson continued, “The Internet infrastructure industry is deeply committed to protecting the rights of intellectual-property holders. We have continued to offer to help craft legislation that achieves that goal. If Internet business professionals were engaged in the process and allowed to share their technical expertise, we could help create legislation that maintains America’s leadership in the global Internet economy while keeping copyright predators at bay. Unfortunately, the process thus far has kept technical experts out of the discussions. What we are left with in PIPA is a bill that is heavy handed, unfair, ineffective and fundamentally stupid.”

Dawson said that although PIPA is of critical concern in the short term, the Internet infrastructure industry also is concerned about PIPA’s sister bill in the House of Representatives, the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA). The Save Hosting Coalition believes that SOPA has many of the same flaws found in PIPA and it is gathering signatures on a letter opposing it as well.

Download a copy of the letter delivered to Congress opposing PIPA, complete with a list of signatories.

follow us on Twitter @servint!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

Good to see so many high level signatories.
I hope this law will just be a bad memory soon

Old 02-16-2012, 04:01 AM

They'll probably be accused of misinformation and distorting democracy like Google and Wikipedia, adding to the irony.

Sponsored Links