BurstNET Windows VPS

I've got a BurstNet Windows 4GB VPS, it seems the I/O is very slow? Is this due to the 20% discount going at the moment? Could there be too much demand for BurstNet services?

In Windows Resource Monitor its showing it maxing out at ~1MB/sec, that seems pretty slow to me? Does anyone know of any application which can be used to check I/O performance?

What should one be able to reasonably expect in I/O performance for a VPS?

I was seriously thinking of moving to a dedicated server and running HyperV with Burst.NET but thought I'd try their VPS, I feel a little burnt that I've paid $48 and its not performing very well...

That is pretty slow - may be you can get in touch with their support team and see if they can sort it out some way (from threads here, it appears performance issue with them is generally caused by abusive users - this can be related to it). If such low disk i/o continues, your VPS might turn out to be unusable in spite of having ample RAM/CPU and you can consider moving on thereafter..
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

Personally, That is very low. I would send in a ticket to technical support and see what the issue you is, as for the price your paying it seems you got a pretty large and high-end package... and your performing very slow then what it should be performing, I've seen positive and negative things about BURST Windows Service, but it also seems that the node your on might be overloaded or something related to that as your virtual server performance on what you've stated is very very very below average even for them being the largest budget provider in the U.S.

I do suggest logging into the customer service and submitting a ticket to make a ticket about the issue and they should be able to resolve it for you and make it a better outcome for you, overall. I wouldn't just let it slide... as I've seen their low-end vps's, 512mb Windows VPS perform better then what your stating your $48 vps is running at.

I also would personally suggest a different provider then burst for windows service just for the outcome I've seen recently for them, and it seems they are overloading their nodes and then fixing it once someone complains ( I could be wrong... as I'm not behind the scenes of there company I cannot say really what is going on thats just my personal view ).

I tried their windows virtual servers in the BETA release of them few months ago and actually enjoyed it for a few weeks due to I was one of the first ones to order within minutes after them releasing the notification about it, and after 1 month I started having problems, I understand their in BETA but it wasn't related to that, it just ran liked **** after it seemed to have orders build up and the nodes load up, so that's also going back to my comment I stated above.

I hope the best for you, and I hope BURST provides you the great service that I know they provide for different solutions then Windows VPS's.

-D

I was thinking about ordering a Windows VPS from them because of the special they have going on, but hearing about this kinda makes me have second thoughts. Hope they can fix your problem.

I won't say anything negative against Burst, but I will say that I'd prefer to use EuroVPS or JaguarPC for Windows VPS -- especially if you have a decent budget available. $50 for 4GB is quite cheap, but at some point you have to ask if you care more about cheap or your time dealing with issues.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Yeah, I have experienced slow IO when I tried them for a month as well.
    One of the reasons I moved to SoftSys later was actually comparing both IO.

If I recall correctly, my numbers were between 1 MB/s and 3.x MB/s.
    That was a 1.5 GB RAM server though, tried for a month, before the 20% discount.
    To be honest it wasn't a deal breaker and didn't cause notable performance issues to my applications still (likely I ensured utilizing best of RAM). It just felt bad when I did some comparisons.

You know? I once asked myself what if I migrated to a bigger plan instead of moving completely, and whether that would make the problem go away. Now you answer this.

But again, if you know what you are doing, you can utilize this BUDGET provider to get nice performance still with tweaking and making best use of CPU / RAM available.

BTW, I wrote about my experience with Burst.NET (before making the IO comparison) in more details here:
    http://gurustop.net/blog/2011/11/19/...t-windows-vps/
    Mohamed Meligy
    Senior Developer / Consultant at Readify Pty Ltd
    ASP.NET Technologies - Sydney, Australia
    Blog: GuruStop.NET - Twitter: @Meligy

Quote Originally Posted by Hostworkz View Post
    I was seriously thinking of moving to a dedicated server and running HyperV with Burst.NET but thought I'd try their VPS, I feel a little burnt that I've paid $48 and its not performing very well...
    Slow IO on VM would be because of too much disk usage sharing between virtual servers on host machine.
    You won't have IO issues when using dedicated server.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL SmarterMail Enterprise

Quote Originally Posted by Mohamed Meligy View Post
    I once asked myself what if I migrated to a bigger plan instead of moving completely, and whether that would make the problem go away.
    That only works when the issue isn't tied to hardware or network. Slow is slow, regardless of the resource allocation. There's just no way to overcome slow I/O without using faster drives, reducing user density, or moving to a new machine entirely. Most times, an upgrade of services will be done on-server, and not entail a machine move.

That's why many of us refer to "upgrades" instead as upsells.

It really depends on the host, of course.

(Noting that this is a general comment, not commentary on Burst.)
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    That only works when the issue isn't tied to hardware or network. Slow is slow, regardless of the resource allocation. There's just no way to overcome slow I/O without using faster drives, reducing user density, or moving to a new machine entirely.
    That's what I meant. I was wondering whether larger virtual machines get allocated to better physical hosts or (at least, and more realistically) to hosts with less users.

BTW, the network speed of Burst.NET (specifically LA location) was really nice. I was getting 151ms latency in Australia and on the other side of the world in Egypt people were reporting nice number too (Can't remember too).
    I was afraid about it when I moved to SoftSys Denver location (but not too much, because most of my users are in USA and come from Google results), was happy to see it wasn't much different, and my family in Egypt didn't seem to have any notable speed issues loading the blog (it's the one in my signature). More details in my previously referenced post.

But, of course, network speed isn't everything...
    Mohamed Meligy

Contact there support about your issue and yeah it is too bad speed, there support might help you.

Stay away from BurstNet !!!

There has been an excellent downtime of 99.9% after I ordered a Windows VPS from Burst

Quote Originally Posted by 227b View Post

There has been an excellent downtime of 99.9% after I ordered a Windows VPS from Burst
    99.9% DOWNTIME?

Guess who now has to back up THAT crazy stat?
    BurstNET_CSM - The Honey to BurstNET's Vinegar
    www.burst.net & www.burstnet.eu

Edit : Its more then 99.65% DOWN time.
    The server was UP only for less than 5 minutes in the 24+ hours after it was delivered. Are we eligible for a refund ?

Edit : Its more then 99.65% DOWN time.
    The server was UP only for less than 5 minutes in the 24+ hours after it was delivered. Are we eligible for a refund ?
    Can you provide some proof of this?

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

In Windows Resource Monitor its showing it maxing out at ~1MB/sec, that seems pretty slow to me? Does anyone know of any application which can be used to check I/O performance?
    What are you running when you see that? I'd run an actual HDD benchmark application to get some real numbers.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by sirius View Post
    Can you provide some proof of this?

Sirius
    Yes, the first ticket about the server down at their helpdesk shows :

Ticket ID: 3030611
    When Created: 12-12-2011 - 01:47PM
    Elapsed Time: 23 hours

In another ticket, I asked :
    "...this server was down for more than 19 hours now...."

The reply was :
    "We are currently extremely backed up, and our tickets are handled in the order they are received."

Download this program and check your hard disk read/write speed..

- Do you've a 1 CPU or 4 CPU?(4 Virtual CPU is recommended)
    - RAM Usage?
    Dewlance® Shared/Reseller/Master Reseller - US/UK/EU/FRK/CA - SSD
    WHMCS ReadyMadeKB - Tutorials for cPanel/InterWorx/Softaculous& Growing..
    DemoTiger.com - Buy Demo Videos for your Hosting Company

Their uptime isn't the best, but is pretty usable indeed, at least for the prices of the smaller plans, would argue not for the 4 GB ones price, but anyway, way far from being down most of the time as some people seem to talk about.

Again, that part was mentioned in my linked review as well.
    Mohamed Meligy

We have a Windows VPS Premium service coming out shortly...which may be more suitable for some users.
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post
    We have a Windows VPS Premium service coming out shortly...which may be more suitable for some users.
    Normal VPS = Oversold?
    Premium = Non Oversold
    Dewlance® Shared/Reseller/Master Reseller - US/UK/EU/FRK/CA - SSD
    WHMCS ReadyMadeKB - Tutorials for cPanel/InterWorx/Softaculous& Growing..
    DemoTiger.com - Buy Demo Videos for your Hosting Company

off-topic @DewlanceHosting

-----m------m--
    ......| |(oo) | |
    ......| | (~) | |

That's hilarious.

ƸӜƷ

Also nifty.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    off-topic @DewlanceHosting

-----m------m--
    ......| |(oo) | |
    ......| | (~) | |

That's hilarious.

ƸӜƷ

Also nifty.
    off-topic @kpmedia

-----m------m--
    ......| |(oo) | |
    ......| | (~) | |
    >> Monkey

Butterfly >> ƸӜƷ

99.9% uptime is common. This is the first time I am hearing about 99.9% downtime
    █ \ Axisnext VPS \ Managed High Performance Linux VPS, Performance Assured 100%
    █ \ RAID10 HDD, DDR3 RAM, 1 Gbps Unmetered Instant Setup