Originally posted by null
I'm new to Colocation, that's why I have questions.
1) What are the basic steps to Colocate?
2) If I need to upgrade memory in my computer, do I have to request my box back, or I can send memory and techs will install it for me?
3) What do you think is the best Colocation provider? (NOT TOO EXPENSIVE)
4) How much does it cost, approximetly, to ship server in US?
I can't answer all of your questions but here are the basic jist of things.
1. The basic steps to colocate is to sign an agreement with a provider that would lay out the terms of the well agreement. If you just need to have one server colocated, then the agreement is not too complicated. Here are the basics of what might need to be in the contract.
a. How much power you can use
b. What form your server will be in - wether it will be in a tower box, or rackable 1u, 2u, 4u, etc.
c. extra fees - find out if the provider will charge you any extra fees for overusage of the bandwidth. A lot of places have a cheap start but then will charge you 5 dollars extra per gig...
2. If you need to upgrade your box, your provider might be able to sell you the memory and stick it into your box. This would probably be better then having them ship your box, you install it then bring it back.
But they might charge you a fee for installing the extra memory which is alright considering the money saved on shipping, downtime, etc etc...
3. Your question about best colocation provider is too general to warrant an answer. You should make a checklist of features you will need and your price range. Once you have a list of features that you will need and want, then you can look at providers. Remember that the starting price is not the real price. Add on any extras such as extra bandwidth usage, cost per remote reboot, stuff like that.
4. For your international shipping, I really dont know but i'd estimate somewhere > 100 dollars depending on the size and weight of the box.
I hope i was clear and correct in what I said here. If not someone correct me :-)