Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VPS VS SHARED

VPS VS SHARED

Hey everyone! I was wondering if getting a good/reliable sharedhosting account would be just as good or better then a low medium ranged virtual private server?

I might purchase a 128mbram 3.00$/month VPS, with 150GB bandwidth per month.

Or should I buy the shared hosting one that is 3.95$/month, but only 20GB of bandwidth? I will be hosting a punbb (forum) Not sure which to choose? Thanks any help is appreciated.

-Cadey

Quote Originally Posted by CadEy View Post
    Hey everyone! I was wondering if getting a good/reliable sharedhosting account would be just as good or better then a low medium ranged virtual private server?

I might purchase a 128mbram 3.00$/month VPS, with 150GB bandwidth per month.

Or should I buy the shared hosting one that is 3.95$/month, but only 20GB of bandwidth? I will be hosting a punbb (forum) Not sure which to choose? Thanks any help is appreciated.

-Cadey
    Have you got the skills to manage a VPS? You are probably better off going with a shared host then at least you get a control panel like cPanel or Plesk.

Security updates and maintenance would be completed by your host then.
    █ | Hoopla Hosting -
    █ | WordPress Web Hosting New Zealand - Reseller Hosting - cPanel - Zurmo Hosting - Softaculous - CloudFlare

Shared hosting would be best till you get used to understanding CPanel ect, then when your used to it you could always move over.

Unless you already have been using CPanel.
    TOFS Web Hosting Ltd - www.tofswebhosting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopla-Brad View Post
    Have you got the skills to manage a VPS? You are probably better off going with a shared host then at least you get a control panel like cPanel or Plesk.

Security updates and maintenance would be completed by your host then.
    I know how to setup nginx on a unmanaged, my boyfriend taught me how, lol if not I can always go to him!
    But he is away this week (At a mission trip) and want to release my site, but want to know if VPS or shared is better at the performance level? He said for me to get the VPS one, but then I got into trouble and started looking around and I heard shared's are better.

I know how to setup nginx on a unmanaged, my boyfriend taught me how, lol if not I can always go to him!
    But he is away this week (At a mission trip) and want to release my site, but want to know if VPS or shared is better at the performance level? He said for me to get the VPS one, but then I got into trouble and started looking around and I heard shared's are better.
    Depends on the overselling/performance of the hosts server/network. In the wrong provider either or could be worse.

You will be less hands on with a shared provider however you will have more control if you go down the VPS route.
    █ | Hoopla Hosting -
    █ | WordPress Web Hosting New Zealand - Reseller Hosting - cPanel - Zurmo Hosting - Softaculous - CloudFlare

but want to know if VPS or shared is better at the performance level?
    Performance level VPS is better but you must have a knowledge to manage VPS otherwise you have to subscribe Fully Managed VPS and the price a bit expensive. If you go with unmanaged VPS, then you have to buy a license if you want to use control panel like Cpanel or Plesk.

For shared hosting, everything is ready and if you have a problem just open the ticket to support then host tech will solve your problem..normally almost problem can be solve within a few hours unless it's a major problem.
    MyLabuan Web Design and WordPress Hosting : Shared & Reseller Hosting|VPS Hosting|Email Backup Services|Domain Services
    Join Us : MyLabuan FB

A shared account from a good company is going to be way better than a VPS from a crap oversold company.

A shared account from a crap company is not going to be any better than a low-end VPS from a good VPS company.

It can be either.
    [ IncogNET LLC ] Privacy By Design [Liberty Lake, WA][Kansas City, MO][Allentown, PA][Naaldwijk, NL]
    [ Web Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names | VPN | Censorship Resistance ]
    Services provided in the United States and Netherlands with privacy and freedom of speech being our top priority.

Quote Originally Posted by MannDude View Post
    A shared account from a good company is going to be way better than a VPS from a crap oversold company.

A shared account from a crap company is not going to be any better than a low-end VPS from a good VPS company.

It can be either.
    What are some good VPS companies that will let me start low with them, (128MB RAM) then let me upgrade while my site get's "bigger?"

Everyone else, Thanks for your kind words and responses.

Personally, I wouldn't trust any VPS for $3.00 per month, chances are, its extremely oversold. With that being said, what are your website requirements? Is this going to be a new website? Generally speaking, going with a VPS should be an upgrade for a shared web hosting or, if you require root access, that would be another reason to go with a VPS. Otherwise finding a reliable shared web hosting account should be sufficient.
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't trust any VPS for $3.00 per month, chances are, its extremely oversold. With that being said, what are your website requirements? Is this going to be a new website? Generally speaking, going with a VPS should be an upgrade for a shared web hosting or, if you require root access, that would be another reason to go with a VPS. Otherwise finding a reliable shared web hosting account should be sufficient.
    I will be running a forum using (punbb) with 30-50 online users, last year it happended, our shared got in trouble because of "MAX MYSQL CONNECTIONS" we were using stablehost's basic shared plan. alot of people told us to move to a vps to get rid of that max mysql connection limit, as we barely even used 10gb of bandwidth per month... xd

I will be running a forum using (punbb) with 30-50 online users, last year it happended, our shared got in trouble because of "MAX MYSQL CONNECTIONS"
    What was the maximum set to?
    www.idologic.com - Reseller, VPS and dedicated hosting - Friendly Customer Service - DirectAdmin - cPanel - InterWorx

I don't think you'll be able to run a forum with 40 - 50 concurrent users on a 128MB RAM VPS.

You MIGHT be able to make it work on a 256MB VPS, but a 512MB VPS will make it much easier; Burst.net has 512MB VPS for $5.95. They are not for novices, though. Like any budget provider, if you have a problem they will suspend you and you have to know how to fix it to get your site back. You won't get much sympathy if you buy cheap, get in trouble, then expect the host to spend $60 of support time to bail you out on your $3 purchase. Budget providers can't provide that level of service.

A PHP forum with 40 - 50 concurrent users is going to need RAM for PHP and MySQL. I run several sites, three with forums, on a 1 GB RAM VPS. For performance, I have the MySQL configuration file tweaked to take advantage of the extra RAM which makes my forum posters happy.

Quote Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
    I don't think you'll be able to run a forum with 40 - 50 concurrent users on a 128MB RAM VPS.

You MIGHT be able to make it work on a 256MB VPS, but a 512MB VPS will make it much easier; Burst.net has 512MB VPS for $5.95. They are not for novices, though. Like any budget provider, if you have a problem they will suspend you and you have to know how to fix it to get your site back. You won't get much sympathy if you buy cheap, get in trouble, then expect the host to spend $60 of support time to bail you out on your $3 purchase. Budget providers can't provide that level of service.

A PHP forum with 40 - 50 concurrent users is going to need RAM for PHP and MySQL. I run several sites, three with forums, on a 1 GB RAM VPS. For performance, I have the MySQL configuration file tweaked to take advantage of the extra RAM which makes my forum posters happy.
    what forum software do you use though?

thanks for the other info

"What was the maximum set to?"

I guess the admin @ the shared hosting set it to 20 MYSQL connections

Hello Cadey

Performance wise VPS will suits you as VPS is better then shared as in shared you dont have full root access

but dont trust cheap vps as we trusted and got cheated yea you can go with burst they are ok with prices and performance

if you go with vps u have to get cpanel or direct admin to manage your services if you dont have any experience in managing server as these panel will make your work much easier and cpanel can be installed on 512 mb ram but i will suggest you to go with 1024 MB ram

if you looking for unmanaged burst will suits your need or for managed services take a look in forum here or check hostdime

Quote Originally Posted by mayank View Post
    Hello Cadey

Performance wise VPS will suits you as VPS is better then shared as in shared you dont have full root access

but dont trust cheap vps as we trusted and got cheated yea you can go with burst they are ok with prices and performance

if you go with vps u have to get cpanel or direct admin to manage your services if you dont have any experience in managing server as these panel will make your work much easier and cpanel can be installed on 512 mb ram but i will suggest you to go with 1024 MB ram

if you looking for unmanaged burst will suits your need or for managed services take a look in forum here or check hostdime
    Wait, so i need to buy a managed server? my boyfriend said he gonna help me with the the "VPS" but he wants me to chose, he said he can help me run the control panel, but he will not be coming home until a few weeks really so I am all alone, and I want to release my site this week

is it hard with a unmanaged? i never used linux, but i could look up tutorials right? can i just upload direct admin and use it instead of paying the manage fee anyway?

thanks, all the best
    -Cadey

its not but if you go with tutorial you can easily as how i started in 2006
    as nothing is hard all will start at any stage
    you can go with unmanaged services cpanel are all easy way to start with but it will perform well on a 1gb Ram so take a smart decision and act on it
    Last edited by mayank; 12-02-2011 at 01:15 AM. Reason: .

I would suggest you to take VPS. If you have no experience in VPS, you might want to get cPanel/DirectAdmin or any control panel installed on the VPS.

If you know how to configure, you can always go for unmanaged. Else, managed services would work best for your case. Hope this helps.

I think I will go with unmanaged and just post help here, i will be using lighttd and eaccelator and optimize my mysql if I can, wonder how long it take XD

remember me only on 128mb ram! but will upgrade if neeD!!

I think I will go with unmanaged and just post help here, i will be using lighttd and eaccelator and optimize my mysql if I can, wonder how long it take XD

remember me only on 128mb ram! but will upgrade if neeD!!
    How much traffic does your site generate? I'm afraid it might not be sufficient. You should always spare some resources just in case there are concurrent processes running which will blow your RAM usage. Since you need to release your site urgently, do you have the time to configure your VPS?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinjiru Technology View Post
    How much traffic does your site generate? I'm afraid it might not be sufficient. You should always spare some resources just in case there are concurrent processes running which will blow your RAM usage. Since you need to release your site urgently, do you have the time to configure your VPS?
    not sure how long it will take really!! im really excited, i will be buying the urpad 3.00$ plan with 128mb ram,
    my site is just a fluxbb(punbb) forum we get probably 20-30 members online, i looked reviews online that php with fluxbb only uses about 8mb ram, stock? so the guy said I should be fine,

I also talked to the live tech people, they said i should be fine and can upgrade to the 512mb one for 5$/month plan

i will need to look up tutorials on how to install the stuff, boyfriend not answering text

While you could get nginx running rather well on a 128MB vps, you'll run into issues when you start attempting to add on php-fpm as well as mysql, especially if you plan on using a common script like wordpress and such.

Part of the reason why I don't offer anything less than a 384.
    IonVz - Nginx/FreeBSD/VPS Consulting | VPSNodeBox - Managed Support Representative

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't trust any VPS for $3.00 per month, .
    If you're experienced, these have their uses. Most $3 VPS are going to be about 128-192MB range, from the likes of BuyVM or 123Systems. I've using about 4-5 VPS like this for various things. None of them for forums, however -- that's asking too much of a low RAM VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
    I don't think you'll be able to run a forum with 40 - 50 concurrent users on a 128MB RAM VPS. You MIGHT be able to make it work on a 256MB VPS, but a 512MB VPS will make it much easier; [unmanaged VPS] are not for novices, though. Like any budget provider, if you have a problem they will suspend you and you have to know how to fix it to get your site back. You won't get much sympathy if you buy cheap, get in trouble, then expect the host to spend $60 of support time to bail you out on your $3 purchase. Budget providers can't provide that level of service. A PHP forum with 40 - 50 concurrent users is going to need RAM for PHP and MySQL.
    Almost exactly what I would have written, had I not been beat to it.

--

My advice to anybody not experienced with replacing Apache, tweaking MySQL and PHP, or adding server-side caches, is to use 1GB minimum RAM. Anything less requires a good deal of work to function well. The smaller the RAM, the exponentially harder it gets. If you want to run a forum like phpBB, you need more resources.

To be honest, phpBB isn't even a good platform. SMF, MyBB, vBulletin and Xenforo are better.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

VPS Vs Shared Hosting

Hi,

VPS hosting is anytime better than shared hosting. When you want to upgrade your business then it is the best choice because you can be easily scale up or down.

what forum software do you use though?
    I have phpBB, SMF and IP.Board forums running on my VPS. One gets 60 -70 concurrent readers (based on the forum's own reporting), and the other two peak out much smaller, at 20 - 25 online at the same time.

PHPbb and smf/ipb 3.0 use alot more features then fluxbb though, thats why i still think the 128mb ram should be fine, and i can upgrade to the 512mb ram in 1click for +2$ more per month as my site grows?

it's just a fluxbb forum no other plugins!!

but i will take ur consideration guys and look up tutorials before i start/etc ty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast