Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1

    Hostgator new otherwise awesome feature seems to be very buggy

    I got a message from hostgator:

    This message is to advise you of a temporary block placed on your account. This account was found to be consuming an inordinate amount of processor time, to the point of degrading overall system performance. While we do limit each account to no more than 25% of a system's CPU in our terms of service, we do not actively disable accounts until they greatly exceed that number, which is what happened in this case.

    Requests to this scripts under this account may become degraded by limiting the abilty for scripts to run for a limited amount of time, or if the issue persists, we may be forced to restrict how fast processes can be spawned until the issue has been resolved.

    Okay

    The message is erroneous in two ways:
    1. Hostgator does not limit the ability of the scripts to run or the number of processes spawn. Hostgator block all scripts death.
    2. It's not temporary.

    I login to cpanel and found out that I am using a mere .1% of CPU. In fact, that's what normal. If I indeed use more than 25%, it's not something customers can easily know from cpanel or antything else.

    In general, hostgator is still great. Don't get me wrong. If they did what they said they did, namely temporarily limit the number of processes that can be spawn, that by itself is perfectly fine.

    However, if you suspend a site, why say temporarily block? Why say we temporarily block and limit the number of processes spawn if you you actually did is permanently block and make sites completely inaccessible?

    Also occasional spikes are common in hosting. If the spike happens in 2 minutes, why my sites need to go down for days?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,646
    Probably you were using the 1% when you checked, but over the 25% when it was suspended.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    1,391
    Have you called and asked what could be done? I've found their support to be among the best and usually a phone call is all that's needed to resolve most issues.

    I know there is a hostgator rep here and will probably find this post and try to resolve your issue.

    Good luck,
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

  4. #4
    Yes they're among the best. I know. Actually during normal the usage is also .1%. Sometimes it jumps to 3% but then drop again to .1%. However, the CPU shown in cpanel is different than CPU used in ssh.

    So customer see CPU shown in cpanel, and hostgator banned based on CPU used in SSH.

    That being said, I think the one in cpanel is average. Hostgator terms says that peak cannot happen more than 25% for 90 continuous seconds.

    I think the suspending scripts do not take into account.

    Yes Hostgator is still the best. But I think they need to modify their script here. I do not think I can ask them to change that via customer service. Got to go through here to get attention of the highers up.

  5. #5
    Acessing my site shows:

    Service Unavailable

    Server currently undergoing maintenance. Webmaster: please contact support.

    If they just limit CPU usage as they said, and CPU usage now is .1%, then it wouldn't have happened right? No they shut down. Also difference between .1% and 25% is HUGE. I know Cpanel differs from SSH, but still it's a huge differences. I think Cpanel ones are averaged. SSH ones are snapshot. But then it's cpanel one that should be used right?

    Some of the techies said that they plan to implement a system where customers can know when their site is shut down and when they do just get temporary block. I hope they implemented that quickly.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    Probably you were using the 1% when you checked, but over the 25% when it was suspended.
    the time you checked, your site is already suspended, so how it can use the same cpu when you checked ?
    ▓▓ 9xhost.Net - Limited
    ▓▓ Quad Core Dedicated Servers with WHMCS - Click here
    ▓▓ Windows VPS Plans - Click here
    ===============================================

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana USA
    Posts
    15,319
    HostGator will have to suspend any user that causes performance degradation on the server, as would any other provider.

    Look at it this way - let's say it wasn't your account, but somebody else's on the server and your site is loading slow/not at all due to this other user... Would you be ok with this because you don't want to see somebody else's account suspended or would you prefer they take quick action to suspend the other user so that YOUR site keeps working well?

    The issue here is that you're 1 out of likely several hundred, they're not going to put your needs/desires to not be suspended over the quality of service for everybody else on the server.

    You'll want to get with them to see what caused the suspension, and optimize your scripts/site or perhaps find another solution that better fits your needs.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting, LLC - Professional Hosting Solutions
    LiteSpeed Powered - Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    For high-end shared accounts ideal for business, check out our Premium offerings!
    http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Providing Quality Services since 2007

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    HostGator will have to suspend any user that causes performance degradation on the server, as would any other provider.
    That one I totally understand. In fact, did I mention that the automatic feature is brilliant. That's not the issue. Obviously they are absolutely correct in this.

    My issue is:
    1.They don't tell they suspend. They tell that they temporarily limit the number of spawn process. The truth is they suspend.
    2. I seriously doubt that my account is using 25% resources given that most of the time cpanel (before and after suspension) shows that the account is using a mere only .1%. Yes there are spikes, but all the way to 25%? Continuously over 90 seconds? Hostgator is not giving any "average CPU usage, or server load, or anything" This is regular search engine bots, not anything malicious. There is no way from customer part to verify this.

    All Hostgator gives is some snapshots. Sometimes their own snapshots show that I am only using 1%. I hope they can fix those 2 issues. That's all I am asking.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    /home/kristoffer
    Posts
    2,793
    Quote Originally Posted by hardjoko View Post
    That one I totally understand. In fact, did I mention that the automatic feature is brilliant. That's not the issue. Obviously they are absolutely correct in this.

    My issue is:
    1.They don't tell they suspend. They tell that they temporarily limit the number of spawn process. The truth is they suspend.
    They told you they put a temporary block on your account. IF the scripts were not optimized after the block is removed, they'd have to put a limit on how fast it can execute.

    Quote Originally Posted by hardjoko View Post
    2. I seriously doubt that my account is using 25% resources given that most of the time cpanel (before and after suspension) shows that the account is using a mere only .1%. Yes there are spikes, but all the way to 25%? Continuously over 90 seconds? Hostgator is not giving any "average CPU usage, or server load, or anything" This is regular search engine bots, not anything malicious. There is no way from customer part to verify this.

    All Hostgator gives is some snapshots. Sometimes their own snapshots show that I am only using 1%. I hope they can fix those 2 issues. That's all I am asking.
    HostGator have been using their auto suspension script for a long time. To actually know if it is the script that is right - you'd have to watch your account 24/7.

    While I don't quite like how HostGator give "unlimited" space and bandwidth for very little, I still think they have tested their script properly.

  10. #10
    They've been using it in the last 4 months. Before they simply watch the load. Again, I am not complaining that my script is getting suspended. I can easily move domains somewhere else. I am not saying they're bad or anything. In fact, if they're bad I wouldn't make this thread. I would have gone somewhere else and that's it. It's because they're good I talked.

    It's just that if you say you temporarily limit your customers' CPU usage while in fact you actually suspended the customers permanently, well I think that's confusing. That's all. I feel that through customer service this message simply don't get across.

    Also telling customers what's the actual 90 seconds average in cpanel of CPU usage would be awesome too.
    Last edited by hardjoko; 11-29-2011 at 02:27 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    /home/kristoffer
    Posts
    2,793
    Quote Originally Posted by hardjoko View Post
    They've been using it in the last 4 months. Before they simply watch the load. Again, I am not complaining that my script is getting suspended. I can easily move domains somewhere else. I am not saying they're bad or anything. In fact, if they're bad I wouldn't make this thread. I would have gone somewhere else and that's it. It's because they're good I talked.

    It's just that if you say you temporarily limit your customers' CPU usage while in fact you actually suspended the customers permanently, well I think that's confusing. That's all. I feel that through customer service this message simply don't get across.

    Also telling customers what's the actual 90 seconds average in cpanel of CPU usage would be awesome too.
    Honestly if they were as awesome as you say, they would listen to you when you gave them feedback such as what you do in this thread.

  12. #12
    No. What happened is I ended up dealing a bunch of different techies most of them do not know what happened. Some confuse load with CPU usage, which is a different thing.

    Anyway, they're still good because when I park the same number of domains in bluehost or justhost I got problems too. So I agree that hostgator has been "generous" for CPU. I just ask for better transparency.

    For example, if I see 3% CPU usage in cpanel does that mean I am using 48% CPU given that hostgator servers have 16 CPU. That sort of thing. I am asking this on their support system too.

    Along time ago, I had an argument with one of the techies about load. Latter I found out that what they mean by load is the load of the WHOLE server. So all this time I was bringing a 16 CPU server down and I thought it's their fault. Shame on me. But I didn't understand. I thought what they mean by load is load for my account only.

    That was a long time ago. Now my scripts are far more efficient. I ordered more shared hosting to divide the load.
    Last edited by hardjoko; 12-05-2011 at 12:47 AM.

  13. #13
    Okay looks like I am the one that's mistaken. If I saw 2 % CPU usage, that actually means 48% cpu.

    However, I think they need to replace their messaging. If they said temporary block it shouldn't be permanent. If they said limit the number of thread they shouldn't block things completely. If they do block completely permanently they should just say so.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    1,391
    Is your account still suspended?

    I'm rather surprised that Brent never picked up on this thread, but perhaps its time to migrate elsewhere.
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    333
    If your using a wordpress site you should install wp-supercache and configure it with mod_rewrite and empty the user-agents box and enable gzip compression and reply. I did that for my sites and they removed the block. Believe it or not it makes a huge difference.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    30
    Hi,
    The CPU usage you were looking at in cPanel is a snapshot of what is currently happening that second. It doesn't provide the amount of CPU seconds used in a minute, 30 mins, hour etc.. In cases like yours, where maybe when you login to cPanel, there may not be any resource abuse, this metric won't help you much.

    Brent actually gave me a call yesterday, and was concerned about how the CPU usage is being listed. We came to the conclusion to post cpu usage over an hour time span in a bar or line graph.

    Having the graph will allow you to see when you have peak CPU usage, over the day. We could also include resource abuse thresholds, where the bar would turn to red if there is extreme abuse during that time in the bar/line graph.

    I'm not sure when this will be implemented, but it will be added to a feature request list.

    Could you let me know your ticket number so I can take a look at it?

    Quote Originally Posted by hardjoko View Post
    Okay looks like I am the one that's mistaken. If I saw 2 % CPU usage, that actually means 48% cpu.

    However, I think they need to replace their messaging. If they said temporary block it shouldn't be permanent. If they said limit the number of thread they shouldn't block things completely. If they do block completely permanently they should just say so.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,133
    I think Hostgator made their own script to show CPU in customers cPanel and like MrCollins said, I don´t think this numbers are correct.

    What you see in the server side is probably way different of what users see in their cPanel. I would assume what you see in your customer control panel side is way less of the actual real load.
    PingHosters - Expert community for hosters - NEW: Post Reviews

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    I think Hostgator made their own script to show CPU in customers cPanel and like MrCollins said, I don´t think this numbers are correct.

    What you see in the server side is probably way different of what users see in their cPanel. I would assume what you see in your customer control panel side is way less of the actual real load.
    What you see in cPanel would be the CPU usage right at the exact second. The percentage could fluctuate a lot in a fraction of a second, especially with PHP processes rapidly spawning.

    So I think the next step would be to provide out clients with a resource graph that would include the CPU time every hour. We collect this data internally anyway, so it wouldn't take much work.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,133
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCollins View Post
    What you see in cPanel would be the CPU usage right at the exact second. The percentage could fluctuate a lot in a fraction of a second, especially with PHP processes rapidly spawning.

    So I think the next step would be to provide out clients with a resource graph that would include the CPU time every hour. We collect this data internally anyway, so it wouldn't take much work.
    Sure that would be the next logic thing to do if it's not adding to much overhead to the server.

    Doesn´t cloud Linux do this already. Why reinvent the wheel?
    PingHosters - Expert community for hosters - NEW: Post Reviews

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    Sure that would be the next logic thing to do if it's not adding to much overhead to the server.

    Doesn´t cloud Linux do this already. Why reinvent the wheel?
    I'm already done with the code. It only took a few minutes. Plus we don't use CloudLinux. We wouldn't be able to since we have a custom kernel + patches.

  21. #21
    Good evening,

    As promised, this has been rolled out to our shared farm now.

    You can access this area by clicking on the View Graph button under CPU Usage, shown below:
    hostgator.com/~jlavoy/hgtheme1.jpg

    Clicking this link will take you to a page showing your accounts CPU Usage over the last 24 hours. It'll look something like this:
    hostgator.com/~jlavoy/hgtheme3.jpg

    Once your account has hit the Extreme CPU Usage mark (red line), it's most likely pretty close to causing a problem if it hasn't already.

    Note: I was going to post real pretty links to the images, but I require 5 posts before I'm cool enough for vBulletin features like URL's. I guess that's what I get for lurking as long as I have

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hyderabad
    Posts
    51

    * Service Unavailable hostgator

    Service Unavailable

    Server currently undergoing maintenance. Webmaster: please contact support.

    presently i am getting this error due to increase process limits frequently

    i am hosting since 32 days i now i want to cancel and want to get refund but my payment method is net banking they refund only payment through credit card or pay pal this founded on their tos page but i asked the live support they told that you will get refund

    and my planning to move fastwebhost.in or ipage which is really cheap and other just host or bluehost

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LocalHost
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by airtet View Post
    i am hosting since 32 days i now i want to cancel and want to get refund but my payment method is net banking they refund only payment through credit card or pay pal this founded on their tos page but i asked the live support they told that you will get refund
    Hostgator have 45-days refund policy. So, you should get refund.

    and my planning to move ipage which is really cheap and other just host or bluehost
    Hostgator, iPage, BloueHost are all same. They all are brands of EIG. http://enduranceinternational.com/ou...any/our-brands

    So, moving to these hosting companies will only change name.
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hyderabad
    Posts
    51
    so which is the best hostprovider

    the hostgator have loophole that process limit

    and what about bluehost and ipage

    and just host because i am planning to move one of them and just recently registered with fastwebhsot.in

    but they are not sent any invoice details and also just requested hostgator to cancelation

    my hosting package was 3 years which is offered by 50percent diso**** all i paid Rs 7223 rupess for 3 years

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,281
    I don't think that list is complete...

  26. Newsletters

    Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Similar Threads

  1. is vb 4.x still buggy?
    By dkent in forum Web Design and Content
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 06:26 AM
  2. Hostgator is awesome!
    By jasonck08 in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 02:24 PM
  3. Buggy BMC?
    By darkwoof in forum Hosting Security and Technology
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-09-2006, 12:29 AM
  4. Most buggy software you've ever come across with
    By cblc3kw in forum Web Hosting Lounge
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-21-2004, 11:42 AM
  5. buggy connection
    By ub3r in forum Web Hosting Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2003, 04:10 AM

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •