Thread: HTML Composers

HTML Composers

Do I have to do a image verification for every post? Okay anyways I am new to this site. I am wondering what would be the BEST free Composer on the Mac? Presently I use Sea Monkey, Kompozer, & Blue Griffin. I also have Text Wranger (which is a HTML editor, not a composer). What I like about Text Wranger is that it can open and edit HTML docs on the FTP server (something none of my clients can do). TW can also edit a HTML file locally and save to the FTP server without launching a external FTP client like Cyberduck, FireFTP, or what not. I sure wish someone knew of a client with a reasonable price that is as easy and powerful as Sea Monkey, but has the features for remote editing and saving like Text Wrangler.

Presently I use Sea Monkey the most as it seems to work the best. Kompozer got off to a good start, but has not been updated in AGES. Blue Griffin seems nice, but it also has some issues like kompozer.

John

Re

I am on a Mac. But that looks like a great app.

Htmlpad is a very simple editor and easy to use for mac users.

I'm not sure what you call reasonably priced but for everything you need Adobe Dreamweaver does it.

Dreamweaver is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by vespid View Post
    I'm not sure what you call reasonably priced but for everything you need Adobe Dreamweaver does it.
    Dreamweaver is anything but reasonably priced. I'd suggest worth the price, but probably not affordable or worth it to someone working on just their own site.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Dreamweaver is anything but reasonably priced. I'd suggest worth the price, but probably not affordable or worth it to someone working on just their own site.
    I'll have to go along with bear on that one. Adobe has gone boinkers on their pricing and now they say no more upgrades after the cs5's...you have to pay full price for their new editions.

Expression Web 4 is catching up to DW and all the reports I've been hearing and reading is it will eventually pass DW in sales. EW4 is much cheaper and now that we've gotten use to it we build no more sites in DW.

If you have a student or a student friend you can buy EW4 for $24.99 I think from the Academic Store.
    Last edited by bruc; 12-11-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bruc View Post
    I'll have to go along with bear on that one. Adobe has gone boinkers on their pricing and now they say no more upgrades after the cs5's...you have to pay full price for their new editions.
    Where did you see this? If true, it's incredibly unlikely I will ever buy beyond this version.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

bear, there were some in depth discussions about it on the Adobe DW and PS forums a couple weeks ago.

Unless Adobe changes their minds it's etched in stone.

The threads were something like Adobe's new upgrade policy and it seems to be on anything Adobe above cs5 or cs5.5.

Those were the 2 forums where the gurus were discussing it.

Here is the pricing on EW4

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/pr...Studio/1396533

You could try Notepad+++

Quote Originally Posted by TedSmiths View Post
    You could try Notepad+++
    We've got a coder that uses Notepad++ on a limited basis but hand coding in our office with the type sites we build and maintain is a limited option not a given.

It's a great program and I enjoy watching her code with it and seeing the excellent work she achieves with it.