Thumbs down BurstNET Windows VPS Ongoing Issues. Need Feedback!

I recently got a windows vps with Burst.net and I have never been able to use the vps. When I first ever tried to login to it, through RDC software, it was so laggy it took like 10 minutes to be able to enter the password for the Administrator user. It took even longer to load the desktop. I have been actively utilizing their chat through AIM, and their support ticket system, and have followed what they asked me to do which was traceroutes and it seems the only explanation for the laggy server that also locks up to the point where you cannot do anything is abusers on their servers. They claim they suspend the users who are abusing, and want me to check the server again and I see no difference in performance. I know this is a budget vps, but still, there is no excuse for the fact that I have had the server for like 5 days now and cannot use it one bit. I have also had some friends login and try it from their location, and there was no difference. They said it was useless. They could not even do anything on it. I keep contacting their support and they offer instant messaging support, and I would contact them when they were available, and one day, EVERYTIME I sent them a message, they would mysteriously go away. I even called them today. I asked them if they would set me up with another vps on a different node and they will not work with me, and will not do this for me. I got a email from their customer service/sales department saying this:

--------------
    Hello,

I do apologize, however, we are not able to transfer this VPS to a different node. I apologize, however, a shared hosting environment can never be guaranteed. If you choose to cancel you can do so via the below instructions:

Cancellations can only be processed from within your service.burst.net account. Please go to the Client Area at service.burst.net. Once you log in, click the My Products and Services tab. Then, find the product you wish to cancel and click on the View Details button. Scroll down and select the option to Request Cancellation.

I hope this was helpful. We thank you for your business.
    ------------

Are you kidding me? REALLY?!! So that means a vps from Burst can be slow/fast whenever it wants? Because they say they don't oversell. Is that how you treat a brand new customer who has been very patient during all of the bad service they have gotten, to the point where they cannot use their VPS? You just suggest that they can cancel, and without a refund? That is just disgusting really. The sad part is, I bought a server from Turnkey Internet and FTNHosting, and they run perfectly. Flawlessly. They are also a budget VPS. So there really is no excuse for horrible service like that. I do realize that BurstNet on here has a history of replying to any customer on here that voices their concerns/opinions, and I am awaiting on them to probably push it all on me and say it's my fault but I have shown nothing but the facts here, and I am not here to change anyone's mind from buying from Burst, or to give them a bad name (it seems they are making one for themselves already, judging from other posts on here) but I am here to let everyone know about the service a paying customer received from them. I have NEVER used forums to post my experiences from any online service, but I felt the need to let everyone know how I was treated with Burst, and how I am losing money in the end, because they will not fix the problem. Instead they always give me the same answer like this one:

"I have suspended a few abusive vps users. Can you please let me know if the issue has cleared up for you at this time and if you are still having the slowness of the vps."

I got that response more than once, when sending a ticket reply in and letting them know that it was still laggy and locking up.
    I find it pathetic at it's best, that a business like Burst, would rather offer a customer to cancel, than fix their issue with the service they provide.

Is seems like the whole "abusers" excuse they give me, may be legit and really happening, but does that mean all the other customers just have to deal with it everyday because these abusers keep abusing and nothing is getting done? If they are suspending every abuser, and still have more abusing everyday then something is wrong here.

To conclude this post, I want to know if anyone else has had similar experiences with Burst.net and if it is normal to have a laggy vps server, that locks up all the time, where it can take well over 10 minutes just to login at the startup screen? Please give me your feedback on this situation.
    Last edited by JasonBull; 11-21-2011 at 06:30 PM.

What specs did you have? It's always possible you didn't buy enough power to run windows, it's quite a hungry OS. However, it does sound an awful like they didn't keep check on the loads of their VMs.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBull View Post
    I recently got a windows vps with Burst.net and I have never been able to use the vps. When I first ever tried to login to it, through RDC software, it was so laggy it took like 10 minutes to be able to enter the password for the Administrator user. It took even longer to load the desktop. I have been actively utilizing their chat through AIM, and their support ticket system, and have followed what they asked me to do which was traceroutes and it seems the only explanation for the laggy server that also locks up to the point where you cannot do anything is abusers on their servers. They claim they suspend the users who are abusing, and want me to check the server again and I see no difference in performance. I know this is a budget vps, but still, there is no excuse for the fact that I have had the server for like 5 days now and cannot use it one bit. I have also had some friends login and try it from their location, and there was no difference. They said it was useless. They could not even do anything on it. I keep contacting their support and they offer instant messaging support, and I would contact them when they were available, and one day, EVERYTIME I sent them a message, they would mysteriously go away. I even called them today. I asked them if they would set me up with another vps on a different node and they will not work with me, and will not do this for me. I got a email from their customer service/sales department saying this:

--------------
    Hello,

I do apologize, however, we are not able to transfer this VPS to a different node. I apologize, however, a shared hosting environment can never be guaranteed. If you choose to cancel you can do so via the below instructions:

Cancellations can only be processed from within your service.burst.net account. Please go to the Client Area at service.burst.net. Once you log in, click the My Products and Services tab. Then, find the product you wish to cancel and click on the View Details button. Scroll down and select the option to Request Cancellation.

------------

Are you kidding me? REALLY?!! So that means a vps from Burst can be slow/fast whenever it wants? Because they say they don't oversell. Is that how you treat a brand new customer who has been very patient during all of the bad service they have gotten, to the point where they cannot use their VPS? You just suggest that they can cancel, and without a refund? That is just disgusting really.

So there really is no excuse for horrible service like that. I do realize that BurstNet on here has a history of replying to any customer on here that voices their concerns/opinions, and I am awaiting on them to probably push it all on me and say it's my fault but I have shown nothing but the facts here, and I am not here to change anyone's mind from buying from Burst, or to give them a bad name (it seems they are making one for themselves already, judging from other posts on here) but I am here to let everyone know about the service a paying customer received from them. I have NEVER used forums to post my experiences from any online service, but I felt the need to let everyone know how I was treated with Burst, and how I am losing money in the end, because they will not fix the problem. Instead they always give me the same answer like this one:

"I have suspended a few abusive vps users. Can you please let me know if the issue has cleared up for you at this time and if you are still having the slowness of the vps."

I got that response more than once, when sending a ticket reply in and letting them know that it was still laggy and locking up.
    I find it pathetic at it's best, that a business like Burst, would rather offer a customer to cancel, than fix their issue with the service they provide.

Is seems like the whole "abusers" excuse they give me, may be legit and really happening, but does that mean all the other customers just have to deal with it everyday because these abusers keep abusing and nothing is getting done? If they are suspending every abuser, and still have more abusing everyday then something is wrong here.

To conclude this post, I want to know if anyone else has had similar experiences with Burst.net and if it is normal to have a laggy vps server, that locks up all the time, where it can take well over 10 minutes just to login at the startup screen? Please give me your feedback on this situation.
    Hi Jason,

I just finished reading your entire post. It's definately not normal for them to say they don't oversubscribe resources and then they say the shared resources are never guaranteed. What is the point of a VPS if they don't ensure service quality is running like it should? I wouldn't buy a VPS if all I got was something that only worked fast sometimes. As they are the VPS Host it is their responsibility as the webhost to ensure abusers are kicked out and service running quickly like it should.

However I am a believer of 2 sides to every story and would be interested to hear BurstNET's side...

The sad part is, I bought a server from Turnkey Internet and FTNHosting, and they run perfectly. Flawlessly. They are also a budget VPS.
    Many thanks for your kind words. We'll be sure to keep on keepin' on!

Best,
    Kevin

I purchased package #1 on their budget windows vps server page. Specs are:

VPS Software: SolusVM™ / Xen™
    CPU: 1000MHZ GUARANTEED
    Memory: 512MB GUARANTEED
    Disk Space: 20GB (RAID BASED CONFIG)
    Bandwidth: 1000GB/MONTH
    IP Addresses: 2 (IPv4) + IPv6
    Management: BASIC MANAGED
    DDOS Protection: CISCO™ GUARD
    FREE SETUP $7.95/MONTH

This vps ONLY has windows installed. I was going to use it to surf the web and access files from work, but I couldn't even install Firefox on it.

FTN-Kevin,

I agree. The sad part is that I am out money. It may only be around $8 but that is still a loss because they will not fix the problem or offer me a vps that I can actually use. Instead, they just suggest I cancel and even give me the steps to cancel, without a refund.

512MB on Xen is going to be SLLLLOOOOWWWWWWWW. It may work on virutozzo due to the shared memory structure for core OS files, but on xen it is going to be using virtual memory basically for base OS.

Such is the case, the increased IO will actually slow EVERYONE on the node due to constant disk access with vmem. It is no wonder it is slow, it simply doesn't have enough RAM, and disk IO is shot to pieces due to not enough RAM to run.

Windows 2003, 2008, or a desktop version?
    Like other, I think that you just plain don't have enough RAM to run as you thought.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

It is Windows 2008 with nothing on it. I have not been able to do anything on it. How come I get a windows VPS on a vps with two different companies after Burst, and they got similar specs, especially 512 Ram, and I can use them flawlessly? Two different people from Burst Support admitted multiple times that it was abusers and nothing to do with ram. Lets say, for kicks, that it is ram, then maybe one of their support people could have told me this and I would have upgraded immediately without hesitation, so I could make use of my vps, the way I want to. Either way, the reason for posting this is to show people what I went through from Burst, and how no resolution is offered, instead a suggestion to cancel without refund.

Take a look at the packages I have from Turnkey Internet and FTNHosting:

Go to Turnkey Internet Windows VPS Server Page
    Package I got: VPS 1
    Runs Win 2003
    No Issues at all.

Go to FTNHosting Windows VPS Page
    Package I got: FTN256
    Runs Win 2003 AND has 256 ram. Runs Flawlessly.

Also I have tried Windows 2003 on BurstNet at first, and still had the same problems. OS was also reinstalled more than once. We did all these measures (me and Burst Support) while trying to solve the problems at hand. Nothing worked.

FTN-Kevin,

I agree. The sad part is that I am out money. It may only be around $8 but that is still a loss because they will not fix the problem or offer me a vps that I can actually use. Instead, they just suggest I cancel and even give me the steps to cancel, without a refund.
    Hi Jason,

Sorry to hear that According to the first ticket response you posted in your initial post they said they cannot transfer you to another server node?

Did you ask them why? I'm curious for the explanation, if the server you are on is not stable you are within your rights to request another account on a different server.

Best,
    Kevin

I would copy/paste their reply Kevin, but I cannot access BurstNet's Support Ticket area now. It seems since posting this here on WHT, they have unregistered my account and I have no more access there. What a coincidence.

Take a look at the packages I have from Turnkey Internet and FTNHosting:

Go to Turnkey Internet Windows VPS Server Page
    Package I got: VPS 1
    Runs Win 2003
    No Issues at all.

Go to FTNHosting Windows VPS Page
    Package I got: FTN256
    Runs Win 2003 AND has 256 ram. Runs Flawlessly.

Also I have tried Windows 2003 on BurstNet at first, and still had the same problems. OS was also reinstalled more than once. We did all these measures (me and Burst Support) while trying to solve the problems at hand. Nothing worked.

When you are on 512MB of ram, there is going to be a great chance of 'abuse' when everyone is using virtual memory page file backed memory.

It is very likely the other hosts are putting less per server/raid array than the burst setup. they may be using smaller servers with less server node, where burt may be using 64GB RAM + machines, and simply IO is more of an issue with them. I don't know their setup for a fact, but when you run on such low ram the chances of IO being a problem are greatly increased due to the thrashing of virtual memory.

What does this have to do with me, the customer? I realize you are probably trying to explain the way other hosts may operate and I appreciate the help, but this is going away from the whole point of this thread. I wanted people to realize exactly how a brand new customer got treated by a Hosting Company. I expect to get what I ordered, which is a good running vps. In the end, BurstNet refused to fix the issue I had, and suggested I cancel my service without a refund. And when I was getting no help from them and posted my experience here on WHT with them, they disabled/unregistered my support ticket access. That's pretty pathetic. What company that tries to make a good name for themselves, and build a big customer base, does this to a customer?

I'm sure one of our staff members will respond to this shortly, however, in the meantime, I can assure you, WE DID NOT DISABLE/UNREGISTER YOUR SUPPORT SYSTEM ACCESS/LOGIN. We don't do that except in the cases of extreme abuse of our staff, and this obviously would not apply here from the sounds of things. Perhaps your ticket was merged with another, an you are trying direct ticket login or something to that effect? If you had a support system login, it still exists, and would not have been modified/locked.

Also, we have no idea who you even are, so any WHT post you made would not have even led to such action on our part, even if we has wanted to. Your assumptions are quite incorrect here.

Please provide relevant ticket #(s), so we can investigate your claim, and either confirm or dispute the information that you have posted, and get this resolved.
    Last edited by HostJedi; 11-22-2011 at 12:26 AM.
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

Okay first off, this ticket (2977257) is not being handled by anyone. The last reply was exactly what I posted above:

Hello,

Cancellations can only be processed from within your service.burst.net account. Please go to the Client Area at https://service.burst.net. Once you log in, click the My Products and Services tab. Then, find the product you wish to cancel and click on the View Details button. Scroll down and select the option to Request Cancellation.

----------------

So that to me means no one is handling it anymore. As for my assumptions, I did reply to that same ticket, and let them know that I would seek help from WHT and posted my link to this thread in the ticket, so maybe, just maybe, I could get a resolution to this. It's strange that after I replied to the above reply from your support, my username AND email address did not work. I tried resetting my password and it said it did not exist in the database. I just now tried to login and for some strange reason, it is restored and I can access my ticket.

In any event, to resolve all of this, all I want is simply one thing. What I paid for from the beginning. A working windows vps server from the Los Angeles area. That is all I wanted from the beginning. I paid for a service days ago and have not been able to use it at all. I have sent numerous ticket replies in as well as AIM chats, and even made a phone call today, and got absolutely no where. I don't want to resort to seeking help here on WHT, but what else does a customer do when they are not getting the appropriate help from the company they chose to purchase a service from? They look for help some place else.
    If we can get this resolved, by either getting another vps setup on another node, and at this point, I don't care if it is in another location, I will take it and be happy as long as it runs and operates fine. If you cannot do this for me, and help resolve this, then maybe a refund would be the ultimate solution. All I want is a resolution instead of "Hey why don't you cancel, we will even walk you through the process!"

What does this have to do with me, the customer? I realize you are probably trying to explain the way other hosts may operate and I appreciate the help, but this is going away from the whole point of this thread. I wanted people to realize exactly how a brand new customer got treated by a Hosting Company. I expect to get what I ordered, which is a good running vps.
    What people are trying to explain, is just because you order something and expect something, doesn't mean its technically feasible or advisable. If you bought a Honda Civic, and expected it to go 200mph, would you blame Honda when it didn't? Caveat: This is not necessarily what is happening here. This is what people are TRYING to explain to you as a POSSIBLE explanation.
    I wish all my traffic went through AS174.

Well indeed they are budget provider so you don't expect much. I've read alot of things about their VPSs but their dedicated servers are good.

if they are offering you refund then you can take and move away.

Quote Originally Posted by SolidJoe View Post
    What people are trying to explain, is just because you order something and expect something, doesn't mean its technically feasible or advisable. If you bought a Honda Civic, and expected it to go 200mph, would you blame Honda when it didn't? Caveat: This is not necessarily what is happening here. This is what people are TRYING to explain to you as a POSSIBLE explanation.
    I agree, but here is the thing, Honda is usable and in fact, one of the most reliable cars today. My vps, is not usable. It took over 5 minutes to click start. That is just the beginning. Anyway, you can quote and say what you want. I realize I purchased a budget vps and I don't mind slower, as long as it works.

Also about the refund, if they simply refuse to fix the issue, and ACTUALLY offer me a refund, I will take it and go elsewhere, no problem.

Generally I believe their policy is to not give refunds. Now that the WHT rep is aware of it; your issue is likely to get dealt with.

Hi.

One of our senior engineers looked into the issue this morning and updated the ticket.

Without further details on the issue itself, however, I cannot comment on culpability. I can see that several abusive people were removed from the server, and I also note that we didn't have anyone else complaining from that server.

Neither of these items can discern where the issue lies. I'll leave it up to the engineer presently assigned to tjhe issue to help the OP.
    BurstNET_CSM - The Honey to BurstNET's Vinegar
    www.burst.net & www.burstnet.eu

First, less than 1 GB for Windows 2008 even with nothing in it will just NOT make you happy.

More importantly, from my short experience with BurstNet, it's very normal to have performance issues because of other abusive users. You report the issue to support (or someone else suffering the same issue does), they investigate your node, find the abusive users and act against them, problem solved.

They then go to ticket issuer saying "Sorry, we solved the issue, but it's normal to have performance issues on a shared server". Sometimes "shared server" is replaced with "budget provider".

It doesn't happen all the time. I have had it like 3 times in first 2 weeks, then almost other 2 weeks without having it (hence the "short" experience note").

While this should be "good enough" expectation for a budget server, one of the comments on this thread is the reason I write this, because it said:
    It's definately not normal for them to say they don't oversubscribe resources and then they say the shared resources are never guaranteed
    Yes, it's not normal, but that's the case unfortunately. People here keep saying the Xen platform helps much prevent overselling, etc.. but, then you get support telling you about being affected by other users "because it's a shared server".

On the other hand, it is mentioned in the SLA, so, you should have expected it. The problem a lot of people mention every possible issue in SLA even if their services doesn't suffer from it (not being specific on hosting here) that some shoppers assume they it's just being defensive, and they are not subject to those issues, and ignore them when buying. Some others don't even read them. Then you get this kind of issues, sales pitch suggests you it shouldn't happen "normally", but SLA and support tell you it does.
    Last edited by Mohamed Meligy; 11-23-2011 at 03:32 AM.
    Mohamed Meligy
    Senior Developer / Consultant at Readify Pty Ltd
    ASP.NET Technologies - Sydney, Australia
    Blog: GuruStop.NET - Twitter: @Meligy

I just want to let everyone know that Burst did switch nodes and give me a new VPS yesterday, and it runs great. No problems at all, and runs just like the other VPS servers I have. I appreciate the fact that they made it right and fixed the issue I was having. Now I am happy with my service and appreciate the support I have gotten from Burst, and here on WHT.
    Thanks Guys!

I just want to let everyone know that Burst did switch nodes and give me a new VPS yesterday, and it runs great. No problems at all, and runs just like the other VPS servers I have. I appreciate the fact that they made it right and fixed the issue I was having. Now I am happy with my service and appreciate the support I have gotten from Burst, and here on WHT.
    Thanks Guys!
    Glad to know that.

+1 for WHT support forums.
    Erick T.