Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1

    Anonymous Offshore Web-hosting Needs , To Protect Privacy And Freedom Of Speech

    Hi all,

    I am designing a website for one of our client, who is going to host a Anti-Paid media content & will expose the corrupt media practice.

    And to host such website, client is asking me for Anonymous Offshore Web-hosting to protect their Identity, Free Speech and legal mess.

    Website model : Client will post the article with max 20% content with back-link under some specific tags like "Propaganda News" and where user can write their own comments.

    I did my own research and comes up with down below list of Anonymous Offshore Web-hosting services:

    http://www.altushost.com/ Location: Netherlands / Sweden

    http://underhost.com/ Location: Netherlands / China / Russia

    http://knownsrv.com/ Location: Netherlands / Germany

    http://www.panamaserver.com/ Location: Panama

    http://www.offshoreracks.com/ Location: Panama

    http://prq.se/ Location : Sweden

    Now i need your help to suggest me which one is best from your own personal experiences. And if you know any other better solution please let me know.

    Note: If you own or reseller such service please specifies it while suggesting a better solution.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    987
    http://www.altushost.com/ bad reviews everywhere

    http://underhost.com/ looks like a reseller, also "China" and "Freedom Of Speech" don't go together + you need ICP license to host in China

    http://knownsrv.com/ maybe. lots of warez/hacking boards hosted with them

    Although any host should be fine as long as your content is legal? If you want freedom of speech go for USA hosting

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Modesto California
    Posts
    5,919
    Personally, I think its important to go over with your client that offshore hosting, in most cases is used by people who are looking to host illegal websites. This in turn leads the those types of servers being constantly abused or targeted for DDOS attackes, which leads to poor service.

    From what I can tell, I dont think your client would have any trouble hosting that type of website in the USA/Canada/UK..ect (more reputable datacenters). Also, if you are worried about the web host shutting you down, have you thought about setting up a dedicated solution so you have control of the full server?
    Visit GoFGG.com (FernGullyGraphics) for useful information about web hosting and development.

    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by n!ghtmare View Post
    http://www.altushost.com/ bad reviews everywhere

    http://underhost.com/ looks like a reseller, also "China" and "Freedom Of Speech" don't go together + you need ICP license to host in China

    http://knownsrv.com/ maybe. lots of warez/hacking boards hosted with them

    Although any host should be fine as long as your content is legal? If you want freedom of speech go for USA hosting
    Freedom of speech go for USA hosting (Sorry but LOLZ)their is no such thing left in U.S.

    As i posted above client is also looking for protection against copyright arm twisting as site will cause panic for Corrupt News Media. (Ever one knows how U.S. media Ignoring Ron Paul)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    404
    If you want freedom of speech there is no other place like the United States.

    I like this phrase "Anti-Paid media content" ... Sorry but no legit host will allow that.

    Edit ... to let you know freedom of speech does not allow you to give away digital items for free ... that is plain out stealing.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Personally, I think its important to go over with your client that offshore hosting, in most cases is used by people who are looking to host illegal websites. This in turn leads the those types of servers being constantly abused or targeted for DDOS attackes, which leads to poor service.

    From what I can tell, I dont think your client would have any trouble hosting that type of website in the USA/Canada/UK..ect (more reputable datacenters). Also, if you are worried about the web host shutting you down, have you thought about setting up a dedicated solution so you have control of the full server?
    Thanks for your valuable information, but as much i know Big media houses have their own legal team who can go to any extent to shut my client site as it will hurt their business and brand.

    And they could send a DMCA notice (as my client will republish the news article under fair use) just to get my client physical contact address information.

    And if i host their website on U.S./Canada server their are high chances they will be able to shutdown client website as legal system always backs big corporations & media houses. And my client can't afford attorney.

  7. #7
    Just saw this latest news on Protect-IP Act...

    http://www.ufo-blogger.com/2011/11/p...-internet.html

    Things are getting scary

  8. #8
    Unless your website is specifically targeting or making threats against something/somewhere else, why not host in the United States?

    There is nothing illegal about freedom of speech as long it doesn't cross the line into direct threats.
    NewYorkCityServers.com - The Servers That Never Sleep
    Enterprise Dedicated Servers In The Heart of Manhattan | View Our Low Latency Network!
    24x7x365 Support | Live Chat For Sales And Support | Less Than 15 Minute Support Replies
    Nick Esposito | nick @ newyorkcityservers . com | +1.855.687.6927

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,761
    For political and protection from libel/slander laws, the US is still the best (if you are libeling/slandering public figures, that is). There is no hate speech legislation in the US, as there is in most EU countries (and in Canada).

    Offshore hosts are usually for pirated material and, in some cases, pornography that runs afoul of "community standards" in the US. For instance, if you are wanting to have images of teens over 15 but under 18 and they are erotic in nature, you will run into trouble in the US.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Modesto California
    Posts
    5,919
    Quote Originally Posted by webspider2012 View Post
    Thanks for your valuable information, but as much i know Big media houses have their own legal team who can go to any extent to shut my client site as it will hurt their business and brand.

    And they could send a DMCA notice (as my client will republish the news article under fair use) just to get my client physical contact address information.

    And if i host their website on U.S./Canada server their are high chances they will be able to shutdown client website as legal system always backs big corporations & media houses. And my client can't afford attorney.
    Well im not a lawyer, so I don't want to give you bad advice that would end up resulting in your clients site getting shut down. I do know that the climate for such sites is becoming more and more dangerous as politicians are trying to pass laws which will censor what people can and can not say on the internet. I still think that is a few years away though and it wont happen without a large amount of people going down without a fight (but its still a possibility). I guess your best bet it to find an offshore web-host that is not known for hosting questionable material (which might be tough).
    Visit GoFGG.com (FernGullyGraphics) for useful information about web hosting and development.

    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nassau, The Bahamas
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
    Offshore hosts are usually for pirated material and, in some cases, pornography that runs afoul of "community standards" in the US. For instance, if you are wanting to have images of teens over 15 but under 18 and they are erotic in nature, you will run into trouble in the US.
    Whoa, that's a broad brush you're painting with there Picasso!

    Most hosting providers - offshore or onshore - prohibit financial scams, copyright infringement, botnets, porn, spam, proxies and lots more.

    A lot of people decide to use hosting outside the USA, Canada or EU for other reasons, such as:

    - personal privacy
    - data protection
    - freedom of speech
    - tax advantages
    - avoiding "frivolous" legal claims

    There might be some bad apples out there, but most hosting providers are running a pretty tight ship. Often times, the quality of the hosting is just as important as the legal treatment of the country in which you are hosting.

    - Richard
    Secure Hosting | Premium Cloud & Dedicated hosting solutions since 2001
    email: sales(at)securehost(dot)com +1-242-502-8700 24/7 support by phone/helpdesk
    Located in The Bahamas & Bermuda: Redundant Cooling, Power & Network, PCI DSS compliant, 7ms from USA

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Modesto California
    Posts
    5,919
    Quote Originally Posted by rdouglas View Post
    Whoa, that's a broad brush you're painting with there Picasso!

    Most hosting providers - offshore or onshore - prohibit financial scams, copyright infringement, botnets, porn, spam, proxies and lots more.

    A lot of people decide to use hosting outside the USA, Canada or EU for other reasons, such as:

    - personal privacy
    - data protection
    - freedom of speech
    - tax advantages
    - avoiding "frivolous" legal claims

    There might be some bad apples out there, but most hosting providers are running a pretty tight ship. Often times, the quality of the hosting is just as important as the legal treatment of the country in which you are hosting.

    - Richard
    More like the tree is full of bad apples, but you might be able to find some good ones. It really all comes down to the laws which are enforced in that particular country. Most "offshore" hosts operate out of countries where pirating, pornography are not strictly enforced or enforced at all.

    Looking for dependable offshore hosting is somewhat of a catch 22 in my opinion. Not saying its impossible to find reliable "offshore" hosting, but its definitely not the norm.
    Visit GoFGG.com (FernGullyGraphics) for useful information about web hosting and development.

    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nassau, The Bahamas
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    More like the tree is full of bad apples, but you might be able to find some good ones. It really all comes down to the laws which are enforced in that particular country. Most "offshore" hosts operate out of countries where pirating, pornography are not strictly enforced or enforced at all.

    Looking for dependable offshore hosting is somewhat of a catch 22 in my opinion. Not saying its impossible to find reliable "offshore" hosting, but its definitely not the norm.
    Yes, you are right, looking at the local laws is a very important consideration.

    From experience I can say that having e-commerce regulations in place is helpful both from a "know your rights" and a "protection" standpoint. Some jurisdictions have e-commerce legislation to further enhance hosting in those countries, while other countries have no legislation and very loose common laws about everything else.

    - Richard

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Orlando, Fl
    Posts
    118
    The U.S. is not the only place to host a website. The biggest issue with hosting your site internationally is not reliability, but communication. If you're hosting your site in another country, yes you want to ensure the company is reliable, but more so you want to ensure you can communicate with them.

    So long as you do your research, looking up reviews, communicating with prospective companies, you'll be fine. It sets a bad precedence that the people condemning international hosting are all American. Let's all try to please supress our natural isolationist tendencies.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Geovanie R View Post
    The U.S. is not the only place to host a website. The biggest issue with hosting your site internationally is not reliability, but communication. If you're hosting your site in another country, yes you want to ensure the company is reliable, but more so you want to ensure you can communicate with them.

    So long as you do your research, looking up reviews, communicating with prospective companies, you'll be fine. It sets a bad precedence that the people condemning international hosting are all American. Let's all try to please supress our natural isolationist tendencies.
    Thanks for sharing your views, but i am doing exactly what you said above.

    But now i need specific information like which one is reliable Anonymous Offshore(Non-US)Web-hosting which can protect my client Privacy,Copyright Arm twisting (DMCA notice just to know Identity)Freedom of speech and Hate speech against corrupt News channels & print media.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by webspider2012 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your views, but i am doing exactly what you said above.

    But now i need specific information like which one is reliable Anonymous Offshore(Non-US)Web-hosting which can protect my client Privacy,Copyright Arm twisting (DMCA notice just to know Identity)Freedom of speech and Hate speech against corrupt News channels & print media.
    Let's see just what we have here...

    You want to pay someone for media space and time to foster an "anti paid media campaign".

    You want some one outside of the US to protect your client's (presumably a US citizen) privacy and freedom of speech.

    You want to publish "Hate speech against corrupt News channels & print media".

    Oh, and you are afraid of "Copyright Arm twisting" but you agree to follow the rules of fair use anyway.

    You want to enter the news media realm to expose the news media.

    You have far worse problems than finding web hosting...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    393
    I toss my recommendation for PRQ. Cheaper.

    CB3ROB - Close connections to TPB/Runs one of anonymous's irc server. Grows weed in bunker. NDA can be signed, you can go blank if you pay VAT. You will pay about 175 USD/M.

    Serious Tubes Network - somewhat cheaper than cb3rob but a plus is they host/announce thepiratebay.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by srfreeman View Post
    Let's see just what we have here...

    You want to pay someone for media space and time to foster an "anti paid media campaign".

    You want some one outside of the US to protect your client's (presumably a US citizen) privacy and freedom of speech.

    You want to publish "Hate speech against corrupt News channels & print media".

    Oh, and you are afraid of "Copyright Arm twisting" but you agree to follow the rules of fair use anyway.

    You want to enter the news media realm to expose the news media.

    You have far worse problems than finding web hosting...
    Few corrections on your above made comment:

    Pay someone for media space and time [Nope Client don't have any such intention]

    1. The client is not from U.S.

    2. Enter the news media realm [Only Online]

    Now i request you to share some informative information instead of dissecting what ha already said above.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by webspider2012 View Post
    Few corrections on your above made comment:

    Pay someone for media space and time [Nope Client don't have any such intention]

    1. The client is not from U.S.

    2. Enter the news media realm [Only Online]

    Now i request you to share some informative information instead of dissecting what ha already said above.
    Ok, I'll break it down a bit for you.

    The World Wide Web is a Media Source like any other. Your client does seem intent on paying for space on the World Wide Web. Paid media fighting paid media; Just another pot calling the kettle black scenario.

    Ok, not from the US, regardless. How do you presume to find someone interested in protecting privacy and freedom of speech? It seems to be your premise that these things are bought out in the US and that is bad. Now you presume to casually pay someone for them. Seems kind of silly to me.

    Attempting to become part of the news media (you want to spread your news, right) to berate the very entity that you so badly want to be a part of and to use hate speech to do it - just a terrifically unstable platform to stand on.

    Finding a web host or anyone else that would support such an obviously flawed idea would simply point out that they are in place only to undermine you, recommendations would just be useless.

    Now, if you feel you have a better way to dispense information and have a well founded understanding of journalism, the world is your oyster. Compete on your own merits and hosting is open to you world wide, without your perceived fears.
    Last edited by srfreeman; 11-23-2011 at 06:48 AM.

  20. #20

    *

    Quote Originally Posted by qwizie View Post
    I toss my recommendation for PRQ. Cheaper.

    CB3ROB - Close connections to TPB/Runs one of anonymous's irc server. Grows weed in bunker. NDA can be signed, you can go blank if you pay VAT. You will pay about 175 USD/M.

    Serious Tubes Network - somewhat cheaper than cb3rob but a plus is they host/announce thepiratebay.
    Thanks, for sharing the information.

  21. #21
    Bump for an old topic since I have projects that is similar to OP. Already searched and read around but wondering if anyone has more information or any recommendations? PRQ is a bit overpriced, but looking for along the lines of shared or reseller hosting offers. Not looking for anonymous hosting but just hosting that respects privacy and not to bend over to the first threat they receive. Host will need to hold freedom of speech in the highest regard and preferably operating out of a country that gives respect the same for their citizens.

    I share the same thoughts as OP with earlier comments. With domain seizures run amok including that of legitimate sites like jotform there's more the reasons to look for hosting and domains where there is more respect.

    Thanks
    Last edited by laurcada; 03-06-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: being more specific

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by n!ghtmare View Post
    Although any host should be fine as long as your content is legal? If you want freedom of speech go for USA hosting
    It depends on what the speech is about Forget about freedom of speech in USA ( in a long run I mean)
    Internet Brothers Asia*SEOUL South Korea Since 1999
    http://www.internetbrothers.co.kr Business Registration 134-11-18207
    ▇ ASIA KOREA Web Hosting with English Support focusing on International clients in/out of Korea
    Cloud XEN VPS, VDS , Dedicated Servers physically located in South Korea Twitter @internetbros

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    43
    According to Wikipedia, WikiLeaks used to be hosted at prq which says a lot about them, I'd say they are the best option.

    Until August 2010, WikiLeaks was hosted by PRQ, a Sweden-based company providing "highly secure, no-questions-asked hosting services"

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    339
    Not talking about a particular company but any country that has friendly relationship with a country that you are trying to avoid is just NOT a good idea. There is no 100% free speech out there you just have to know your enemies and friends. Choose your host carefully depending on what content you want to have.
    Internet Brothers Asia*SEOUL South Korea Since 1999
    http://www.internetbrothers.co.kr Business Registration 134-11-18207
    ▇ ASIA KOREA Web Hosting with English Support focusing on International clients in/out of Korea
    Cloud XEN VPS, VDS , Dedicated Servers physically located in South Korea Twitter @internetbros

  25. Newsletters

    Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Similar Threads

  1. Web Hosting Canada - Freedom of Speech - Non-Oversold Space - 98% OFF
    By RottenRemains in forum Shared Hosting Offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2010, 05:39 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-04-2010, 03:11 PM
  3. Offshore web hosting - freedom of speech
    By Moriarty in forum Shared Hosting Offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-24-2006, 09:28 AM
  4. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-07-2005, 10:25 PM
  5. Freedom of speech and privacy
    By 777 in forum Web Hosting Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 05:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •