Thread: Testing a VPS ?

Testing a VPS ?

What are the basic tests I should run to know the VPS provides what is announced ?

I currently have 4 VPS's with different providers that are around the below setup:

The OS is CentOS 5.5, 64b.

Config is 1 to 2GB RAM GUARANTEED+burst, 2.5GHz 1 to 4 CPU's, RAID-10 SAN 15k RPM SAS storage.

Price average I am paying for each is 40$ so at each provider I've got a different setup as above.

Virtualization that I am testing currently XEN, OpenVZ, Virtuozzo and KVM.

When should a provider cut you from burst memory usage ? I mean, you can burst the memory to X but for how long should you use it or when and how ?

Any other advices ?

I was using the search for something but perhaps my keywords "vps test" weren't that good to find any relevant information.

Best regards.

You can try running UnixBench and compare them to each other and similar systems on the WHT thread for it.

Burst memory on VZ and Virtuozzo are not what you think. It's not some memory that you can burst to temporarily above your guaranteed memory. Your burst memory is your maximum used+allocated memory limit.

I see thanks, am doing that now

So I guess I can search for unixbench for other results to compare with right ?

http://vpsbenchmarks.net/ would be a good place to compare results with. They perform a variety of the most used VPS tests.
    IT & Hosting Solutions Rotherham - Virtual6 Ltd
    IT Distributor | IT Manufacturer | Hosted Products | Business IT Support

If its a VPS then it must be on any hyper-v node. There are some limitations on a standalone node like they can allow expansion to a certain limit, at least 4 GB memory should left unused for other operations otherwise it may created major issues with node. If its a could VPS then it is designed on cluster environment containing multiple server which allow your VM to expand its resources. Due to very high specification resources its flexible to allow grow your VM in cloud which is not the case with hyper-v
    So it depends how much resources are available on node otherwise your provider will suspend operations of your VM

Quote Originally Posted by prixone View Post
    I see thanks, am doing that now

So I guess I can search for unixbench for other results to compare with right ?
    interested to know your results as well.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

Quote Originally Posted by VMPort View Post
    http://vpsbenchmarks.net/ would be a good place to compare results with. They perform a variety of the most used VPS tests.
    Great site too bad there inst a search option so have to use google to search around it.

Quote Originally Posted by storminternet View Post
    If its a VPS then it must be on any hyper-v node. There are some limitations on a standalone node like they can allow expansion to a certain limit, at least 4 GB memory should left unused for other operations otherwise it may created major issues with node. If its a could VPS then it is designed on cluster environment containing multiple server which allow your VM to expand its resources. Due to very high specification resources its flexible to allow grow your VM in cloud which is not the case with hyper-v
    So it depends how much resources are available on node otherwise your provider will suspend operations of your VM
    Thanks for the advices, they are all hyber-v or atleast unixbench says so. I see, I will keep an eye out for it, dont think I will need more then 2 GB for a long time either way.

Quote Originally Posted by CH Hosting View Post
    interested to know your results as well.
    Will save then once I get it all done and report here later.