View Poll Results: Is anyone else tired of all these polls?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! Enough already. the mods should disable the feature.

10 28.57%
  • Oh yes. The mods should ban anyone who makes another poll this year (after this one, of course).

3 8.57%
  • Sure. Let's dunk one hand in warm water while they're sleeping or at the keyboard (or boht).

2 5.71%
  • I say put itching powder on their mouse instead and tickle their nose with a feather.

3 8.57%
  • No, I can't get enough of these inane polls.

17 48.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who is tired of all these polls?

Does anybody else feel the poll feature is being abused or overused and that some people should just keep their opinions to themselves?

I was thinking exact the same thought. Was thinking to post a poll and see what other people thin.. but then I thought not "another poll!"..
    (SH)Saeed

I'm also tired of polls, especially this one
    No, really, but to disable polls is to hard. 1 out of 10 is really interesting. Everyone should think and rethink "Is my poll really needed" before posting.

BC and me had discussed this issue a few days ago.. we are waiting for the other mods to give there input...
    The Php Support Desk
    http://www.phpsupportdesk.com
    Custom programming - kunal @ e-phoria.com
    http://www.pingzine.com - Ping!Zine. the FREE, FRESH and EXCITING Web Hosting Magazine...

Well...

I voted to terminate them, but I must say, polls can be very handy, but people are are just abusing them and creating all sorts of stupid polls
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine

I LOVE POLLS!!!!! I have really seen to many of them since I've joined, it doesn't seem like a prob, but hey.........
    Colin

I don't think they should be disabled, only people should take it a little easier on the polls. You do not need to start a poll for every question or opinion.
    (SH)Saeed

What Zolbian said. There are a few people who create polls that aren't really polls. What do you think of my web site (hate it/love it) type ones, etc. I dunno, doesn't really bother me either way. If I have input I vote, if not, I just read it and pass on.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

This poll was meant as a whimsical way of expressing a minor annoyance with the abusing of the poll feature. Like cperciva''s poll meant to point out that some people should stop whining about the rules and just follow them, this one is meant to point out that some people should stop with the poll taking.

I had thought some of the choices given, especially the second - fourth would indicate the whimsy. They are light and the third and fourth are things similar to what some kids (which includes some hosts) do at camp. It also sounds better than "shoot 'em, burn 'em, hang em".

I didn't seriously mean that the poll feature shoudl be disabled (although I wouldn't miss it if it was temporarily suspended). I think the feature could be improved by having any polls go to a moderator for review before posting to the forum. The primary reason is that meaningful choices could be given. What I said in another poll still apllies, most of the choices given are inadequate for serious answers.

The comments people make about a company or issue are often more revealing and insightful than their mere opinion of approval or disapproval anyway.

To anyone even thinking of creating a poll, please ask yourself the following questions:
    1. Will anyone other than me care about the results?

2. Do I really care about the results or do I just want to play with the poll feature?

3. Will the poll add value to the forum or be a waste of space and bandwidth?

4. Can I create valid choices for people to give serious answers and not have to accept my poor choices or nothing?

5. Would a poll add anything of value beyond what discussion adds?

Please give those questions more thought than have gone into most of the polls of late.

What about a Polling Forum? Only allowing polls in that specific forum? Then we wouldnt have to put up with the trash

Any Comments?
    back from the dead

What about a Polling Forum? Only allowing polls in that specific forum?
    Maybe you should start a poll on this topic....

Obviously not all people think as we do. When I loaded WHT right now there are 2-3 new polls..
    (SH)Saeed

Leave the polls, why do people have to complain about everything???

First they complain about webhost's sigs.
    Now they complain about polls

sums up = jealousy

[sarcasm on]
    Oh yes. We're so jealous of all these stupid polls, like the latest stupid poll that asks where people are from (instead opf where they live), and then leaves off a country like Canada, even though several regulars live there.

You've got me. I'm just green with jealousy that I didn't think of a stupid poll like that! See, here' s my little green face
    [sarcasm off]
    Last edited by Duster; 05-17-2001 at 05:44 PM.

Originally posted by Hostexp

sums up = jealousy
    hehe, maybe someone will complain about existence of WHT.
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

sums up = jealousy

Jealousy? So you mean we can't start a poll? Umm..

I don't know about others, but personally I think lately there have been to many unnecessary polls.

Examples:
    - What Country are you from?
    - YOu are Male or Female ?
    - What do you think about my new avatar?

See where I'm going with this? It's not that they are so annoying I can't stand to see them. It's just that this is a very good knowledge board and I have learnt a lot in the past few months. I feel those kind of polls belong in a chit chat board.
    (SH)Saeed

Originally posted by Nicholas Brown
    What about a Polling Forum? Only allowing polls in that specific forum? Then we wouldnt have to put up with the trash

Any Comments?
    There shouldn't be a need for one, just as there shoudn't be a bunch of stupid polls. I think you've got a good idea there, Nicholas. A forum just for polls would get that noise away from discussions and make all parties content. I'm all for it, especially since the people creating these stupid polls are continuing unabated.

Ahem the "jealousy" was related to webhost's sigs. You seem to be against them, the reason is because they do make some profit from those sigs, whilst you done eh? You seem to complain about everything, thats why you title suits you
    Originally posted by Duster
    [sarcasm on]
    Oh yes. We're so jealous of all these stupid polls, like the lates satupid poll that askls where people are from, and then leaves off a country like Canada, even though several regulars live there.

You've got me. I'm just green with jealousy that I didn't think of a stupid poll like that!
    [sarcasm off]

Well wake up! The polls are in the general conversation forum! that is the same as a chit chat forum. They belong there. If you don't like seeing them, don't read the General Conversation Forum.
    Originally posted by zolbian

Jealousy? So you mean we can't start a poll? Umm..

I don't know about others, but personally I think lately there have been to many unnecessary polls.

Examples:
    - What Country are you from?
    - YOu are Male or Female ?
    - What do you think about my new avatar?

See where I'm going with this? It's not that they are so annoying I can't stand to see them. It's just that this is a very good knowledge board and I have learnt a lot in the past few months. I feel those kind of polls belong in a chit chat board.

[sarcasm on]
    Oh yes. We're so jealous of all these stupid polls, like the lates satupid poll that askls where people are from, and then leaves off a country like Canada, even though several regulars live there.

You've got me. I'm just green with jealousy that I didn't think of a stupid poll like that!
    [sarcasm off]

Hehehehe. Didn't you know that India and Malaysia are more important than Canada?

PS. Lets start a poll to see how many people in here breathes air.
    (SH)Saeed

There are no rules against it. No one is going to stop making polls because you disklike them

There shouldn't be a need for one, just as there shoudn't be a bunch of stupid polls. I think you've got a good idea there, Nicholas. A forum just for polls would get that noise away from discussions and make all parties content. I'm all for it, especially since the people creating these stupid polls are continuing unabated.

Well wake up! The polls are in the general conversation forum! that is the same as a chit chat forum. They belong there. If you don't like seeing them, don't read the General Conversation Forum.

I click on "View new posts" and it will show me all of them. Am I feeling someone getting defensive here? What forum are we in btw?
    (SH)Saeed

No i'm not getting defensive, i am just tired of you people complaining about everything. You just want everything to suit your needs. We are in the General Conversation forum (DUH?). Take a look at the poll, more people voted to keep them.
    Originally posted by zolbian

I click on "View new posts" and it will show me all of them. Am I feeling someone getting defensive here? What forum are we in btw?

No i'm not getting defensive, i am just tired of you people complaining about everything. You just want everything to suit your needs. We are in the General Conversation forum (DUH?). Take a look at the poll, more people voted to keep them.
    Offcourse, I voted to keep them as well. I'm not voting agains the existing of polls, if used right they can be pretty interesting. I'm just saying maybe people should take it a little easier on the polls, specially the so called "general forum" polls.
    (SH)Saeed

Another one added to the list: I change my avatar again, now what do you think?

Hehe.. anyways people, I'm off to bed. You all have a good day/night and don't do or say anything interesting till I wake up.

night.
    (SH)Saeed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast