Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Godaddy Managed Server Failure - Terrible Support

I work for a company that is an business class ISP. We have a managed dedicated server on Godaddy that has been down for 5 days now ( still not fixed and not expected it to be fixed anytime soon ). This server is used for our customer's websites/email.

The server was root compromised, they have taken out the hard drive and reinstalled the OS/Plesk on another drive two days later and we've been waiting for 3 days for them to restore the user data and they've still not be able to do so.

We've been told over and over, we'll have that back up in 24 hours and still nothing. Can't even log into the server to just get temporary services up and running for the customers that can't do business without their email.

We keep getting the run around over and over and no results, no calls back. Obviously they don't have the competence, ability or sense of priority to deliver managed services. I could have fixed this problem on my own in less than 24 hours without knowing anything about Plesk ( I used to do small time web hosting using Cpanel on a VPS ).

We've had a lot of email issues in the past, usually simple stuff like them needing to change the time on the server ( which keeps occurring so obviously they don't bother to actually fix the cause ). That and when they ( force ) upgraded Plesk several months back everything was messed up and it took a lot of calls to get them even come close to fixing any of it. We ended up having to do most of it with our limited access ( since it's managed we have no root/command line access ).

Not only do I find that our system being down for so long unacceptable, I find their support into be very lacking all around.

I understand some companies will make mistakes and should be given the opportunity to resolve them but 5 days is way too long in this business to be down, 48 hours is too long. I expect that sort of level of "service" on a shared hosting $60 a month site not a $300+ a month managed server.

So I'm sharing this here to make sure others consider more reputable companies for their manages server needs.
    Last edited by wolfjlupus; 11-09-2011 at 11:00 AM.
    ---
    Jeremy M Wilton

Lupushost.com

First of all I am really sorry to hear about this issue! I have had great experiences on Godaddy (Not dedicated servers though). I would not expect a company like Godaddy to be so slow in their support and solving a server problem. I have heard rumors about the dedicated servers downtime but I honestly did not believe any of them. I mean.. It is Godaddy. It is really a trusted company.
    MartensenNet - Quality Shared Webhosting
    cPanel | Instant Setup | 99.99% Uptime | 24/7 support
    MartensenNet.com - If you are interested in quality .

Sorry to hear about this but unfortunately with huge companies like this, things like that will happen. I prefer much more a smaller company where you know the techs by name and who to call when you need things resolved.
    BlackMesh Managed Hosting - Highly Available hosted solutions - Drupal, WordPress, and more!
    24x7x365 *Unlimited* Phone & E-mail Support. Founded in 2003.
    PCI, FISMA, and HIPAA compliant solutions
    rjohnson@blackmesh.com | 888-473-0854 x720

I second that, the larger companies can have bad response times. I have had the same issues with just domain name problems, let alone a whole server!
    Justin

Godaddy and 1and1 are known for its bad support services.
    Hosting and software in Colombia
    www.soluwebcolombia.com

I have also heard a few bad things about the VPS and dedicated servers from GoDaddy. Not sure about them myself though.

I agree a small company is a better option in most of the cases as you can contact the techs personally. 5 days is way too much time for a server to be down.
    MantraGrid - Cloud VPS | Dedicated Servers | Managed Services
    |+| 24x7 Support | 99.9% Uptime SLA | Friendly Staff
    |+| High Performance Enterprise Servers Premium Network
    Join us on Facebook - FB.com/TheServerGuy or follow @theserverguy on Twitter

That must really suck. Sorry to hear about the bad services. What are you going to do? Are you going to stay with them or packup and find a new provider?

Stay with them? That would be nuts.
    Find a better host -- there are plenty to choose from, and pretty much anybody is better than Godaddy.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || New Editorial: HostGator Alternatives & Who is EIG?
    ||

Sorry.. Godaddy is good enough for casual hosting.. You will be better of finding a new host to handle your dedicated server needs.

GoDaddy take your money then leave you in the cold.

GoDaddy is good to register domains and no more...

Quote Originally Posted by shvinod View Post
    Sorry.. Godaddy is good enough for casual hosting.. You will be better of finding a new host to handle your dedicated server needs.
    Actually, I would disagree. I've never known GoDaddy to be good at anything other than selling domains at a loss to gain market share. Everyone who has tried their hosting 'efforts' have always ended up complaining about them.
    miniVPS - UK Based Value and Premium VPS Servers!
    Xavvo.com Innovative Hosting for Innovative People!

Quote Originally Posted by GerhardG View Post
    GoDaddy is good to register domains and no more...
    Given their history with ignoring ICANN policy (60-day rule, confiscation for "spam", etc), they're an untrustworthy registrar, too! You'd be much better off with Namecheap or Directnic.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || New Editorial: HostGator Alternatives & Who is EIG?
    ||

Well I have suggested to my management to leave them, if they will decide to do so is up to them. They did eventually get it back up but we're still plagued with random issues.

Just today we found out our managed dedicated server somehow goes through a server prior to hitting the net. It almost sounds like our dedicated server is actually a VPS which if it is I think constitutes fraud as far as I'm concerned.

We're still having random issues with time being incorrect ( even though they supposedly permanently fixed the time problem last time ) for email and email problems sending and receiving. It's far beyond unacceptable.
    ---
    Jeremy M Wilton

Lupushost.com

Update

We will be moving to another server with another company, we've already moved most our customers over. We changed to non-managed in the mean time because we again had issues which they could not resolve. They've still yet to give us our credentials to actually manage our server fully ( so we can resolve it ) and that was a month ago now.

It's always the back and forth with these guys with no resolution.

Stay away from Godaddy they are terrible.
    ---
    Jeremy M Wilton

Lupushost.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast