Two quick question..

1. Where does one go to get mod_gzip and install it on their server? Is it free to get?

2. The ownership of the cgi-bin folder on my account was change. That's what support told me in terms of my cgi not working anymore. They have since fixed it but the question is for future reference, how would I fix this problem by changing back the ownership of the cgi-bin folder?

Hi!

1- http://sourceforge.net/projects/mod-gzip/, yes is free to get.

2- Unfortunatelly you wont be able to change the ownership, you'll need ask to your host to do it.

Regards
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Regarding cgi-bin:

It depends on what you are trying to achieve, you can also chmod the cgi-bin if you have FTP for example WSFTP, just highlight the cgi-bin directory and right click your mouse and select chmod.

In most cases cgi-bin need to be chmod 755 for most scripts to work in the directory and also most cgi/pl file are also chmod 755/777

If you have shell access(SSH) you could use the following command to check owner/group/permssions/date of file of the cgi-bin:

ls -ld /home/username/public_html/cgi-bin

You should see something like:

drwxr-xr-x 2 owner group 1024 Feb 2 12:45 cgi-bin

For example to give you complete access and everyone else no access at all, your Host would have to chmod 700 the cgi-bin directory.
    WHO AM I? CLICK HERE!