hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Hostgator memory limit is 64mb?

Forum Jump

Hostgator memory limit is 64mb?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

Hostgator memory limit is 64mb?

Isn't this too low? support.hostgator.com/articles/cpanel/php-settings-that-cannot-be-changed Companies like hawkhost provide 128mb for a cheaper rate. Didn't Hostgator used to give higher memory limits?

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare0505 View Post
Isn't this too low? support.hostgator.com/articles/cpanel/php-settings-that-cannot-be-changed Companies like hawkhost provide 128mb for a cheaper rate. Didn't Hostgator used to give higher memory limits?
What do you expect? Its shared hosting. Just imagine 100 customers having 64 MB limits in the same server. If you need more memory then there are 2 problems:
1. Your script or PHP is coded incorrectly and should be more optimized to use less memory
2. You should get a VPS or server if you have memory hungry scripts.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibb View Post
If you need more memory then there are 2 problems:
1. Your script or PHP is coded incorrectly and should be more optimized to use less memory
2. You should get a VPS or server if you have memory hungry scripts.
I argee, I see people around here alot thinking their shared hosting account should act like a dedicated server

Sponsored Links
Old
Disabled

Agree, I see many members complaining about hosting providers that they suspended them and say lot of negative things about them without knowing the fact that they are in Shared environment and their website needs more

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
I argee, I see people around here alot thinking their shared hosting account should act like a dedicated server
A shared hosting is good for a number of things,but it doesn't do miracles

Old

You all miss the point. The point isn't what a shared hosting can or cannot do, the point is comparing what different shared hosting providers offer, in other words, finding the best bang for the bucks.

If Hostgator offers 64MB with others offering:
a) Litespeed
b) Easier installation tools like Softalicious
c) 128mb
d) Higher CPU load

then Hostgator is definitely not the best hosting for the money they ask.

Old
Web Hosting Master

There is no perfect host,that's why we all exist Hostgator offers a very reliable service and for some people these limits are more than ok.

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramdox View Post
There is no perfect host,that's why we all exist Hostgator offers a very reliable service and for some people these limits are more than ok.
First, nobody said there is a perfect host. Where did I say there's a perfect host? Did you read something like that?

Second, AGAIN, we are talking about getting THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCKS. This post's point is whether Hostgator offers the best price/performance and everyone's expressing their own opinion. Hostgator SUPPORT is NOT part of their servers PERFORMANCE and thus cannot be included in this comparison.

Old
Forest Lover!

When your website grows larger it will be sluggish slow with most of the unlimited hosts like hostgator.

you have to switch to vps or dedicated server when websites become large

hostmerry.com

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronics2011 View Post
When your website grows larger it will be sluggish slow with most of the unlimited hosts like hostgator
That's not a big issue they have a VPS so you could easily upgrade and transfer...the thing's bugging me is their low memory. Not sure if that impacts website speed etc, anyone that can explain how memory will affect site performance, say a blog like wordpress receiving 10k visitors a day..

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
That's not a big issue they have a VPS so you could easily upgrade and transfer...the thing's bugging me is their low memory. Not sure if that impacts website speed etc, anyone that can explain how memory will affect site performance, say a blog like wordpress receiving 10k visitors a day..
It's not going to change anything. This stops people running badly written php code you know the sort of people who think select * and do the work in php is a good idea since sql is so "hard". They are experts after reading there php for dummies book after all.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Hostgator has its pro's and con's sure the memory limit is annoying especially for those that host wordpress blogs with a few addon's from memory i could be wrong reseller account has more freedom... could be wrong though.

Old
Forest Lover!

Quote:
safe mode = Off (cannot adjust)
memory_limit = 64M (MAXIMUM)
max_execution_time = 30 (MAXIMUM)
max_input_time = 60 (MAXIMUM)
post_max_size = 64M (MAXIMUM)
upload_max_filesize = 64M (MAXIMUM)
enable_dl = Off (cannot adjust)
they use limits so people do not over use their resources for unlimited hosting

perfomance of website will be slower during higher traffic cause of the memory limit

hostmerry.com

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
My understanding is that if your PHP program hits up against the memory limit, the program crashes. Most do a "graceful recovery" but the routine that was in process is gone.

IIRC, the default memory for PHP 5 is 128MB. Applications like vBulletin and IP.Board's newest and most secure versions require PHP 5, and expect to see 128MB.

Last time I checked, forums like phpBB3 or SMF ask for either 32 or 64MB, but that could have changed. Drupal asks for 64MB. Wordpress likes to have 64MB, but some people report memory issues installing certain plugins at that amount.

I think HG is targeting the mass market, and because of that, is fine for the majority of users. But it would probably be a bad choice for someone planning to host a vBulletin or IP.Board forum that requires the latest version of PHP 5 with 128+ of memory.

I'm running PHP with 128MB of RAM for my clients. At 64MB I was seeing some "failed to allocate memory" errors.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
You all miss the point. The point isn't what a shared hosting can or cannot do, the point is comparing what different shared hosting providers offer, in other words, finding the best bang for the bucks.

If Hostgator offers 64MB with others offering:
a) Litespeed
c) 128mb
d) Higher CPU load

then Hostgator is definitely not the best hosting for the money they ask.
Well this is why different hosting companies exists. You can compare then to as much companies as you like, some may have 256 MB limits, other 32 MB, not every single hosting is the same. The more you pay the more you get, this is usually the deal. Most unlimited hosting companies have very tight limits, this is why they are unlimited in the first place. If you need a plan that supports more memory or higher options, the market is full of this companies but dont expect to pay the same price as with HostGator, they will be more expensive.

The best bang for your money is what fits best for you. If you pay 3$ a month for a hosting plan you cannot expect to get the same resources as with another company that charges you 10$. This of course is not a comparing factor, you can get a great service in a 3$ company and a very bad service in a 10$ company.

What you need to understand is that HostGator offers unlimited plans and they target the masses, anyone who is smart enough would know "unlimited" doest exist, so they would not even purchase a plan like that, because they need to make money somehow, and they cant do it if they offer you very high memory limits, very high CPU limits, etc. Unlimited will work for allot of people but dont expect to get something you would get in a another company where you pay more.

If you go cheap, expect a cheap service. I completely understand hostgator, if they would have bigger limits people would just kill their servers. They have VPS offerings for those people so if you go with their cheap unlimited plans to expect to run anything but a very small website with low traffic. Anything more advanced with would require more server resources would be a complete money loss for them, unless they raise their prices and offer more limits, but then I guess people would not pay the plans in the first place.

Your analysis of "what different shared hosting providers offer" is flawed. Different companies have different prices, and so different limits, different server, different resources per customer, differing networks, different type of customer, different limits on how much customers they put server, different revenues, etc.

If you are comparing only unlimited plans, then HostGator is pretty good, for the price you get what you pay. And I don't think anyone could complain about it.

Im pretty amazed people hire an unlimited plan for just a few bucks a month and expect them to offer the same or better limits then more expensive hosting companies. Price is the last thing you need to look in a hosting company. And if you go with a company like HostGator expects other hundreds of even thousands of customers to be in the same server as they need to make profits and they cant do it if everyone expects to use 128 memory with their scripts.

You said we all miss the point and others offer:
a) Litespeed
c) 128mb
d) Higher CPU load

I ask you this? Do they have the same price? If so, why did you went with Hostgator then and not with the other offering?

Also, you consider this to be better offerings where I dont. I consider Apache to be better, and I consider Softalicious to be buggy and with security holes. So as you see everyone has a different sense of what they consider better or worst.

You have options in the market, if your provider cannot give you want you want or need, then raise your budget and look somewhere else.

To answer your question. I dont think your site will be slower because of this. If you script requires more then 64 m, then something is wrong, or its just not targeted for budget hosting. Allot of WordPress plugins are just absolutely terrible in the coding, and they are meant to be used in a shared hosting. If your script happens to require more then 64 M and you have this limit, it will just crash.

Someone said they use limits so people don't overuse their unlimited hosting. Well I think all shared hosting have limits, thats why they are shared, so this is not something that just HostGator does, but everyone offering shared plans has limits. Unlimited hosting may have more severe limits as fixed hosting companies with fixed space and transfer, but regardless if which company you go there is a limit. Even in a VPS or in a dedicated server there is a limit, this would be the hardware. In shared hosting as you dont own or control the hardware, you have software limits to stop you from using more then what they consider to be fair for the price you pay.