Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cloudhost that can really give 99.99% uptime

I need a host that can really guarantee 99.99% uptime or better.

I am currently with a host that previously said to me that they guarantee 100% uptime and today I just had a 1h 40m downtime. It might have been longer if I did not notify them.

I am currently looking at steadfast's cloud platform. Looks like they have a pretty solid SLA

i would suggest http://www.rackspace.com for cloud servers. But for many they have high prices
    Premium XEN VPS | Coming soon..

for reviews about rackspace.com go to webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=672711

Rackspace doesn't have SAN or any other distributed storage form, just local one. So i would look for other providers.

I don't see how anything is really cloud protected if it's a host that is running anything other than something like vmware possibly. In my experience other cloud based platforms fall short in redundancy and quick fail over disaster recovery. Try to look for a true clustering solution that will serve your needs. In the long run anything electronic is never full proof. Look at Rim they claimed it would never happen and well it happened now they lost millions of customers in the end.

You understand that a SLA guarantee doesn't actually mean you're guaranteed to get the stated uptime right?

Yes, definitely be careful with SLAs. Any host can offer a 100% uptime SLA and just credit some minuscule amount when there's downtime. This isn't really very useful. I'd concentrate on actually asking providers for their uptime history on their cloud platform.

If uptime is extremely important to you, then you may also want to contact the company to see if you can get a custom solution for your application that can get you even higher reliability than the typical cloud environment.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Lightning fast web hosting since 2005.
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage
    Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!

I've had pretty much 6 months uptime at Rackspace Cloud, and I've heard a lot of people have a lot more than that at Linode, so maybe one of these 2 providers?
    Loading Deck - Server Management & Software Consultancy
    Cloud Pilot - Server Monitoring, Backups & Migration

Quote Originally Posted by jtodd View Post
    I've had pretty much 6 months uptime at Rackspace Cloud, and I've heard a lot of people have a lot more than that at Linode, so maybe one of these 2 providers?
    Rackspace's cloud does not really have any more inherent redundancy than a typical VPS provider, the same with Linode. While that can still be reliable, it isn't exactly infrastructure that you can depend on for actually delivering 99.99% uptime, as you're reliant on a single node for your VM.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Lightning fast web hosting since 2005.
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage
    Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!

There are services that monitor cloud providers availability:
    * CloudHarmony status page
    * CloudSleuth Global Provider View - but select Availability rather than default Response Time and select longer time frame.

The first one has providers that meet your requirements, while the other claims there is no such in 30 day time frame (this is max).

Orien is right. It's not enough to have a %% uptime SLA, it also needs to define actual penalties - and even then:
    If the penalty for a SLA violation is lower than the cost for upkeep of the infrastructure needed for a >99.99% uptime, then it is (even if it makes a techie grow sick) ECONOMICAL for the provider to not keep their SLA. Especially true with monthly caps on the SLA, where you do get reimbursed for a failure, but you don't get more if there's more and more and more failures in the same period of measurement.

And of course, a "real" SLA will be noticable in the monthly bills you're paying - but you have to chose.

Personally I think it'll run cheaper to go with a very good hoster instead of shelling out money for a trustworthy SLA.

But, I've seen cases where the SLAs were good and the provider ended up paying for providing the (unstable) service
    Check out my SSD guides for Samsung, HGST (Hitachi Global Storage) and Intel!

most cheaper, most problems...remember it

also amazon had problems with cloud hosting in the past...

Quote Originally Posted by wartungsfenster View Post
    If the penalty for a SLA violation is lower than the cost for upkeep of the infrastructure needed for a >99.99% uptime, then it is (even if it makes a techie grow sick) ECONOMICAL for the provider to not keep their SLA. Especially true with monthly caps on the SLA, where you do get reimbursed for a failure, but you don't get more if there's more and more and more failures in the same period of measurement.

Personally I think it'll run cheaper to go with a very good hoster instead of shelling out money for a trustworthy SLA.
    You are correct on both points. Too bad more people don't understand that. An SLA is just a fixed method of apportioning blame.

What the OP needs is to go to multiple services in diverse data centers. It is highly unlikely that all data centers would go down at the same time. And, the benefit is exponential. For example, a site using two hosts having real life uptime of 99.9 percent would result in a theoretical site uptime of 99.99 percent.

++
    Last edited by plumsauce; 11-03-2011 at 02:25 AM.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    What the OP needs is to go to multiple services in diverse data centers. It is highly unlikely that all data centers would go down at the same time. And, the benefit is exponential. For example, a site using two hosts having real life uptime of 99.9 percent would result in a theoretical site uptime of 99.99 percent.
    If the host utilizes a very good datacenter, UPS's in the racks, and a real redundant network, failover to other hypervisor and redundant SANs, achieving 99.99% uptime should not be an issue while offered from a single location.

Of course, it does require a company with people who know what they're doing, but that goes for anything.

Ray,

You really dont want to look for a provider that can provide you with 100% uptime from a single appliance.

You want to look for an application that load balances or failsover between two (or more locations).

There are many providers out there who develop Applogic and OnApp applications that may suit your needs etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast