* Gryal pls help! - XSSERVER VPS down for over 24 hours

As the subject says, my VPS has been down for over 24 hours. Gryal if you're out there, please help me.

All my sites are down
    My VPS control panel says zero available RAM
    Accessing via SSH gives me the error: Unable to open pty: No such file or directory

Ticket is #208736

For other guys considering Xsserver, you may want to monitor this thread.

Thumbs down

Just some additional info, the node I was on was attacked by DDOS. Here's the email to me:

Hello,
    Sorry for your inconvenience, currently there is ddos attack going on the node, we are working on it to fix ASAP, we will update you once the node is up. We are tying our best to fix ASAP.

I think they've arrested the DDOS attacks, but myself and I believe many others' VPS are still down after more than 24 hours.

This is getting real bad...

UPDATE

Apparently my VPS was corrupted due to the DDoS attacks, and it is too bad I do not have a backup. So basically all my sites were destroyed.

This shouldn't have happened if Xsserver had sufficient security measures/policies in the first place.

Right now I am restoring my sites from a very old backup; basically I will start from scratch.

BUT STILL -- the xsserver support won't help me get this backup up! It's been 3 days now and I've lost lots of revenues.

I would appreciate any help out there.

It should not have corrupted anything beyond at least partial recovery, they should have been able to create a tar ball of your vps so you could mount/browse the data with your reinstalled server.

The all you would have needed to have done was restore from your old backup to get the structure in place then overwrite the files with the newer ones from the tarball.

I have never seen a ddos (And sadly there have been plenty it can happen to any host) take down a node much less corrupt an individual VPS beyond recovery.

If you have already reinstalled the OS it is too late for them to do that now.

I know you have no backups and many people will point a finger at you for that but either way a little bit of thought could have saved you allot of time and trouble.

If it was the host that reinstalled your OS then I suspect there is more to this than you are being told and the DDOS was simply a cover but it is always nice to get both sides input so I will reserve judgement for now.
    -> INCEPTION HOSTING LIMITED Since 2010!
    -> I am most active on the lowendspirit hosting forum Come join us!
    -> PHOENIX USA & THE NETHERLANDS & UK EU

Thanks for the advice backtogeek. Until now my VPS is still down. They posted this on their site announcement, can you validate if this indeed takes a long time to resolve?

"Currently the vps hosted on DENODE is down due to fsck going on the main host node, We currently do not have any ETA it might take upto 24-72 hrs or less to rebuild the filesystem, once fsck is completed vps will be back online. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused due to this downtime."

Appreciate any thoughts.

If it is a DDOS, Providers should have solutions set In place to nullroute a specific IP when traffic load gets Insanely high.

I for one have a similar solution like I stated, I'm sure many other providers do aswell though.
    AboveClouds - UK Based Company
    Self Managed Scalable, On-demand Cloud Hosting with a personal touch ❤

Xsserver has now restored my backup and I'm working to update my sites now. I sorta like them again, cause they allowed me some freebies. Thanks Gryal/Xsserver folks.

Now off to work work work... gotta make sure my backups are done regularly now.

I am using one of their VPS server to host a Pretty May Skype Call Center software install, when I started the service the VPS shut down on its own twice in 24 hours, I had to get them to boot it back up. But recently all has been good, and the voice quality when speaking to clients has been satisfactory.

I've never heard of a DDOS causing VM corruption. That story sounds fishy.

Down again. No response from their support