hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Facebook Is Building Shadow Profiles of Non-Users

Forum Jump

Facebook Is Building Shadow Profiles of Non-Users

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 01:42 AM
An Awesome Dude

Thumbs down

Quote:
“As noted previously, Max Schrems of Europe Versus Facebook has filed numerous complaints about Facebook’s data collection practices. One complaint that has failed to draw much scrutiny regards Facebook’s creation of *Shadow Profiles. ‘This is done by different functions that encourage users to hand personal data of other users and non-users to Facebook… (e.g. synchronizing mobile phones, importing personal data from e-mail providers, importing personal information from instant messaging services, sending invitations to friends or saving search queries when users search for other people on facebook.com). This means that even if you don’t use it, you may already have a profile on Facebook.’”

http://www.prisonplanet.com/facebook...non-users.html
THIS SCUM SITE HAS TO BE SHUT DOWN!!!!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2011, 01:55 AM
Web Hosting Master

Hi,

If this is true, then it is a serious issue.
I havent come across any such thing personally as of now.

Webuzo - Softaculous for the Cloud i.e. Softaculous Standalone

Old 10-21-2011, 02:03 AM
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
THIS SCUM SITE HAS TO BE SHUT DOWN!!!!

I do know what 'Max Schrems' means, but it's not how it's made out.
Unless you or someone creates an account, you don't have one.

Facebook DOES give users the option to invite friends and imports names and email addresses from Mail & IM accounts, but without the user submitting an invite, facebook doesn't send any emails to those imported contacts.

Facebook has changed the world, and not in a bad way...
They have good policy, and their adverts are well placed and matched well to a target audience.

In my opinion, before anyone criticizes facebook, they should try building and running something even 50% as successful as facebook, which has gone well beyond being a household name.

Last edited by iPing; 10-21-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2011, 02:24 AM
Web Hosting Master

When a new user joins, the default privacy settings are very public.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:50 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellind2 View Post
When a new user joins, the default privacy settings are very public.
So change them.

Concerned about security? Secure, Control & Monitor Access to Your Logins

Old 10-21-2011, 05:11 AM
******* Unleaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPing View Post
In my opinion, before anyone criticizes facebook, they should try building and running something even 50% as successful as facebook, which has gone well beyond being a household name.
You don't have to be a serial killer to dislike murder. Nor do you have to be a stalker to value privacy.

Initiating an account is not material.

If users A,B,C and D search for, synchronise mobiles for, and whatever for, name Z. Then facebook knows that A,B,C,D know Z and that Z likely has commonalities with A,B,C and D.

And Facebook, et al have *not* made the world a better place. Instead they have boosted the tendency towards a hive mentality. All that watching of others is a huge waste of time. Especially when it is done on an employer's dime.

uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Old 10-21-2011, 05:59 AM
Actively learning French

I must agree with the OP because being the owner of a bb and iphone, the settings before were so sneaky I did not pick up on it until a college informed me about it. They imported my ENTRIE phone contact list in the matter of seconds without I knowing about it. I followed my college's advice and logged into facebook and followed his navigation to where it was stored. There were over 400 of my contacts on a facebook address book I never knew about. They took names and numbers blatantly and stored them in a private address book for their use. BUT, I must say that, that sort of thing is expected in this day and age especially since I learnt years ago that any picture you upload to facebook, never really gets deleted. lol. It belongs to facebook. That's why I dont consciously upload anything to that again.

Now the most scary part of all of this is, If they can take that information and store it under your profile in an address book you have to jump through a lot of loops for, just imagine the sort of information they already have without you know

Website Maintenance: HERE Twitter: @hostultimo FB: fb.com/hostultimo

Old 10-21-2011, 06:14 AM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPing View Post
I do know what 'Max Schrems' means, but it's not how it's made out.
Unless you or someone creates an account, you don't have one.

Facebook DOES give users the option to invite friends and imports names and email addresses from Mail & IM accounts, but without the user submitting an invite, facebook doesn't send any emails to those imported contacts.

Facebook has changed the world, and not in a bad way...
They have good policy, and their adverts are well placed and matched well to a target audience.

I could not have said it better myself!