Thread: mastercard :(

I hate mastercard...

I signed up with ***** and now they won't let me do a chargeback to them

***** never responds to my email so I cannot cancel my account, therefore, I keep getting charged the fee every month and I'm not even using it..

any advice?

Hmmm...I got an e-mail from Erin, *****'s COO, in response to a message I posted on another discussion board. They seem to have misplaced their priorities...

Anyway, have you tried other ways of contacting them, like phone or online support chat? They also have a cancellation form at http://www.*****.com/?zone=account/cancel_account

yes

yes I have tried that and they won't let me talk to anyone that can give me a refund...

and I was a reseller and the 800 # they gave me to phone if I had problems is always down!..

and I need some money back before I just delete the account as they have been charging me when I already told them that I wanted it deleted.

Just have your bank refund you the money. The reason is product or service was not delivered as promised.
    Top Hat Domains
    Internet Services for Less. Period.
    Peoria, Arizona
    http://www.tophatdomains.com

problem

that is the problem... they won't refund me my money from the bank. my father phoned and told them that it was not delivered as promised and they said they cannot do anyhting about it only charge me for stealing his credit card

can you please explain exactly what I have to do pleasE?

Something is not right. They should at the very least investigate the charge. Have your fater dispute the charge. Your previous host has to come up with evidence that you actually charged the item, and they have to prove they delivered it.
    Top Hat Domains
    Internet Services for Less. Period.
    Peoria, Arizona
    http://www.tophatdomains.com

that is what was done

that is what my father did...

he disputed the charge and then they said all cannot do anything about it... he would have to contact the company. (*****)

I took a look at their site, and followed to their TOS - To cancel your account, go to http://cancel.*****.com

This seems to be the only way to cancel your account there.

Was this a credit card charge? Or a debit card charge?

If it's a credit card then it seems to me the CC company must follow through on your complaint. Not receiving services paid for is IMO (not a lawyer, not a legal opinion) grounds for denying a charge (i.e. a chargeback). You should send the CC company a concise written letter (snail mail) and send it certified with return receipt. Tell them what happened (don't be technical!) and that you didn't get the service you paid for and are declining the charge. Just calling won't preserve your rights to dispute the charge.

If it was a debit card however, currently U.S. banking law isn't the same as CC protection laws. That may change but it's largely up to the bank to decide if they want to give you back the money. The banks see debit cards like checks - if you send a check to a company, they take the money but don't deliver, you wouldn't expect the bank to give you back the amount of the check.

[Edited by Jaiem on 03-28-2001 at 12:26 PM]
    Ocean View Host - http://www.OceanViewHost.com
    Affordable web hosting and E-commerce solutions for any size business.

If it is a credit card and not a debit card, here is what is going on. You are calling customer no service at the credit card company and they are saying no. Understand that saying no to customers is their job. They are required to chant "no...no....no" 50 times before their shift just to warm up. If they keep telling you no and you do nothing else but call, you are dead in the water. They are taking the chance that you will never read the fine print on the back of the credit card statement. Read it. To dispute a charge you have to put it in writing within 90 days of the date that the charge first appeared on your statement. On the back of your credit card statement there should be instructions on where to send the dispute letter. If not, don't call them and say "Refund this charge?" Call them and say "I have a charge on my card where the company did not deliver the goods, Please tell me the address and procedure to put my dispute in writing." See, if you never put it in writing and the 90 days expire they win, because they don't have to investigate it and possibly eat the loss. Not all credit card companies are bad (and by the way, your problem is not with mastercard but with the issuing bank), I have several that if I call and want to dispute a charge, they just send me a form. I tried to buy a digital camera from an online retailer last year, and they did not deliver. Got my money back via a chargeback. Good luck, and be persistent with the credit card issuer.

Now, if this is a debit card, cancel the account accounding to *****s terms and cut you losses. The money that has already been charged is gone. Never use a debit card for purchases where you do not know when or if you will recieve the merchandise. You have no protection as a consumer.
    Marty Hoskins
    http://tlcwe.com

thanks

thanks for the help guys... it is a credit card so I will see if the statement has a address on it

Your father needs to report the card as lost (in the parking lot or whatever). This will force a number change. It does not matter if you quickly cancel the accout or not. ***** has a habit of continued charging whether the account is active or not.

I went through the process to cancel. I received their notice that the account was cancelled and this was well in advance of the next billing cycle. After that they made in excess of 10 failed attempts to charge my card. They even kept increasing the amount. My friend went through the same thing so I had a hint and reported my card lost ahead of time. This effectively blocked the charges. I first called the card company and tried to set up a block just in case this happened. They wouldn't do that. It was the their (the customer service person's) suggestion that I report the card lost.

Gary

Also, if you are a minor (although there is nothing to indicate that) the situations between your father and the charge company and ***** can be greatly affected. In that case he probably needs to talk to a lawyer.
    Gary

Who to contact...

Go here http://www.creditfederal.com to get a list of who to contact, federal and otherwise, about your credit card probs.

Toni

I have said this before quite some time ago..... Cancel your credit card....... That is about the only think you can do right now.