hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Running a Web Hosting Business : Be cautious with web3k.ru

Forum Jump

Be cautious with web3k.ru

Reply Post New Thread In Running a Web Hosting Business Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2001, 05:36 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Be cautious with web3k.ru

Hi fellow web hosts, if someone want to order a package of yours with the domain web3k.ru or the email pulaev@yahoo.com it may (more like it is) be a fraud. This "Gregor Pulaev" ordered my enterprise plan 3 TIMES annually with a different name/credit card (must be stolen) and the transaction was, of course, declined the 3 times. That's a sum of $719.85! The trace of his IP show he comes from Russia, but he ordred with a name in North Carolina and Montana. He have to be the owner of the domain because the DNS was changed to mine. So, be cautious with this person.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2001, 11:31 PM

It may not or may not be him. Its not that hard to hack an email account or a web interface. Especially with the passwords people use these days.

Old 05-16-2001, 01:12 PM

In my experience, I have not had a legitimate sale from any .ru customer to date. To my knowledge, Russia has a bad problem with internet fraud.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2001, 01:59 PM
Web Hosting Master

we always

We always triple check with followup emails, request for copys of a drivers licence's etc if the order meets one of these criteria:

1. Comes from a country outside US

2. Someone orders a expensive plan theyve never contacted a sales person about.

3. The credit card information does not match the customers information.

4. The email address is that of a free public email service.

If it meets one of these criteria, your best bet is to followup with a email/or phone call if in US (even better), and getting some more info, and if it still seems fishy even in the slightest bit, make them fax in 2 forms of ID.

Weve used this procedure for 7 years and have never had one fraudulant customer, weve caught prob. over 100 people before they became customers.

Old 05-16-2001, 07:01 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

You're right Charles, i should have done it, in my case it meets the 4 criterias. Oh well, i gotta know next time i have an order like this

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Enterprises Seek Multi-Cloud Approach to IT, Cloud Competition Remains Fierce: Report Web Hosting News 2014-04-04 18:26:43
Study: Companies Using Cloud as a Competitive Advantage Report Nearly Double the Revenue Growth of Peers Web Hosting News 2013-10-24 15:01:49
Signifyd Launches to Protect Ecommerce Merchants from Fraud Web Hosting News 2013-10-16 16:37:48
Security Providers See Increase in Memorial Day Spam Emails Web Hosting News 2013-05-28 10:27:46
451 Research Publishes Report on Energy Efficiency Within Data Centers Web Hosting News 2012-10-17 15:53:09