View Poll Results: Who wants the old WHT layout back?

Voters
203. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want the old one back

83 40.89%
  • I want to keep the new one

63 31.03%
  • I want to be able to choose between old/new

57 28.08%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast
    This should bring back the old one for you if you choose:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/?styleid=3
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/?styleid=2 brings back the new one

Originally posted by WebDev
    This should bring back the old one for you if you choose:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/?styleid=3
    Thanks!

Will it be possible to select this as the default for us in our profiles any time soon?

It would be great to keep the old one as an option (I switched right back ). Problem is the advertising I guess
    Providing YOUR Internet Action!

www.addaction.net

Not sure on that, wont be up to me.

Time to kill off IE/Phoenix and go back to lynx

Wow.. this will take some getting use to.......
    Luke
    oh yeah...

Hello,

It has become beautiful but this has been the last important thing for me.

Pages use a lot of graphics so they take more time to load. Also they may put higher loads on server and make it more slowly. Actually it has become very slow (takes two times in comparison to the old one to load on my computer). Also I know most of people use DSL lines today but not me. I yet use 56K dial up lines in my home ( and sometimes in the office).

Anyway as I am a relatively old user I had got used to the old theme and now It seems to me that I have entered a new forum and it will take sometime for me to become comfortable again.

Regards,
    Mac

Agree.

It has always been easier for me to read normal text on a page with less graphics

May be I become old in early 30s. This is the result of working 18 hours/day for the last 10 years.

Mac

Personally I love the new theme, but let's make the old an option you can set in the user control panel for those who prefer it.

Originally posted by Acronym BOY
    Time to kill off IE/Phoenix and go back to lynx
    Most browsers that support images let you turn them off

Originally posted by wmac
    Pages use a lot of graphics so they take more time to load. Also they may put higher loads on server and make it more slowly. Actually it has become very slow (takes two times in comparison to the old one to load on my computer). Also I know most of people use DSL lines today but not me. I yet use 56K dial up lines in my home ( and sometimes in the office).
    Just configure your browser to not reload images cached images. I wouldn't be able to stand browsing any forums on dialup if I had to reload each image every time I viewed it!

Edit: I just went back to the homepage and saw the new animated new posts image That really needs to go! Just make it the frame where the cresent is white. Other than that I still love the new theme though.
    Last edited by no1v2; 02-01-2003 at 05:47 AM.

I love the new one.

--

Edit: It does take 6 seconds sometimes to load pages. I hope this is a site problem and not the new load time for the new look, otherwise, me and my dialup will have to stop coming ... I certianly want to keep this look (not the old one) but there's got to be some way to make it as quick as the old one.
    What does one host say to the other? "(HostA) Want to go see a movie?" "(HostB) Sure, can your parents drive?"

I'm premium, and no, I did not have to pay $6 a month to figure that out.

You can read the text on the old theme.
    Luke
    oh yeah...

Nah, the bold thread titles look good

Thanks! Switchiung back now. Still wish it could be an option
    Don't look for a way out.

I've got to say, I liked the old one better too. The font is killing my eyes. It's hard to read and it clashes with everything else.
    TradeViceroy

It is much better, but in my opinion the members online list was more accessible before.

I like the new design a lot... but it takes longer to load compared to the old one. After opening a thread in a new IE window, the pge says it's loading, but once loaded it doesn't actually show until 20-30 seconds later, whereas with the old design it loaded it all straight away since it was mostly HTML.

So yeah, it's going to need getting used to.

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

WHT Server Status

A problem with the SQL back end of the system surfaced about the same time we were doing the upgrade to the latest VB version and adding the new design.

Webdev worked throughout the evening and most of the night with Jelsoft tweaking the system.

At this point, we are limping along and are working to bring it back to 100%.

There will likely be a few more bumps during the weekend and we hope to have it all worked out and smooth before Monday.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Due to the size of the data base and the high use, WHT is more likely to identify problems that don;t affect lesser utilized or smaller forums.

Robert
    Robert Marsh
    Head Surfer

i love the way the new one looks , but i like the way the old one worked . WHT seems sluggish with the new design .

I think new one is much better, but since many users want old one back i suggest to make it switchable so everyone would be happy (with new one as default).
    AlienDude.

well let's just hope the load time picks up too.
    at the moment it's damn slow

I'd have to aggree with everyone else - the font is hard to read.

On the new theme, it takes me almots a full minute to load a one post thread, but on the old theme it takes about 15 seconds.. Still slow, which I'm sure is the partly to blame because of the upgrade and bugs still being worked out, but there shouldn't be that much differnce in between the two styles...

Re: WHT Server Status

Originally posted by headsurfer
    Webdev worked throughout the evening and most of the night with Jelsoft tweaking the system.

Thats rather interesting... For anyone else, they wouldn't support vBulletin becuase you had hacks installed

But send my thanks to Webdev..

Originally posted by ho247
    I like the new design a lot... but it takes longer to load compared to the old one. After opening a thread in a new IE window, the pge says it's loading, but once loaded it doesn't actually show until 20-30 seconds later, whereas with the old design it loaded it all straight away since it was mostly HTML.
    I'm finding the same - whereas the old design would be fairly quick loading a page, this one is taking 30+secs/page.

> On the new theme, it takes me almots a full minute to load a one
    > post thread, but on the old theme it takes about 15 seconds..

maybe.... i didn't notice that because have fast cable connection.

that can be solved by optimizing gif images. buttons are right now 128 or 64 colors, but buttons have only few colors so can be scaled down to 32 color gifs and that should increase performance a lot.

reply.gif, newthread.gif - can definitely be scaled down to 32 colors from 128 without change of quality.
    edit.gif, quote.gif - can be scaled down to 8 colors from 32 wihtout change in quality.
    ..same with other buttons.

edit: after looking more closely at buttons - all buttons are not optimized at all. all buttons can be 2-3 times smaller without loss of quality.
    AlienDude.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast