Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Someone is using my name, address, phone as contact info on their domain on Whois

Someone in china and/or russia is using my full name, my mailing address and my old but invalid phone number as contact info on their multiple domains registrations on Whois.

Email address that is posted on Whois is someone elses, not mine. IP is in russia, registrar is BIZCN(dotcom), Inc. which is in china.

Some of those hosting servers are some kind of public servers.
    Host for that domain is FREEDNS.WS registered at whois.publicdomainregistry.com

To make matters annoying as the least I just received a letter from a U.S. attorney asking me to stop using domain of their client, which is very similar to a known company name.

Since this is a first time I discovered that someone (under russian, European and other worlwide IP servers!) has registered a big number of domains and are all listing them under my name, but since I never registered those domains nor paid for them nor I have access to their management I feel helpless to help this UNPROFESSIONAL lawyer in Manhattan, who did not make any research who the real owner is or could be and already threatens me with huge fines and only gave me 7 days to respond, that is including arrival time of his letter and for my letter to reach him! The attorney mails his letter to me on Oct. 10 which goes to another distant state in the deep countryside and expects to receive a reply by Oct. 17 !? It sounds like a frivolous and or propped up accusations, non-meritorious claim or some kind of a new scam.

First of all what is to be gained by using someone else's name on their domain registrations?

Second what do you think of all this?

I'm not asking for legal advice, but since my income is very small (wrong guy to cash out with) I will appreciate any legal advice as well if any lawyers here.

Thank you in advance for your opinion, advise and help.

So sorry to hear about the incident. I agree to BoxIntense that fail your report to ICANN. Then, mask your domain name(s) (if any) with private info to prevent your information being stolen again.
    ******** Network - The Hosting Provider since 2001
    Business Hosting Plan for the SOHO, Personal Blog, and any moderate traffic site
    Dedicated Server to host your huge traffic site, HDD redundant, R1Soft daily Backup

Private registration is expensive. Displaying your contact data on WHOIS correctly lets your customers and others respect and trust you more. Unfortunately, and it's a shame, ICANN and their approved Registrars that register domain names do not seem to VERIFY contact data for registrants and that is a very bad neglect, which demonstrates their complete unprofessionalism, nihilism, disrespect and lack of dignity. All domain contact data should be verified at all times; same as bank account or other financial data.

I used to report fake whois, but it appeared that neither registrars nor ICANN did nothing about it, and those fake whois remain until this day, fake.

Trying to hide one's name and address on Whois is similar to ostrich placing his head in the sand. Instead, we should legally force ICANN verify all domain registrant data, and do that seriously!

Since internet rules our lives today, I consider the world a lawless society today. I will be taking legal action against ICANN soon (since I can not reach the shady BIZCN Inc. in China nor some shady host in Russia) and welcome to join me in the class action lawsuit.

Lawyers who read this are welcome to help this case.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxIntense View Post
    Thank you for the link. Yes I did, in the past, but on other domains, which had fake Whois data, but were not in my name. Such as trying to nail spammers who would register domains with fake Whois and ICANN would just clap their hands from joy...

P.S. This report link is very benign and useless and is very user-unfriendly. It does not allow to report outright identity theft. If anyone thinks otherwise, please let me know where I am wrong.

It does NOT make any sense, take a look:

Domain Name

* Name (of who? the owner of the domain, who in my case is unknown; or me? and I am not the owner!)

* Email (of who? mine? ok, but look below)

I do not want my e-mail address disclosed to the registrar who the domain name is registered with.

If checked, please give reason below.

The above statement of email non-disclosure does not make any sense or does not match my case.
    Last edited by NeonRider; 10-18-2011 at 01:07 AM.

And what would ICANN do since the BIZCN registrar is in China?

ICANN (I CAN'T) can't even spell:

Whois Data Problem Reporting System - Single Submission Request

General Information Red Arrow Complaint Details Red Arrow Verify Compliant

Quote Originally Posted by NeonRider View Post
    Instead, we should legally force ICANN verify all domain registrant data, and do that seriously!
    This approach will be even more expensive, let's say that ICANN should manually, recursively and continuously verify billions of domain that is registered until today, I can only assume that domain names will not cost 10 bucks anymore, probably 1 grand/year/domain.

Anyway, alternative to ICANN form you can try contacting the administrative contact for .ws registrar:

http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/ws.html
    -

Thank you, I will; and now imagine I will have to do this for hundreds of domains? And they will probably register new ones as soon as the old ones are shut down or are "corrected" with a "real" name of the criminal (yeah right).... and so on and on without end?

If domains will cost $100 or $1000 per year that would make domain owners more responsible and the scum would be eliminated. And there would not need to be so many 2nd level tlds, such as .name and .mommy and .daddy and .mysisterbrokehertooth, etc.

Neonrider,

You should file those WHOIS complaints and notify the current Registrar with the steps you are taking.

http://wdprs.internic.net/

ICANN also requires the current Registrar to verify the WHOIS data by sending WDRP emails to the registrant.

Document everything. This will not go away fast but if the current registrar keeps violating ICANN regulations the contract will be terminated. I can't imagine that the current registrar wants to throw away alot of cash not to mention the time investement.

This website will give you more insight on how ICANN works in relation to their registrars.
    http://www.icann.org/en/compliance/
    RealtimeRegister.com - Worldwide domain management. API (epp) + Resellers prices

Quote Originally Posted by realtimeregister View Post
    Neonrider,

You should file those WHOIS complaints and notify the current Registrar with the steps you are taking.

ICANN also requires the current Registrar to verify the WHOIS data by sending WDRP emails to the registrant.

Document everything. This will not go away fast but if the current registrar keeps violating ICANN regulations the contract will be terminated. I can't imagine that the current registrar wants to throw away alot of cash not to mention the time investement.

This website will give you more insight on how ICANN works in relation to their registrars.
    ok, one more ponint i want to say just contact ICANN to let them verify the registar's phone number.is would be helpful to verify whether it is the real people who do the register and any more,ICANN should check the the registar's valid documents if this is a reported domain with complain.Thus, it will be easier to get this problem resolved.

ICANN could at least verify registrant's photo id, for example:

1. Domain xxx.com is registered via Godaddy and registrant immediately owns the domain, but they have say 7 days (more or less) to mail or fax their photo id or another document which would show their address that shows up on WHOIS.

2. Godaddy (or another registrar) also would call the phone number on record just like Craigslist does. Email address would be verified as well.

3. If some data is incorrect, it must be corrected within certain period of time. If it is done on purpose, the registrant loses ownership to the domain name or must pay a big fine to get it back.

Anonymous registrants or c/o should not be allowed to register domains.

Sending a letter to my address (that never happened) costs only a stamp, say $0.50 to $1. In such case i would respond by email, mail or fax that my address is being used improperly.

Quote Originally Posted by realtimeregister View Post
    Neonrider,

Over a month ago I submitted to ICANN "wrong address/name" report on a couple domains. Today, the domain still bears my name and address. Nothing has been done.

Please take note: Registrar BIZCN(dotcom), Inc. is FRAUD. Which makes ICANN reputation questionable.

Um I'm sure the mailing/phone cost isn't biggest the problem here (VoIP and e-fax are everywhere, and they are almost as cheap as free!). The cost is more at human resources they need to spend.
    -

The easiest way will be to contact *domain registrar* and explain them the issue. Most probably they will ask you about some documents proving that you are the one listed as Domain registrant.

Dealing with ICANN is time-consuming.
    less is more

Quote Originally Posted by NotanAngel View Post
    The easiest way will be to contact *domain registrar* and explain them the issue. Most probably they will ask you about some documents proving that you are the one listed as Domain registrant.

Dealing with ICANN is time-consuming.
    As I already mentioned I contacted registrar, but there was no response, no action. Even the "registrar's" email address is weird:

feedback@longtoponline.com
    hpyi@longtoponline.com
    (and not xxx@bizcn . com)

I also suspect they do not understand any English.

By the way, the email address listed for that domain on WHOIS returns "does not exist". So much about ICANN'T verification of email addresses!

As I already mentioned I contacted registrar, but there was no response, no action. Even the "registrar's" email address is weird:

feedback@longtoponline.com
    hpyi@longtoponline.com
    (and not xxx@bizcn . com)

I also suspect they do not understand any English.
    ouch...
    this registrar looks very shady.they are listed as registrar for many scam domains, just read http://www.bobbear.co.uk/criscom-group-inc.html or http://www.bobbear.co.uk/success-payment.html.

However I found a few more contacts, maybe you can try those?

(please remove spaces in 'bizcn . com')

registrar bizcn . com
    Registrar Name: bizcn . com, INC.
    Address: NO.61 WANGHAI ROAD, Longtop Group Building SOFTWARE PARK, Xiamen, Fujian Province 361008, CN
    Phone Number: +86.5922577888-2801
    Email: cno@bizcn . com
    Whois Server: whois.bizcn . com
    Referral URL: bizcn . com
    Admin Contact: Ming-Xuan . Yang
    Phone Number: 86-592-2577888-7777
    Email: yangmx@bizcn . com
    Admin Contact: Jimmy . Zhuang
    Phone Number: 86-592-2577888 ext 8000
    Email: Jimmy@bizcn . com
    Billing Contact: Angela . Huang
    Phone Number: 86-592-2577888-2804
    Email: huangyl@bizcn . com
    Billing Contact: Jessie . Weng
    Phone Number: +86.5922577888
    Email: wengyan@bizcn . com
    Technical Contact: Ming-Xuan . Yang
    Phone Number: 86-592-2577888-7777
    Email: yangmx@bizcn . com
    Technical Contact: Angela . Huang
    Phone Number: 86-592-2577888-2804
    Email:huangyl@bizcn . com
    Last edited by NotanAngel; 10-18-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: emails didn't display properly
    less is more

You could always use Google Translate to translate your message into Chinese.
    Signature Under Construction.

By the way, the email address listed for that domain on WHOIS returns "does not exist". So much about ICANN'T verification of email addresses!
    If the domain portion of the registrant's email addy doesn't exist then you can register that domain and get the emails.

This approach will be even more expensive, let's say that ICANN should manually, recursively and continuously verify billions of domain that is registered until today, I can only assume that domain names will not cost 10 bucks anymore, probably 1 grand/year/domain.

Anyway, alternative to ICANN form you can try contacting the administrative contact for .ws registrar:

http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/ws.html
    $1,000 a year? Well, first off, ICANN just controls domain names and is not responsible for distributing them, iIrc, VeriSign is responsible for .com and .net domains. It would really only cost maybe a dollar or two (even that is pushing it) per a domain to verify them.
    SiFuQi.net - Affordable Dedicated Servers in Los Angeles, California
    24x7 Support • Enterprise Grade Hardware • Automated OS Reinstalls
    Check out our reseller program, with a unique two-tiered discount.

I noticed .ws was mentioned in several posts.

Are some of these domains .ws ones?

If so... I should mention that ICANN rules (about Whois etc) only apply to GTLD domains but not to ccTLD ones. Country code registries operate under national law (Western Samoa law in this case). ICANN gets a say in who runs country code registries, but not in how they are run. And you can't file a Whois data inaccuracy report for ccTLD domains.

You're not the registrant of the domain, so it's a matter of a wrongly addressed letter. You can simply return or discard it.

Besides, the attorney obviously didn't spend much thought or time on the issue - why would you?

Quote Originally Posted by xnpu View Post
    You're not the registrant of the domain, so it's a matter of a wrongly addressed letter. You can simply return or discard it.

Besides, the attorney obviously didn't spend much thought or time on the issue - why would you?
    The attorney went by what is in the Whois. What else should he have done?

And no, unfortunately the OP can't simply ignore the letter (that's really bad advice you've given there!). The OP is the victim of identity theft. This is a criminal matter, which needs to be reported to the Police. And the OP needs to write back to the attorney with a copy of a document from the Police confirming that he has reported the identity theft.

Under no circumstances should the OP ignore the letter, or return it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast