Thumbs down Virpus - Absolutely horrible, stay away!

I've been with Virpus for quite a while now. Previously, I only used Virpus when I needed a throwaway VPS at an extremely cheap price just to test something out, or store a backup for a short while. $4/month for a basic VPS was great; in fact, it still is great if you need it.

But, never host anything mission critical or production based. Their VPSs are horribly slow; oversold nodes, so to say. But that is not even the point of this issue.

The worst part of this 'company' is their non-existent support. Either they're swamped with support they cannot handle, or they just don't give a crap about their customers.

I recently bought a VPS with them to host a test project. I happened to notice that they had a VPS reseller going on, so I took a look. It seemed pretty interesting, and the criteria was quite straight forward; you had to buy 6 VPSs from them within a period of 45 days to qualify as a reseller. I put up a sales query (clarifying a couple issues) prior to buying out the 6 VPSs to qualify for the reseller.

On 9th October I opened a ticket with their sales informing them I had bought 6 VPS from them to qualify for reseller access. About 22 hours later, I was asked to provide an email and a name so I could be given access to the reseller panel. I responded promptly, and 5 hours later I was given access to a reseller panel that I could do nothing with (zero resources, no way to buy/add resource allowance/allocation to it), a 10% discount code that only applied to the budget vps range (even though their reseller page mentions nothing about this, nor did they outline it in my pre-sales query - and the discount code should have been 15% as mentioned in their reseller page), and a link to a promo VPS which I suppose was for resellers to use.

Since I was a little confused at that point, I replied to the ticket asking them to clarify a few doubts and questions I had. I also asked them for more information on the free control panels they mentioned about in their reseller page. This was on 11th October, at 03:15 (not sure what timezone that is). Since then, I have not had any response to my ticket with any further information. I updated my ticket twice the same day, once more the next day. I also sent an email to their General department to get my ticket escalated (they outline the escalation procedure in every ticket reply). And guess what? Yep, no one from 'escalations' is actually bothered.

All in all, this wasn't even a support query; I'm glad it wasn't. I would have been super pissed if this is how support issues were handled (probably are handled). However, thanks to their sheer incompetence and 'not giving a crap' they've lost a customer who was willing to resell their services. More revenue for them, but clearly they cannot be bothered.

My point is, that if you're looking for a VPS to just throwaway, by all means host with them. They've got cheap pricing, and if crappy hardware doesn't bother you, it's good. If you're looking for real hosting, one that you can actually depend on, then absolutely stay away from Virpus. Their escalation policy/procedures, etc etc is plain ********. No one there gives a crap about you, regardless of how many levels or times you escalate your ticket.

I would say I'm at fault for not having researched enough before jumping in on the reseller offer. I did a search for Virpus yesterday and the majority of reviews I find about them are negative; particularly their support. So this review doesn't really come as a surprise.

This company is real rubbish without any responsibility to their customer.
    Their support team are all casual laborers.
    Their idiomatic intrigue of the support team is kicking you here and there but didn't give any useful replies at all.

I have a very bad experience with them. At last,when I was very angry with their support team, They delete my VPS and all my data and all my account.
    So at last I lost my data and my money.

I think this company is a trick company.
    So be care about your life and stay away from Virpus - a trick company!
    Last edited by yaren; 10-13-2011 at 04:46 AM.

or they just don't give a crap about their customers.
    this. exactly my thoughts. now wait for Ken to come and start mumbling it is and always was YOUR fault, no matter what's the case. he's one arrogant person

That won't be a problem. I have screenshots of both, the ticket that is still open with no response; and the email (along with timestamp) that was sent to the escalations department.

Besides, if Ken comes in here to debate and/or protect his reputation, it will only serve as a negative for him; if he can come in here to debate, he can reply to my escalation request which should be priority in comparison to idling on WHT.

lifetalk,

Can you provide me a ticket ID? In the meantime, I will address a few of your complaints directly.

On 9th October I opened a ticket with their sales informing them I had bought 6 VPS from them to qualify for reseller access. About 22 hours later, I was asked to provide an email and a name so I could be given access to the reseller panel. I responded promptly, and 5 hours later I was given access to a reseller panel that I could do nothing with (zero resources, no way to buy/add resource allowance/allocation to it), a 10% discount code that only applied to the budget vps range (even though their reseller page mentions nothing about this, nor did they outline it in my pre-sales query - and the discount code should have been 15% as mentioned in their reseller page), and a link to a promo VPS which I suppose was for resellers to use.
    The reseller panel is not supposed to have any resources. The idea of providing the panel in the first place is simply to allow you to manage your VM's on one panel, not create new VMs.

We provided you a coupon code to be applied to our existing budget plans. If you thought otherwise, then I would hope you would have asked us first before assuming and jumping on WHT.

Further, you implied that you sent an e-mail to our escalations e-mail. Not sure if it just didn't make it threw or what, but we only had 3 escalation e-mails since the 9th (the date you claimed you opened your ticket), and all were attended to. Would also be interested to know your e-mail address in case it went through to some spam box so that we can ensure it doesn't happen to anyone else should this have been the case.

In any case, I hardly see your complaints as justification to say we do not care about our customers. If we didn't care about our customers, we wouldn't be serving the thousands we have now. Further we state that you should allow up to 24 hours for any non-support ticket, which as you've said, it wasn't support, but sales. Sales maintains a M-F schedule with limited business hours. This is also explained on our website and your ticket confirmation letter.

Looking forward to getting that ticket ID.
    Last edited by VN-Ken; 10-13-2011 at 11:31 AM.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

Quote Originally Posted by SirMarcel View Post
    this. exactly my thoughts. now wait for Ken to come and start mumbling it is and always was YOUR fault, no matter what's the case. he's one arrogant person
    I don't think you've been paying any attention to the threads that come up about us. If it was indeed our fault, I have absolutely NO problems admitting our fault, so I don't know how you can come off as saying I'm arrogant and that I will blame any issue on the customer. That's just stupid to do, especially if it oh so clear that we messed up.

At any rate - to each their own

As a third party, I'm curious to know, what's the point of a Reseller Control Panel if it has no resources. Isn't the point of a "Control" Panel Control?

Quote Originally Posted by TBradley View Post
    As a third party, I'm curious to know, what's the point of a Reseller Control Panel if it has no resources. Isn't the point of a "Control" Panel Control?
    As said above, to manage all VM's under one control panel, if the VPS's are being resold. This would allow the reseller to suspend, stop, start etc. any VPS's under the account.

Quote Originally Posted by VN-Ken View Post
    As said above, to manage all VM's under one control panel, if the VPS's are being resold. This would allow the reseller to suspend, stop, start etc. any VPS's under the account.
    I guess that's justification, although it would be nice if the Reseller was able to have some control over resources.

Very true, however right now, its set to resell our existing plans. We will have expanded options for it in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by VN-Ken View Post
    Very true, however right now, its set to resell our existing plans. We will have expanded options for it in the near future.
    Thanks for clarifying!

For the sake of transparency, and to prove that I was handled in an extremely unprofessional manner (and downright ignored) here's the screenshots I spoke of. They pretty much speak for themselves.

Let's see, this was my pre-sales query. This was when I was considering trying out your reseller program.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7114595/Virpus-Presale.png

It won't take a genius to figure out that Justin's responses were seldom helpful. My very first post in that ticket asked him more than just one question. I got a reply to just one of the 2 questions I asked. I really was hoping for a response that would be slightly more enthusiastic and detailed.

My post after his reply went into more detail asking about discount levels, specifically asking whether the resale was a client area discount code or a reseller panel. My question was, again, ignored. Justin's response clearly implies that I would have access to an actual reseller panel (which since I was not aware of, I assumed it would be a panel where I could create VPSs too). Considering that he outright ignored my query about it being only discount codes, and not clearing that fact up, means I wasn't in the wrong in assuming. It really isn't my fault if your sales rep is not one bit enthusiastic when replying to pre-sale queries.

I decided to take the plunge anyway. So 2 days later I ordered and paid for an additional 6 VPSs to qualify for reseller access. After that, I opened a ticket. Screenshot below:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7114595/Virpus-Postsale.png

For your reference, here's your reseller information page:
    http://virpus.com/standalone/reseller.html

It clearly states the discount codes range from 15% to 35%. I was given a 10% discount code that only applied to a specific part of your inventory. This fact was not outlined in the reseller page. And it was conveniently ignored when I asked about it (reseller levels, etc) in my presale ticket (look above). I'm not even worried about the 10% code, chuck it; doesn't matter. The point here is about principal. If you are going to mention 'from 15% to 35%' then live up to that claim. If you're going to have specific limits, mention those; if not, at least mention them when asked about specifically in a pre-sale ticket.

Setting aside the discount code issue, and the confusion caused by all of this, because Justin could not be bothered to reply in an appropriate manner to my pre-sale query, the post-sale query was then completely ignored. It's all right there. After giving me access to a reseller panel, a discount code, and a promo vps link he disappeared. Just like that.

I posted because I was confused with it all. I also wanted to inquire about the free panels offer listed on your reseller page. So I asked about that too. But from that point, up until today, I have had no response to the ticket. As of this moment, it is still waiting on a rep's reply. And guess what? Justin's last reply was on 10th October which was Monday. Even if your sales works for limited hours M-F, my query was never on a weekend. My subsequent responses were on Tuesday, and Wednesday. When I got no reply by early Wednesday, I sent an email to the escalations department.

Today is Thursday, my email was never replied to. My ticket was never responded to. All of this during the work week, not the weekend. And yes, I've waited for quite some time. Yes it's a sales ticket, so I expected a 24 hour delay. But today, it's been 72 hours.

Oh and here's the email I sent:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7114595/Virpus-Escalations.png

The time zone on the email is GMT+5. Interestingly, this was sent from the same email address that I have on file with you guys. Any and all notifications from Virpus come to this email address. So I will be very surprised if this landed in spam!

There you have it, my side of the entire story complete with screenshots to back me up. Now the way I was treated would lead me to believe you don't care about your customers. You could say you serve thousands of them, sure. But all I know, and all that matters to me, is what I see. And to be very honest, I know I was treated very poorly. The entire query could have been responded to and resolved within minutes if your sales rep wanted to. All he had to do was type one detailed reply clearing my doubts and confusion, and I would have been happy enough to continue. But the responses were far from satisfactory. The only feeling I got was that he just wanted to get rid of me and the ticket.

The ticket IDs are in the screenshots, you can get those. But I will not be continuing, unfortunately. Best of luck to you in your endeavors.

I can see your points LifeTalk, it really could of been handled more professionally, and the front sales guy did not do a decent job at all. Sorry.

Hello,

I can see that your questions clearly were not completely answered in full, and I will surely address this with the concerned personnel. The delays you experienced dealt with this person being out of the office for parts of Tuesday and Wednesday, for issues out of their control, and I do apologize for this.

The website is reflecting an older discount rate, which I will get this updated. However, the PDF does clearly outline our new rates and at that time, you could either proceed or look at other options.

At any rate, I do apologize for the level of service received. As said, I will address the concerned personnel and will review all tickets in their queue to ensure there are no tickets similar to yours, and if so, get them addressed.

Once again, our apologies here, as the ball was dropped. We wish you the best with any other hosting companies you chose to work with.

Apologies if I missed it, but there is no link to a PDF on the reseller page. Nor was I given a PDF of any sort in any of my tickets. It could have answered a lot of my queries, assuming the PDF details all the aspects about the reseller, but I was never given a link to any PDF.

We would only provide you with it if requested or if you said you want to signup for the reseller program and were ready. How it works is, we would send you the PDF before we do anything, and you would need to let us know if you agree with it. After that, we'd setup your reseller account and send the details. The PDF is not on our website.

Did this client ever receive the PDF, from the sounds of it, he did not.

Quote Originally Posted by TBradley View Post
    Did this client ever receive the PDF, from the sounds of it, he did not.
    No, he did not, as the rep assumed he requested it in the past as he had some knowledge about the program already. I've addressed this with him off this thread.