hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Specialty Hosting and Markets : Game Servers : Best single rack server for css?

Forum Jump

Best single rack server for css?

Reply Post New Thread In Game Servers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 03:00 PM

Best single rack server for css?

Hi there I was wondering if you guys could help me decide on a server spec to build to host a solely counter strike source games. (and then csgo servers when released)

I understand css tends to be slightly more cpu heavy rather than ram and so im trying to figure out what I should be going with to run as many games from a single 1u rack server.

Looking around there seems to be some amazing server processes around now which are not too expensive.

I was thinking about building a machine based around the Intel Xeon E31240 (or slightly better) with 8 gig of ram. (would it be worth buying 16 gig of ram and a slightly tier processor or will the system have a bottleneck.)

Thanks for any advice you can provide me.

ps.
Would it be more cost effective to two lower grade servers?
I am actually looking at covering around 800 slots of css and then (less slots) cs:go when released.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

We use E3-1230 with 16GB. Anything more isn't just cost effective.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

X9SCM-F Supermicro motherboard, Kingston ValueRAM 2x 4gb sticks. If your running Windows Server 2008 it usually idles at about 1.5gb of ram, and if your using the core version, then much less.

A 32 slot CS server will use no more than 500mb of ram. Usually they use only 350-400, but we'll say it's 500mb just to be safe.

If you run four of those servers, you'll put one server on each core, and have a total of 128 players, and you'll be using about 2-2.5gb of ram. You can then add another 1-2 servers to run on the virtual cores, or hyperthreaded core (which will tap into any extra room on the 4 other cores) and now your at 3-3.5gb of ram.

I'd say go with 8gb, as you won't exceed that with Counter-strike servers (TF2, DoD are all about the same as far as resource usage goes) And before you fill up 16gb of ram with Counter-strike servers, you'd max out your CPU, and possibly your NIC.

Now if you say wanted to do minecraft servers, then yes, go with 16gb. The 4gb Kingston valueram that fits in that board costs about $40 per stick, so it's best to get 8gb, and if you do need more (which you most likely won't) then just ship a stick out to your Data-center unless they charge quite a bit for remote hands.

As for processor, if your running 4-5 CS servers, you could easily get away with the E3-1220, which costs about $200 ish whereas the 1240 is $265 and runs a bit faster than the 1220.

www.evlgaming.com

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSpeedServers View Post
We use E3-1230 with 16GB. Anything more isn't just cost effective.
How many counter strike source servers could you get out of that then?

simply put if I had a target of around 600 slots which would be the cheapest route?