hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Ecommerce Hosting & Discussion : Skrill (Moneybookers) - Turn into SCAM !

Forum Jump

Skrill (Moneybookers) - Turn into SCAM !

Reply Post New Thread In Ecommerce Hosting & Discussion Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Web Hosting Master

Angry

Skrill (Moneybookers) - Turn into SCAM !

Been using moneybookers for web hosting transactions for years. It is only when we start to request to withdraw fund recently, then we smell something is fishy!

We have send a verified copy of our bank account to increase our withdrawal limit. Fine. We passed that test. And in them middle of several email exchange, they started to say our business model is not acceptable and will have to freeze our account. We are like WTF? Which part of the terms that say web hosting business is illegal? http://www.moneybookers.com/app/help.pl?s=terms .(SCAM alert reason #1)

Quote:
Unfortunately we will not be able to process further with the verification of your account as your business model is not accepted by our regulations and we will not be able to provide you with our services from this point further.
The funds in your account will be held for 30 days after the last receive money transaction which was on 29 September 2011

And now if you login to their control panel, their withdrawal page give this locked reasons. C'ommon, which company still ask you to snail mail a copy of identity nowadays? Even company like paypal have an option to allow you to upload photocopy of identity via their e-form!

Making us to use snailmail? (SCAM alert #2!!!!)
Not even an option to email a photocopy?!

Quote:

Your account is locked for all transactions therefore we cannot complete this transaction. To unlock your account, you must send a VERIFIED copy of your passport or national identity card to the following address:

Welken House
10-11 Charterhouse Square
London EC1M 6EH
United Kingdom

We accept as VERIFIED, all copies which are certified in your country of residence by:

* a licenced notary public; OR
* a licenced solicitor or attorney-at-law; OR
* a regulated bank or financial institution; OR
* a local government authority (e.g. the police)

as true copies of the original.
Now, they are holding over USD 8000+ in our account which we have not withdraw a single cent from them before since sign up! WOW!

And finally, why would they want to rename theirselves from moneybookers to skrill? (scam alert #3)

You guys should start checking your skrill account(formerly moneybookers ) . I bet you are going to have big problem when start to withdraw your fund or even given lot of excuses by them to make you unable to withdraw fund!

My advice is AVOID Skrill (formerly moneybookers) at all cost!

-joseph

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Web Hosting Master

$8,000 is nothing to Moneybookers/Skrill. I sincerely doubt they would try to defraud or scam you for such a low sum of money.

Try to reason with them or just send the documents. They may have discovered a reason to do this extra verification and unless your account manager can make it go away, you will have to comply.

They are licensed by the FSA, which adds credibility and also means you can go after them if you think that they are trying to risk their multi-million company for $8,000.

Regarding requiring snail mail, this is the only way by which a notarized passport copy is valid. A photocopy of a notarized passport is worth as much as a non-notarized photocopy. With courier, it should only take a few days for the documents to arrive at their offices.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Web Hosting Guru

a few years ago I had same problem, They blocked my account without a real reason.. I spent a few hours to fix the issue and then never worried about the stupid moneybookers.. Paypal is the best.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Web Hosting Master

USD $8000 is nothing to us too! But their way of doing business is dirty! Extremely dirty, i must say! Shouldn't we let other business owners know about this? We do not want other business owners to accumulate a huge amount of funds before encounter the similar problem like us!

Hope you understand!

Old 10-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxhub View Post
USD $8000 is nothing to us too! But their way of doing business is dirty! Extremely dirty, i must say! Shouldn't we let other business owners know about this? We do not want other business owners to accumulate a huge amount of funds before encounter the similar problem like us!

Hope you understand!
Well you are right, $8000 is nothing to Moneybookers and to you, they should not block accounts without a strong reason.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

That is weird, I have never really had a problem with them. Seems like more and more people are getting scammed online these days though. Sorry to hear about that mate.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:19 PM
WHT Addict

Mxhub, sorry to hear about your problems but I wouldn't call that fraud, hmm.
There's nothing wrong with sending a copy of your docs.
It can be a part of anti-money-laundering acts.

Hope you will resolve your issue.

Good luck.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Actively learning French

Prior to receiving their email about the name change, we had to verify our business account with them via mail. (this was about 3 months before the name change though) and although we do not use them extensively, we have never had any problems with them at all. We more use it for UK clients who prefer to use this as opposed to paypal.

Website Maintenance: HERE Twitter: @hostultimo FB: fb.com/hostultimo

Old 10-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Paypal and Moneybookers are huge companies licensed and regulated by US and UK financial authorities which means they will 'cover their ass' as thoroughly as possible. Generally this translates into freezing / closing accounts and holding money whenever even the slightest possibility of violation in country or bank policy and law could be implied (and that is one huge grey area for them). It doesn't mean they are a scam, but it doesn't mean they are the best choice for processing your customer transactions either. That being said you can run into a number of other problems with processing companies that don't have these same issues and work from other jurisdictions. If you're accepting any form of payment besides wire transfers you really need to do as much research as possible and or find someone with experience who can assist you in doing so to ensure your revenue stability .

Unbiased Payment Solution Analysis since 2001_ liam[at]conceptpayments.com

Old 10-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Actively learning French

I second, triple and quadruple every thing you just said pcsx. You are totally right

Old 10-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Web Hosting Master

I had a similar problem with moneybookers
They demanded proof of business documents to be sent by postal method
I advised them I had already supplied bank details, which can easily be confirmed by CHAPS
However they refused this and repeated their demand
So I arranged for my business bank to send them a verification letter
This was declined, as they claimed it was not an original document and did not meet the criteria

I appreciate this is for regulatory requirements in the UK, to meet both FSA and anti-laundering processes
However their process is excessively complicated and simply blocks an account without notice, unlike PayPal which advises you in advance

I therefore completed their process, to withdraw all funds, and then ceased using their services
The change of name to skrill.com next year makes no difference

Old 10-04-2011, 12:16 AM
Web Hosting Master

I wonder what stops hosting companies to signup for a merchant account and start accepting credit cards directly instead of all these processors. As it is neither have seller protection.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:12 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusai View Post
I wonder what stops hosting companies to signup for a merchant account and start accepting credit cards directly instead of all these processors
Not all customers have Credit Cards, so you need to flexible in the payment methods you can accept
For low volume businesses using a third party merchant can be cheaper in the short term (calculated on a per transaction basis)

Old 10-04-2011, 04:43 AM
Web Hosting Master

We have been using moneybookers for a while now to also accept web hosting payments. We had to go through that. If you are operating a Business account, you must go through all those processes, most especial, your funds will be held for 30 days especially if you accept payments through their merchant gateway.

Also moneybookers have two usage polices, the general one and that which applies only to merchants. There for you just have to comply except you provided false information during sign up which at this time you can't correct.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:53 AM
Retired Moderator

For me, I try to withdraw all payments into the bank accounts the moment the payments were received. Much safer than keeping with others. I rather the money with me earning bank interest.