hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Quality of Hosting Service vs. Site Design

Forum Jump

Quality of Hosting Service vs. Site Design

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Master

Quality of Hosting Service vs. Site Design

I wanted to raise the issue for a while now, so the time has come I guess.

NOTE: I am not a host, so what I say here comes from a consumer's point of view.

I'm quite sure we all had to deal with some companies previously, with which we have experienced a truly outstanding service/support. I'll make it more easy - I'm sure there are hundreds of members here, representing companies that are honest and live up to the best industry standards....

The problem is - some of the web sites of those truly excellent companies are plain terrible (ugly in other words). (remember, this is a customer talking, so don't shoot me just yet)

When I was a total newbie while back in my life, I was in search for a web hosting company and WEB DESIGN/PRESENCE played significant role in choosing the one. So every time I visited an ugly and cheap site - I was just as fast clicking the "back" button on my browser. And even though it may have been the service I've been looking for - philosophy behind it was easy - if you are so great and people love the service, is it that hard to build an attractive decent web site?

Because I think packaging (the way you present your company) is crucial, especially for beginners. That means you really do have finances to keep your business presence in good condition and it is appreciated.

This issue, by the way, still exists for me personally (I don't know if there are some people who would agree with me), and there are still some good trusted and old companies (in business for , say, 4-5 years) out there that still have same old ugly web sites I don't want to deal with. Because once I see such as a site - my trust to those companies behind them goes down pretty damn quick.

So what do you think about all that?

Is your company represented?

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

I think you are right.

It's down to that "first impressions" thing really. I don't think a site has to be a total showpiece for credibility, but it DOES need to at least look better than someone's first or second attempt at a home page and not full of spelling and grammar errors.

Old
iNET Senior Community Advisor

Like you said, some will agree with you, some won't.

I am comfortable enough with myelf that I don't always shave. And I don't always wear the nicest clothes. And if that makes you want to travel on to that kid that don't need to shave and wearing designer clothes; I suppose that's what you'll do.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Its not about people. Its about online businesses that want to sign up people and be trusted.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Artashes
Its not about people. Its about online businesses that want to sign up people and be trusted.
yerp

Old
Web Hosting Master

C | I Host sure has a professional looking site. Would you trust them? I know 12 year olds that could code for Amazon.com. Couldn't say I'd trust them.

Ah, just playing devil's advocate there. I totally agree with you. Any site with the scrolling marquees and flashing text and looks like it was made with FrontPage express or Geocities will send me running, not matter what their support is like.

It's too bad that is what most people look at, but it's a fact.

Useless Community Liason Ever Since.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Coach
C | I Host sure has a professional looking site. Would you trust them? I know 12 year olds that could code for Amazon.com. Couldn't say I'd trust them.
I was actually trying to come to that point. For as long as good companies won't have sites like C | I Host, they will lose in the number of sign ups.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Treat your site like what it is.. your storefront. If you go into a carpet store that has pieces of carpet all over the place, not a huge selection, and the place doesn't look very well put together you'd probably walk out.. Even if they had the best quality service and price. If you see that they put a good effort into their apperance, the good effort will reflect throughout the business. If you see its half-assed, same deal.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Spammy Hosting Clients Won't Affect Your Site Ranking: Google Blog 2013-04-10 13:36:07
ITX Design Launches Service to Help Simplify PCI DSS Compliance Web Hosting News 2013-01-02 10:59:36
Server Sitters Adds Website Design Service for Web Hosts Web Hosting News 2012-12-21 16:57:19
Quality Technology Services Achieves LEED Gold Certification for Richmond Data Center Web Hosting News 2012-12-11 12:24:04
VerioVelocity Small Business Service Bundles Website Design with Content, Marketing Web Hosting News 2012-12-05 18:24:03