hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : What is best hosting for 100 Wordpress websites ?

Forum Jump

What is best hosting for 100 Wordpress websites ?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

What is best hosting for 100 Wordpress websites ?

A very basic but not-so-simple question. I need advice on hosting for 100 Wordpress based small traffic sites.

Total Wordpress based Websites: 100

Traffic Deatils:
  • Very small to small on 90 websites ( <10 pageviews per day)
  • Medium on 10 websites (~100 pageviews per day)

Required IPs: 5 - 10 (some sites need to be on separate IPs).

My Budget: $100. (Maximum $125).

Uptime Guarantee: Some downtime is acceptable.

cPanel/WHM: Required with root WHM access and SSH access.

What I think: Wordpress websites require too much processing power and RAM, so these two resources should be good in the new hosting. Right now, I am using a 2 GB VPS, but apparantly the CPU on it is a slower one and sometimes the load even reaches 30.0 !!!

Please advise.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Host Reviewer

The load problem is probably due to using poorly-coded WordPress plugins (especially many of those silly "SEO" plugins), and a lack of adequate caching -- both in WordPress and on the VPS itself (opcode, memcache, etc). So that will solve that.

Fat chance on 5-10 IP addresses. You need a valie reason. "SEO" is not one of them. (Not to mention multiple IPs for SEO is a myth now, and has been for quite a few years.)

The budget is good, can buy a nice managed VPS with cPanel/WHM. (All VPS come with root access.)

Look at JaguarPC or EuroVPS.

Old

I am currently with "Site5.com"I think they do good job for that what you are asking for.I had only one or two "Service of denial"but it was I think my problem not their.

I can not say"site5.com"is definate choice.I just have good experience with them in terms of tech support and speed of service.You got unlimited websites/unlimited accounts with Cpanel and unlimited storage with them for $9-$10 a month.

Not bad but I can not say"superb".You get what you pay.

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru

If you sign up a dedicated server, all problems could be solved. With your budget I would recommend the coolhandle dedicated server plan which is less than $100/mo, their server gives all aspects you specifed.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Root access will be difficult to get on shared hosting plans. Are you sure you need it?

Perhaps splitting up the sites in five separate enterprise hosting accounts could be an option for you. That'd also give you the ip addresses you're looking for. Most hosts however will need justification (e.g. ssl) to hand out more than one dedicated per account.

Old
ShillBuster

A FutureHosting VPS would be ideal for what you want.

Old
Dependable Web Services

Where do you currently have these sites hosted? The poor performance of your VPS might also have to do with the VPS being oversold (however kpmedia also brings up some valid points which might also be the cause of your problems).

Click Here to Learn More About Our Services!- Check Out Our Youtube Channel

Old
Premium Member

For 100 Wordpress websites? I suggest use a low spec dedicated server with cPanel/WHM and Varnish and remove unnecessary plugins.

Add your Web Hosting Provider to the Web Hosting Directory

Old
Web Hosting Master

The problem with a dedicated server is it requires at least some management, and getting it done well does cost.

You might be better off getting higher end managed shared hosting or similar; the idea being that you don't have to worry about machine management.

Assuming the $100 is per month!

Why do you think you need root access?

Old
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianoz View Post
The problem with a dedicated server is it requires at least some management, and getting it done well does cost.

You might be better off getting higher end managed shared hosting or similar; the idea being that you don't have to worry about machine management.

Assuming the $100 is per month!

Why do you think you need root access?
I don't know of any Shared hosting provider that lets you host 100 resource hungry WordPress sites all on one account no matter how much you pay them. It just isn't worth it. The provider would prefer the user to use their own VPS/Dedicated server.

Add your Web Hosting Provider to the Web Hosting Directory

Old
Dependable Web Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
I don't know of any Shared hosting provider that lets you host 100 resource hungry WordPress sites all on one account no matter how much you pay them. It just isn't worth it. The provider would prefer the user to use their own VPS/Dedicated server.
If the OP was willing to get rid of the need to have Root Access, they could also just go with multiple reseller accounts? I guess we just need a little more information about the OP's current situation (such as where they current have thier VPS hosted at). For all we know, the OP might have 100 sites hosted on a extremely oversold VPS or like Kpmedia pointed out, it could simply be a matter of poorly optimized wordpress sites.

Click Here to Learn More About Our Services!- Check Out Our Youtube Channel

Old
Web Hosting Master

I would definitely look at your plug ins. Wordpress itself is not resource intensive. It doesn't take a lot of disk space, and is efficiently coded. Dump All-in-one-SEO first and see if that works (you can use Yoast's SEO plugin; it helps you write posts that meet the SEO requirements without causing slowdowns with each load.)

You should easily be able to run 100 low volume Wordpress sites on a 2GB VPS.

A reseller account might also work.

Old
Where Thought and Time Collide

Double check all your sites, get rid of any resource intensive plugins, and move to a better VPS.

Wiredtree is very good and should be able 100 Wordpress sites.

██ Email: sales [@] 48-14 .com • Twitter: @4814

Old

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for all your kind responses. Here are the answers to your queries:

1) Currently I am using VPSLatch (apparantly owned by DimeHost). I have a 2 GB VPS there for $45 per month (got in a sale).

2) Yes, the Wordpress sites uses MANY inefficient plugins. All kinds of plugins. Mostly slideshows, photo galleries, etc. Most of the websites are for clients and they need to have those plugins :-(

3) All-in-one-SEO is used on a few sites too but I am shifting every such site to Yaost plugin.

4) Currently there are ONLY 50 websites on that 2 GB VPS.

5) I need at least 4 IPs because some clients require separate IPs. I believe with VPS and Dedicated servers, 4 - 8 IPs come along. So, I will get it in $100-$125.

6) I need root access because sometimes I need to install Apache modules or fix other things. I am programming for 10 years, so I get comfortable with root access.

NEW QUESTIONS:

1) If I go with a dedicated server, which server and where should I go? IS HIVELOCITY GOOD ? They have nice servers in $120 range.

2) If I take unlimited SITE5.COM plan, won't they kick me out ? This plan:
http://www.site5.com/p/wordpress/

Please advise and thanks everyone for your responses.

Old
Where Thought and Time Collide

That's a lot of WP sites within 2 GB. Before going up to a server check out WiredTree VPS's. You would get more space for a little more than what your currently paying.

I know with WP depending on the site some use a few plugings and others a whole handful. Just keep an eye on them.

An don't go with anything unlimited space, not worth the hassle.