Exclamation How to become a cracker (not a hacker)

What basic knowledge and tools (applications) must a cracker possess?

I've always been interested in the idea of developing hacks for games--or just tinkering around with them, but I don't know where to start.

What computer languages should I learn? What programs should I get?

Thank you.

i suppose it all depends on what you need to do
    things like iat injection will allow you to override functions in an executable or dll. i use this legitimately too.
    or you could need to simply do memory hacking, eg overwrite the memory that says you have 10hp and is now 100hp. ive used cheat engine ages ago for a fun mess about. it has some pretty great guides for a beginner. managed to hack ut2003 in about 10mins by following its guide.

a reminder tho, by the time you hack/cheat a game you've ruined it for yourself and maybe others, especially if its a challenging single player.

Hello,

Learn enough python to write plugins for IDA Pro, disassemble your application, reverse engineer it. I personally use IDA pro, its an amazing application worth the grand to buy it. If you're serious about it, you'll want to write them in an easy language, I personally use c# and port everything to lua apis for scripting my application for automation... if you want to be a little more specific on exactly what you want to, you can PM me and i can guide you in the right direction.

I think you have it backwards, hacker is the tinkerer, cracker is the bad guy, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by paladinstrike View Post
    I think you have it backwards, hacker is the tinkerer, cracker is the bad guy, haha.
    Yeah, that's what I thought too. He wants to be a "hacker", not a cracker.