Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

AlienLayer hosting (alienvps, ufohost) Do not recommend!

So I was surfing this forum to find a good VPS deal from a decent company, and at the time I thought i had found it, but wow... i was wrong. At first their support seemed very nice and polite, i ordered the package and had a smile on my face (excited about my new AMD Bulldozer site). Anyways, then i looked at my paypal statement , i ordered quarterly and i saw that they charged me twice, so i contacted support and they canceled the other charge. That was my first incident. Than i open up my vps and see that my account is suspened, i contact support once again and ask them unsuspend it (some paypal issues) , so they did (that was my second incident, same day). Afterwards i was already making up my mind to leave this host since i was on it one day, so I went to the panel and hit terminate account without ever touching it. I get no reply from support about this so i go to paypal and submit a dispute, the first reply i get is that I was using the server for illegal purposes (havent even connected to it ONCE) and that they will not refund me because of that.

I didnt even used the server! This is ridiculous . So yeah, alienlayer, ufohost, alienvps, their whole network, STAY AWAY! Terrible host.

And sorry this was my first post, i though i already had an account here, apparently not

I thought they had a no refund policy?
    http://alienvps.com/legal/tos/
    Oscar Pan - Beyond All Knowledge - sales{a}beyondallknowledge.com
    Services: Shared Hosting | Virtual Private Servers | VPS Reseller Program
    Locations: Kansas City, MO (Wholesale Internet)
    Quality Hardware | Great Uptime | Quick Support | Friendly Support Team

Anything that has paypal has a refund policy, it was time sensitive and they set it up late. and the point is, they accused me of things i didn't do, and i just had a terrible experience with them.

Quote Originally Posted by vinogradov View Post
    Anything that has paypal has a refund policy
    Where did you learn of this? You should read the TOS of any site before signing up, as their TOS says no refund. I doubt you will get your money back as you do not really have a solid case of being cheated (regardless of the problems... they did try to resolve it for you). Also as web hosting falls under intangible goods as per Paypal they will favor the seller more than you.
    Last edited by wat3v3r; 09-01-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Go for the best hosting you heard. Unnecessarily going for the high rated hosting. In Low only go for the best

I learned that you get what you payed for, and they didnt try to fix anything, they wrongly accused me.

You do definitely get what you pay for mate!
    Lynx Servers, LLC Roots of experience since 2006
    Top-Quality Shared, Reseller & VPS Hosting
    ╟█ 99.9% Uptime High-Class Technical Support
    Acute Server Engineers & Tactful Inspired Staff (now hiring!)

Well, what can I say it is not as if you are losing much on what you bought. Even though they have a "pretty" site with an Alien slash UFO do not always expect perfection and that goes with any provider.

Sadly you failed to review the T.O.S and that is something that you would of have had to agree to before the service was even provisioned.

You failed to read it, so you suffer the consequences. You take out a dispute for what apparent reason?

I think this is something wrong to post even though the mistake was on your behalf, if the payment was doubled up and they refused to refund that then it may be a different story but to me it just sounds like you are posting a rather negative response based on their billing issues.
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    Well, what can I say it is not as if you are losing much on what you bought. Even though they have a "pretty" site with an Alien slash UFO do not always expect perfection and that goes with any provider.

Sadly you failed to review the T.O.S and that is something that you would of have had to agree to before the service was even provisioned.

You failed to read it, so you suffer the consequences. You take out a dispute for what apparent reason?

I think this is something wrong to post even though the mistake was on your behalf, if the payment was doubled up and they refused to refund that then it may be a different story but to me it just sounds like you are posting a rather negative response based on their billing issues.
    And that is assuming it was their billing issues which I highly doubt as all host know that use paypal as a gateway the host does NOT TAKE the money, the host does NOT initiate the transfer its between the customer and paypal.

I get customers double paying all the time and they get refunded every time its usually a subscription issue (Which the customer sets up).

No offence OP I know this has probably been very frustrating for you but the paypal issues... totally not the hosts fault, not reading the TOS or even ctrl+f'ing it for the word refund .... totally your fault... which leaves zero fault on the host.

I will say though if you double paid and they don't refund that then they are not very nice people at all (Given that you raised a dispute I suspect they wont even refund that now)
    -> INCEPTION HOSTING LIMITED Since 2010!
    -> I am most active on the lowendspirit hosting forum Come join us!
    -> PHOENIX USA & THE NETHERLANDS & UK EU

^ Considering there was no mention of a subscription in the first place, when a subscription is created it be created as part of the first payment (whether or not the user chose it, or whether the company enforces it) so it goes based on the invoice payment date and is then sent over on each cycle that it be due.

Question is how and why was it charged twice for a quarter, you have used the assumption of a 'Subscription' even though it was never mentioned

I get customers double paying all the time and they get refunded every time its usually a subscription issue (Which the customer sets up).
    We personally give them that option, if they want it as a credit it is up to them and/or a refund, again it is up to them - you'd be surprised at how many people are willing to accept a double charge to be added as a credit.
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

I used that assumtion based on the fact that the OP clearly has no idea how paypal actualy works and I am sticking to it

Or to put it another way... tell me how a host can take a payment from a customer with paypal without the customer confirmation and or permission via a subscription...?

They cant so I stand by my point it was the user that paid twice no matter what the circumstances the Host did not take the money the user sent it.

I used that assumtion based on the fact that the OP clearly has no idea how paypal actualy works and I am sticking to it
    Well it will remain an assumption, something you should not always stick to for one

Or to put it another way... tell me how a host can take a payment from a customer with paypal without the customer confirmation and or permission via a subscription...?
    Who really knows, subscriptions are always a possibility but then only the provider/customer really know that and assumptions really don't help.

They cant so I stand by my point it was the user that paid twice no matter what the circumstances the Host did not take the money the user sent it.
    You can stick to that, not knocking your assumption but till we know that is all it will be.

Actually the second point is not an assumption its an absolute fact.

As a Consumer, you have every right to dispute the PayPal charges. If you don't feel comfortable with a Host, you can opt out at any time, but there may be some consequences,ie., time and money.This is why it is so important to do your research,read the "fine" print. I am interested to see how this all plays out, please keep us posted.
    SCOTT CORBIN http://www.zipservers.com/
    Managed Hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Servers
    "Award Winning Hosting" TOLL FREE: 1-800-560-3450
    DATA CENTERS : Dallas, Seattle, Washington, D.C., and London, UK.

^ How does he/she have that right when he/she clearly agreed to the terms of the service that was being provisioned?

Does not seem right to me. I know customers do this all the time even though they know they were wrong to begin with (but if you agree to a service that offers no refunds) based on the 'original' price and disregarding any proceeded funds that may of been paid by accident, it just does not seem fair to the provider.

So at the end of the day, it does come down to a 'goods' that are intangible.

^ Unfortunately I cannot agree with you in this instance.

IMO this is the relevant fact:

Quote Originally Posted by vinogradov View Post
    the first reply i get is that I was using the server for illegal purposes (havent even connected to it ONCE) and that they will not refund me because of that.
    I think the OP should report this e-mail to the WHT mods.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    IMO this is the relevant fact:

I think the OP should report this e-mail to the WHT mods.
    Its in the paypal dispute, I can screenshot it.

When will people figure out that paypal dispute does not equate to a refund policy. A paypal dispute reflects negatively on both parties.

Quote Originally Posted by portalgod View Post
    When will people figure out that paypal dispute does not equate to a refund policy. A paypal dispute reflects negatively on both parties.
    When a company flat out scams you and blames you for doing something when you havent even logged into the control panel, i think I have every right for a refund. If everything went smoothly, i would still be using this host.

1) As others in this thread have mentioned, Hosts don't TAKE money from you via Paypal, you SEND money to them. That is, you AUTHORIZE Paypal to send money to the host. That is especially true with a Subscription payment setup. You've AUTHORIZED Paypal to send the host money, not that the host TAKES the money from you.

2) You signed up agreeing to TOS/AUP that no refunds will be given, yet when you voluntarily terminate service, you expect a refund for services allocated? Rememeber, you were allocated resources based on your order which you paid for. Whether you opt to use it or not, you paid to have it allocated. If you hadn't ordered the server, the host could have allocated it to someone else. Why should they pay for the opportunity lost because you changed your mind afterward.

3) Whether you used your server or not is of no concern to the host. If they have record of malicious activity against their TOS/AUP, they have every right to suspend the machine. The caveat here is that they need valid record. As an unmanaged host, once they allocated the resources to you, it's YOUR responsibility to secure the server from exploit. Just because you never logged in doesn't alleviate you from all responsibility of what happens with that server.

That's my 2 cents.

Edit 1 :
    By the way, I'm not a customer of Alienwhatever or in any way affiliated with them. I'm just reading the thread and offering a couple of points that customers don't typically understand.

Edit 2 :
    Also, a Paypal dispute is intended to be used when you paid for something and you didn't recieve any product. In this case, you got allocated exactly the resources you paid for. Because you voluntarily terminated service doesn't entitle you to a dispute. You recieved what you paid for, you are just chooosing to end service. That is NOT what a dispute is for.
    Last edited by portalgod; 09-02-2011 at 12:43 PM.

1)2) You signed up agreeing to TOS/AUP that no refunds will be given, yet when you voluntarily terminate service

3) If they have record of malicious activity against their TOS/AUP, they have every right to suspend the machine. The caveat here is that they need valid record.
    You must decide between "the OP terminated the service" and "the provider terminated the service".

The OP's allegation is: he voluntarily terminated the service and the provider replied the PayPal dispute saying the OP was using illegaly the VPS. It is a very serious accusation.

I didn't read anywhere the VPS was suspended or hacked.

...Than i open up my vps and see that my account is suspened, i contact support once again and ask them unsuspend it (some paypal issues) , so they did (that was my second incident, same day). Afterwards i was already making up my mind to leave this host since i was on it one day, so I went to the panel and hit terminate account without ever touching it. I get no reply from support about this so i go to paypal and submit a dispute, the first reply i get is that I was using the server for illegal purposes (havent even connected to it ONCE) and that they will not refund me because of that...
    That's from the OPs original post. I interpret that to mean 1) ordered and paid for said vps, 2) OP had some communications with host to resolve a double billing issue, 3) host suspends acount, 4) OP notices suspension, asks for unsuspension , host unsuspends, 5) subsequent to unuspension, op decides to voluntarily terminate, hears nothing from host, so OP voluntarily issues Paypal dispute.

That's from the OPs original post. I interpret that to mean 1) ordered and paid for said vps, 2) OP had some communications with host to resolve a double billing issue, 3) host suspends acount, 4) OP notices suspension, asks for unsuspension , host unsuspends, 5) subsequent to unuspension, op decides to voluntarily terminate, hears nothing from host, so OP voluntarily issues Paypal dispute.
    Yeah, "my account is suspened, i contact support once again and ask them unsuspend it (some paypal issues) so they did (that was my second incident, same day).". No mention to "malicious activity against their TOS/AUP" or "illegal use".

First incident: "... i looked at my paypal statement , i ordered quarterly and i saw that they charged me twice, so i contacted support and they canceled the other charge."

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    Yeah, "my account is suspened, i contact support once again and ask them unsuspend it (some paypal issues) so they did (that was my second incident, same day).". No mention to "malicious activity against their TOS/AUP" or "illegal use".
    Fair enough.

Yeah, It was a shock that they accused me of doing anything illegal since I never even saw the control panel, ill screenshot the tickets and post them here.

EDIT: here

http://i.imgur.com/iwGRN.png
    http://i.imgur.com/xTrue.png
    http://i.imgur.com/lzgWx.png
    Last edited by vinogradov; 09-02-2011 at 06:08 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast