Thread: Getting a VPS

Getting a VPS

Hello folks,

Am planning to get a VPS. I will mainly use it as Teamspeak3 server under NPL, I do expect between 50-100 users at once. I will be installing Linux CentOS 6 32bit with LAMP and no control panel.

Most of my clients are from Europe and Middle East.My budget is pretty tight, Iam welling to spend less than $15 a month.

I found two hosts so far: Hetzner and IntoVPS. Both offers 512Mb of guaranteed RAM and only IntoVPS offers burstable up to 1GB.

Do you think it's enough to run TS3 with this expected quote of users ?

Regards,,,

In Europe you have a lot of reputable providers offering budget plans with solid hardware plenty of resources and good networks for under $15. IMO it is more a matter of first define the requirements and then find the provider.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

A lot of providers can cover your requirements. IntoVPS are good though, we host our master solusvm server with them.
    IT & Hosting Solutions Rotherham - Virtual6 Ltd
    IT Distributor | IT Manufacturer | Hosted Products | Business IT Support

I just need to find a proper VPS plan to cover my needs .. which is running an TS3.. would 512MB of RAM be enough?

I wouldn`t know of the top of my head, its really just a case of seeing how it perfoms with different amounts of users and keeping an eye on it. One of the joys of having a VPS is upgrading and downgrading resources easily
    IT & Hosting Solutions Rotherham - Virtual6 Ltd
    IT Distributor | IT Manufacturer | Hosted Products | Business IT Support

Well, the Teamspeak web site says this about system requirements:

TeamSpeak 3 Server - Linux

• A reasonably modern Linux environment with libstdc++6. In addition, TeamSpeak 3 requires the epoll API which was introduced in Linux kernel 2.5.44. Support was added to glibc in version 2.3.2. Note that Linux distributors may provide packages which have different requirements.
    • Intel Pentium III, AMD Athlon XP, or any newer CPU (recommended: 800 MHz or faster)
    • 128 MB of system memory (recommended: 512 MB or more)
    • 5 MB of disk space
    • Internet connection

So find a VPS that meets those requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by k_ross View Post
    Well, the Teamspeak web site says this about system requirements:

TeamSpeak 3 Server - Linux

• A reasonably modern Linux environment with libstdc++6. In addition, TeamSpeak 3 requires the epoll API which was introduced in Linux kernel 2.5.44. Support was added to glibc in version 2.3.2. Note that Linux distributors may provide packages which have different requirements.
    • Intel Pentium III, AMD Athlon XP, or any newer CPU (recommended: 800 MHz or faster)
    • 128 MB of system memory (recommended: 512 MB or more)
    • 5 MB of disk space
    • Internet connection

So find a VPS that meets those requirements.
    I had already read the requirements and theoretically getting a VPS with 512MB would be fine , but am talking about 50-100 actual slots used .. would the VPS still keep up?

Regards,,,

If no one can answer your question here... try TS forum.
    SysAdmin.xyz
    Having severs with customer data on it without proper monitoring is like having one night stand without using protections - eventually, there will be an 'oh s**t!' moment.

Hint: get a VPS and run some tests. Most of the providers have a money back guarantee policy. This way you actually risk nothing and can have a test VPS for free .

If it doesn't work - ask for a refund. If it works but you haven't decided yet - ask for a refund.
    (assuming there's a money back guarantee for whatever reason you're asking the refund)

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Andreias View Post
    Hint: get a VPS and run some tests. Most of the providers have a money back guarantee policy. This way you actually risk nothing and can have a test VPS for free .

If it doesn't work - ask for a refund. If it works but you haven't decided yet - ask for a refund.
    (assuming there's a money back guarantee for whatever reason you're asking the refund)
    Make sense!

Maybe get that VPS, see the load when users are on it and decide if you have to upgrade or not?

You need a cloud vps for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Delgado2009 View Post
    You need a cloud vps for this.
    And don't forget a sun! Much more useful than a cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Andreias View Post
    And don't forget a sun! Much more useful than a cloud.
    LOL

But anyway... CentOS + LAMP assuming you don't know how to optimise it and I assume as your installing a LAMP stack your going to actually use it so there is 300MB straight away.

100 TS3 Users @ 0.6MB per slot = 60 MB
    TS3 itself 128 MB

Even assuming you do literally nothing else on the server that's 488 MB

That's not leaving yourself very much room at all and heaven forbid a few people hit up your site at the same time.

I would suggest you would have a much more stable environment having with either a 768 - 1024 MB Server or better still 2 x 512's
    -> INCEPTION HOSTING LIMITED Since 2010!
    -> I am most active on the lowendspirit hosting forum Come join us!
    -> PHOENIX USA & THE NETHERLANDS & UK EU