1and1 Windows 2003 re-image

I've got a Win 2003 VPS at 1and1 that I've had for a couple of years now. Last week I did a re-image from the 1and1 control panel so I could get a fresh install. The problem is that the Administrator account from the image seems to be hosed, based on the following observations:

When I connect via Remote Desktop Connection, signed in as Administrator, I no longer see my local drives in the VPS Windows Explorer, despite the fact that I have them checked in the Local Resources tab of RDC.

If I double-click the "Activate Plesk" icon, I get the message "Loading your settings failed (Access is denied)".

If I turn on the system clock to show on the taskbar or set the desktop icons to "Auto arrange", those settings are lost if I logout and back in again.

Internet Explorer is set to the most restrictive security settings so that files cannot be downloaded from other sites. Any attempt to change those settings under Tools|Internet Options are ignored. Uninstalling the IE security pack did not help.

I can create folders but they are marked with the "read-only" attribute. If I try to clear it, it just resets.

I can browse the file system through the Parallels Power Panel from the 1and1 web site but any attempt to upload a file results in the error "Application Error - the server has encountered an internal error or misconfiguration".

So I have no way to get any files on my VPS. IIS is running however and I can make a basic index.htm file using NotePad. The re-image feature has two options: a basic Win 2003 install and one with Plesk. I tried them both (multiple times) but neither work.

I emailed 1and1 support last Thursday evening and didn't get a response until Saturday morning, where they asked for my server password. After supplying that, they said they would open a support ticked. It's now Tuesday afternoon and I've heard nothing back yet and have been dead in the water for 5 days now.

Anyway, anyone else here with a 1and1 VPS try a Win 2003 re-image? If so, did you have any of these problems?

Seven days later and still no response from 1and1. Apparently they no longer want my $29 a month. I cancelled my 3-year old account today and opened one with another service.

Your ticket may be lost in their support system.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL SmarterMail Enterprise

Quote Originally Posted by PremiumHost View Post
    Your ticket may be lost in their support system.
    I doubt it. I asked for a status a couple days ago and got no reply. I also checked my spam filters to make sure nothing got caught in there.

This is why 1&1 is a lousy host. I had similar experiences some years ago. The efforts all seem to be spent on ads, promotions, affiliate sales, etc -- but once you're the customer, who cares. They have you, they have your money.

If a host loses a ticket, then that's a good reason to leave anyway.

EuroVPS, EcoVPS and JaguarPC are much better Windows hosts.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kbriggs View Post
    I've got a Win 2003 VPS at 1and1 that I've had for a couple of years now. Last week I did a re-image from the 1and1 control panel so I could get a fresh install. The problem is that the Administrator account from the image seems to be hosed, based on the following observations:
    I had the exact same problem. I had the Win 2003 for years and had to reimage it in October because the server had been compromised. After I reimaged it, I had problems similar to the ones you described. I could not set folders so that file extensions were visible. My selecting the system clock to be visible defaulted back to invisible every time I logged out. I was NEVER able to uncheck the default "Group similar items in taskbar" Every time I tried it failed to ungroup and when I would go back the box was checked again. It was almost as if I did not have full administrative access.

1and1 was supposed to open a case with the administrators - but they never got back with me. Finally, I suggested that perhaps it was the result of a bad installation. I had accessed the server a few minutes before the control panel showed that the installation had completed. One of the techs suggested that this might have been the problem and suggested a reimage. So I reimaged it - twice - and the results were the same each time.

Finally, one of the better and more helpful techs there told me that Microsoft was offering limited or little ongoing support on 2003 and was encouraging companies such as 1and1 to migrate customers to 2008. Furthermore, he told me that there apparently is a problem with the 2003 image that 1and1 is using to image the servers and that other users are having similar problems and that this is not likely to be fixed. He recommended that I upgrade to 2008 - which basically provided a bigger server, more bandwidth for the same amount of money. Only real downside is I had to get a new IP address.

Unfortunately, I am on the verge of leaving 1and1 due to the fact that my VPS has been crashing on a very regular basis. I am actually still running my old 2003 VPS as well as the 2008 VPS. Last week, the 2008 crashed and rebooted. Last night BOTH servers crashed and rebooted at around the same time. Every time the servers crash there are resource alerts in the Parrallels Power Panel which seem to suggest that OTHER customers on the VPS are using too much CPU and/or disc space. I know for a fact that I am not running any CPU intensive programs and my disc space on both VPS machines is at a tiny fraction of quota. The particular tech I spoke with tonight was very bureaucratic and unhelpful. Supposedly the administrators are to take a look and tell me what caused both servers to go down and get back with me. But I am not holding my breath. Some of their techs are very good. And some of them are bureaucratic drones.

I had GREAT luck for YEARS with 1and1 VPS. But the past few months I have had to spend an inordinate amount of time on the phone with tech support. To their credit, I usually get someone to answer fairly quickly. But the bottom line, they do not seem institutionally capable of solving my ongoing problem. I also have a Linux VSP with Tecknoic - and that thing and the programs on it runs like a clock for many, many months without problems. I see that they now offer Windows VPS - though they cost more and have less bandwidth than 1&1. If the 1and1 administrator fails to get back with me and they fail to address my concerns, they will be losing a customer who has actively recommended them to others for years.