Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RegistryRocket.com ...?

Does anyone know anything about RegistryRocket.com - their system etc?

Their site www.registryrocket.com doesn't really have any information on it - of any significance.

... thanks.

I would not deal with a company that can not give you any information at all. There is nothing there, just look up domain and buy it. I wonder how many people actually put their Credit Card number in there.
    Thank You, Sesran
    www.Hostified.com - Web Hosting
    Offering Shared, Reseller & Windows Hosting

The site is owned by enom.com I believe, even though it states $19.95 for visitors I believe this is the interface (web one for those that don't use the integrated system) that enom tell resellers to use where they get their $8.95/yr price.
    MattF - Since the start..

Matt's close. Yes registryrocket is owned by enom and resellers who don't use the integrated system can use registryrocket temporarily to get domains registered. Usually the URL is www.registryrocket.com/somehorridlylongcodelink, but annoyingly, they do have a way for people to register domains if they just cut out all the referal code. If you register without the referal code it is $19.95 through enom.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

anyone had actually using this reseller before?

I usually don't follow these links, but this is funny. As per the top part of registryrocket's website:

Welcome to Error! * Do Not Continue! * Go back to previous website and try again!* Do not continue!*
    Domain Services
    -Matt
    Matt Meier, RackNine Inc.
    email: mmeier@racknine.com
    web: http://www.racknine.com

Originally posted by RackNine
    I usually don't follow these links, but this is funny. As per the top part of registryrocket's website:

quote:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome to Error! * Do Not Continue! * Go back to previous website and try again!* Do not continue!* Domain Services
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Geez... take it easy, folks! As Chicken correctly pointed out, Registry Rocket is just the brandable, generic eNom registration, transfer and management interface that resellers can use if they don't download and customize the eNom API. The salient benefit is that an eNom reseller can create a Registry Rocket interface, set pricing, specify a few other particulars via checking a few boxes, and then have a working domain registration site up and running in about two minutes (minus the time it takes to create a version of one's logo that's properly sized and has the right background color, and which can be uploaded to eNom so it will appear properly, of course). And another benefit being that when one uses Registry Rocket, eNom does the credit card processing for the reseller.

The URL http://www.registryrocket.com was never intended to be accessed by anyone without the, as Chicken correctly stated it, "horridly long code link" after it, as in:

registryrocket.com/default.asp?ec=[horridly long code here]

The code (usually a "horridly long" string of alphanumeric characters) identifies the reseller's account to Registry Rocket and allows for the reseller's logo and pricing to appear in the appropriate places. And also for the sale to get credited, and properly placed in, to the eNom reseller account where it belongs.

Most eNom resellers do not just put that page up as their registration web site. They usually have some sort of main page(s) and then just link to the Registry Rocket page or put it in a frame or put it in a javascripted pop-up window. When presented like that, and with the reseller's logo at the top, you probably would trust it and go ahead and enter your credit card, etc. -- that is, if you trusted the reseller otherwise.

Still, it's true that it's not cool, as others in this thread clearly imply. eNom probably should have written the code such that when "/default.asp?ec=[insert code here]" does not appear after "registryrocket.com," then perhaps a default page that simply explains that it's a special purpose site, which cannot be accessed in the manner in which the visitor has accessed it, should appear. I'll direct the folks at eNom to this thread and we'll see if they'll add it to their to-do list.
    Last edited by DesElms; 06-07-2002 at 08:35 PM.
    Gregg L. DesElms

Thumbs up

The site www.registryrocket.com is running Microsoft-IIS/5.0 on Windows 2000. www.netcraft.com

Originally posted by DesElms
    The URL http://www.registryrocket.com was never intended to be accessed by anyone without the, as Chicken correctly stated it, "horridly long code link" after it, as in:
    I dunno Gregg. At some point enom changed the actual page at http://www.registryrocket.com to that warning message, however it wasn't always there (tells me that they did expect people to go there, in fact I had a client go there and register a domain because they messaged up the link).

Also, instead of that rather bizarre warning, which looks freaky and might spook people about the whole thing, a page with a simple message about the lack of code, or a blank index page would do the trick if you ask me...

• Chicken

Originally posted by intrin
    The site www.registryrocket.com is running Microsoft-IIS/5.0 on Windows 2000. www.netcraft.com
    why is that good?

Originally posted by Chicken

I dunno Gregg. At some point enom changed the actual page at http://www.registryrocket.com to that warning message, however it wasn't always there
    What was there before? I mean... if a person just typed-in http://www.registryrocket.com before, what page did they used to see? I can't remember.

(tells me that they did expect people to go there, in fact I had a client go there and register a domain because they messaged up the link).
    Hmm. Interesting. So you're saying that eNom deliberately wanted that page there so it could pick up a few "accidental" registrations?

Also, instead of that rather bizarre warning, which looks freaky and might spook people about the whole thing, a page with a simple message about the lack of code, or a blank index page would do the trick if you ask me...
    Agreed. That would be better, I think.

I told eNom about this thread and they acknowledged it. I'm sure they're reading it. Hopefully they'll do something, one way or the other.
    Gregg L. DesElms

I had a typo in the last one (typos bug me), should have been, "in fact I had a client go there and register a domain because they messed up the link.." -but you figured it out, just wanted to note that.

Ok, what was there before was a page that you could just register domains, looked the same, no warning, I think at the top it said registry rocket, but can't recall. Price for .com's was $19.99 as it is there. You can actually use the current non-ID'ed link and it works fine. They just have:

Error! * Do Not Continue! * Go back to previous website and try again!* Do not continue!*

...to freak people out, but it all works, so you can't price domains higher than $19.99 (which is high, but maybe someone wants to charge more).

I can only presume by lack of a blank page that they pick up 'accidental' registrations and that thus, it isn't all that 'accidental'. They got one of my clients, and I don't use the link often, but I have.

• Chicken

Do what I did...

http://register.domainlightning.com

eNom URL forwarding to a full-framed page of my creation. That way I control the precise Registry Rocket link the customer goes to.

NOTE: The reason for the full-frame page on my site as opposed to just doing a framed URL forwarding from the eNom control panel is partly because when you do the latter the top margin in the eNom on-the-fly frame page code is 0 and it makes the top of the tan Registry Rocket page sit too high in the browser window. By creating the frame page myself I can control that particular aesthetic element.
    Gregg L. DesElms

Hiya,

I'm a former customer of Aletia Hosting and that's the service they use as well. I registered a domain name through Registry Rocket (a link Aletia sent me) for 8.95.

I haven't had any major problems but ever since I registered a domain, I've always seen those error messages at the top like RackNine mentioned. I've registered my other domains at godaddy.com and haven't had any trouble - actually much easier to navigate as well.

There is a special link on the Aletia control panel where you get to another startsite and the domains cost less than 10 bucks...once I have tried to register a domain there but all I got were error messages...pretty crappy stuff

Originally posted by DesElms
    Do what I did... eNom URL forwarding to a full-framed page of my creation. That way I control the precise Registry Rocket link the customer goes to.
    Note that none of your pages display the secure lock, even the page where they are asked to input creditcard info. This is why I didn't do what you did (thought of it, but wasn't thrilled with this issue).

• Chicken

Note that none of your pages display the secure lock, even the page where they are asked to input creditcard info. This is why I didn't do what you did (thought of it, but wasn't thrilled with this issue).
    Yeah... I struggled with that, too. I decided that before I ever actually turned that site loose as a real working site I'd probably figure out a way around it. But it's just so low on my list of stuff to do at the moment. I'm sure you know the feeling.

Good catch, though.
    Gregg L. DesElms

I think we do a pretty good job of using Registry Rocket. We frame it using a PHP script that can either display the rocket page by itself or automatically initiate a domain search or domain login.

Plus we have an SSL cert to instill a bit more confidence in the consumer.
    Justin McMichael
    Tech Fidelity, LLC

Originally posted by jmcmike
    I think we do a pretty good job of using Registry Rocket.
    I agree. I was looking at your site a while back. Don't remember how I stumbled onto it, but I noticed the interesting way you had framed it and how it differed slightly from Registry Rocket's native behavior. Tell us more about that PHP script... if you're willing.
    Gregg L. DesElms

I don't mind sharing a little... ;-)

First you need to inspect the HTML returned by the main rocket page to determine the required form actions for both the domain search and domin login and write PHP to post your forms in a similar manner directly to eNom. (Hot tip, if IE doesn't let you view the source, connect non-secure)

The framing is a PHP that looks for a var that determines one of three actions: search, login, normal access. Then that PHP sets the main (visible) frame equal to another PHP with enough info to perform the action.

Since the top level PHP (rocket.php) receives a POST regardless of what you're doing, it all looks like one "application"

That's the guts of it. I'll leave the details out as a marginal competitive barrier. But it's all a matter of effort from this point.
    Justin McMichael
    Tech Fidelity, LLC

I should have looked at your site before I made my last posting. You changed it since the last time I looked at it. Before your site had a look that mimicked eNom's tan Registry Rocket user interface so that the integration had a bit more of a seamless feel to it. I'm not saying I don't like what you've now got. In fact I like it better. But now it no longer has the look and feel of Registry Rocket overall. Clearly you were going for the seamless look before. What made you decide to abandon it?
    Gregg L. DesElms

Because tan ovals are butt ugly. ;-)
    Justin McMichael
    Tech Fidelity, LLC

Originally posted by jmcmike
    Because tan ovals are butt ugly. ;-)
    No argument here. But you obviously decided that having the front page you now have was more important than the seamless look. Interesting decision in light of the fact that I thought you did the tan seamless thing about as well as anyone I had seen out there. I mean, I agree with you. But as tan, butt-ugly ovals go, I thought your site did 'em about as well as anyone could. I'm a little surprised you abandoned that. Butt-ugly tan or not, it was a decent, fully functional, easy-to-navigate site that seemed like it pretty much did what it was being paid to do... howsoever inelegantly.

How 'bout PDQ instead? At least with PDQ you could color coordinate a bit -- or perhaps even redesign the main pages so they look more like PDQ if you valued the seamless thing that much. Had you (or are you) considered (considering) that? If not, why not? I ask because I'm interested in collecting as many opinions regarding PDQ as I can. I've got such mixed emotions about it.
    Gregg L. DesElms

PDQ seems ok. The modifications are minimal, and the fees they charge you for chargebacks are a bit on the agressive side (my opinion) for a service that processes the transactions. Suppose it is ok...

• Chicken

Originally posted by DesElms ...I thought you did the tan seamless thing about as well as anyone I had seen out there. I mean, I agree with you. But as tan, butt-ugly ovals go, I thought your site did 'em about as well as anyone could. I'm a little surprised you abandoned that. Butt-ugly tan or not, it was a decent, fully functional, easy-to-navigate site that seemed like it pretty much did what it was being paid to do... howsoever inelegantly.
    Thanks. I did spend quite a bit of time going for the seamless look. In the end, however, the ugliness just got to me.

Originally posted by DesElms How 'bout PDQ instead? ... I've got such mixed emotions about it.
    I too am thinking about PDQ. The two biggest upshots are of course more flexibility with the color scheme and the ability to offer clients the full eNom package (like Web Site Builder) But I have mixed feelings as well.

First, as ugly as registryrocket is, it's so simple that it actually (imho) clashes less with my current look than PDQ would.

Second, It costs a significant amount of money for what amounts to very little customizability. Sure, we can chage the colors and add a logo, big deal. The rocket lets you add a logo so the color scheme is the only real benefit to me. The text customization means nothing to me as I have my main site for that sort of content.

Third, I don't know if the ability to offer Web Site Builder would be worth the support issues I would incurr.

Perhaps if all I did was sell domains, PDQ would be "the ticket" but for my needs, I'm not sold just yet. I've asked for a test account to play around with it before I fork over the cash. We'll see what happens.
    Justin McMichael
    Tech Fidelity, LLC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast