VPS provider + location recommendation

Hi,
    I need a recommendation for a reliable VPS provider in the US. Not looking for a cheap one, budget is around 30-50 USD/mo. I'm expecting the host to have proper hardware firewall (saw on some posts that some vps providers only use software and as a result have serious downtimes on ddos attacks).

My knowledge is a bit limited so I could use some advise on the follwing: I'd like the site running on this VPS to have fast access times throughout the US. Would it be safe to assume that it would be wise to choose a data centre in TX (for example) rather than closer to either coast?

TIA for any replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Alt5 View Post
    Hi,
    I need a recommendation for a reliable VPS provider in the US. Not looking for a cheap one, budget is around 30-50 USD/mo. I'm expecting the host to have proper hardware firewall (saw on some posts that some vps providers only use software and as a result have serious downtimes on ddos attacks).

My knowledge is a bit limited so I could use some advise on the follwing: I'd like the site running on this VPS to have fast access times throughout the US. Would it be safe to assume that it would be wise to choose a data centre in TX (for example) rather than closer to either coast?

TIA for any replies.
    $30 - $50 for what? How much RAM, disk space, and bandwidth? Texas will give the best overall connection to the US, and decent connection to the UK. Do you need management?
    SiFuQi.net - Affordable Dedicated Servers in Los Angeles, California
    24x7 Support • Enterprise Grade Hardware • Automated OS Reinstalls
    Check out our reseller program, with a unique two-tiered discount.

Quote Originally Posted by EndServer View Post
    $30 - $50 for what? How much RAM, disk space, and bandwidth? Texas will give the best overall connection to the US, and decent connection to the UK. Do you need management?
    thanks for replying EndServer

Yes the VPS has to be managed, forgot to mention that.

As for the resources, my current needs are pretty limited for the time being and I could probably do with very little disk space and monthly bandwidth. So let's just go with $30 - $50 for an 'average' plan.

As for the resources, my current needs are pretty limited for the time being and I could probably do with very little disk space and monthly bandwidth. So let's just go with $30 - $50 for an 'average' plan.
    For premium providers you'll generally spend $40 - $50 for 1GB of dedicated RAM.

Let's address your VPS location. Where are the three places that you receive the most visitors from?

Take a look at rivalhost.com
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

Quote Originally Posted by EndServer View Post
    For premium providers you'll generally spend $40 - $50 for 1GB of dedicated RAM.

Let's address your VPS location. Where are the three places that you receive the most visitors from?
    There are no visitors yet, the site doesn't even exist. We have a pilot version that we are ready to start running. The site relies on swf files and we want these to be downloaded quickly so the end user waits at little time possible.

We are expecting visitors from all over the states, I can only assume that there will be a lot of users from both coasts.

There are no visitors yet, the site doesn't even exist. We have a pilot version that we are ready to start running. The site relies on swf files and we want these to be downloaded quickly so the end user waits at little time possible.

We are expecting visitors from all over the states, I can only assume that there will be a lot of users from both coasts.
    Okay, so central USA will be best. You'll have great connection to west coast, central, and east coast US.

Well, since you don't know anything about bandwidth. I'm going to recommend you start out with 512 MB of dedicated RAM, as that should be fine to start with. Do you need cPanel and backups? So far we have...

512 MB of RAM minimum
    10 GB of disk space minimum
    200 GB of bandwidth minimum? (Should be enough to start out with)
    Managed

If you are only going to host the single website, I would think that even a 512MB RAM plan would be more than enough memory. I have run 3 Wordpress sites, one a fairly resource intensive "auto blogging" site, on a Burst.net 512MB VPS with a 1000MHz processor share. All three sites worked fine. (You may even be able to go lower, but in the managed VPS market, most of the time 512MB is the smallest plan).

I have "worked on" managed VPS from KnownHost and JaguarPC, and currently have a VPS at MDDHosting.com. All three are good providers, but my nod would go to MDDHosting.com (a bit above your price range, as they start with a 1 GB plan), then KnownHost and last JaguarPC (but still recommended; they use a virtualization software I don't like, but they would be absolutely fine for a single site VPS). In all three cases, the support was good, with reasonable response times.

With a single site on the VPS there is another option; find a reliable un-managed VPS provider and hire a management company when needed. This would be an option if you don't want to do anything with the VPS. The initial cost is likely to be something like $80 for set up and securing your VPS, then installing your initial site. You might then have to re-hire them periodically, once or twice a year, at $50 to $80. Getting an un-managed 512MB VPS from Burst.net is about $6 a month. With a $25 per month savings, you can make this work.

Some providers also offer semi-managed and "single site" VPS, using something like the Burst.net servers and then providing the management services for a total cost of about $10 a month. When you look at those, they have simply amortized the management cost over the 12 month period, but you have the advantage of having them on call all the time.

Endserver: Yes, I will need cpanel. I can manage without backups but it would be nice to have that too.

Fshagan: Thanks for bringing up the management company option. It's an interesting approach, but after giving it a little thought I think i would rather stick with the traditional fully managed approach even if costs a bit more. Involving another party will surely require more time from me coordinating management tasks and my place is kind of full at the moment. I'd rather pay a little extra and have less to handle.

You might want to consider using a CDN as well given how worried you are about users downloading the SWF quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by tchen View Post
    You might want to consider using a CDN as well given how worried you are about users downloading the SWF quickly.
    Good CDNs can be very expensive if you want to use more than 1TB of bandwdith every month or two.

At this point (pilot stage testing) we won't be using a CDN (how much is 'very expensive' btw?) but later on if we decide we need one we'll get one

At this point (pilot stage testing) we won't be using a CDN (how much is 'very expensive' btw?) but later on if we decide we need one we'll get one
    For a good CDN you'll be paying $100/TB of bandwidth - $150/TB of bandwidth.

Hello there,

Texas is a probably a good location for general overall performance to the US on the whole. Actually quite central to the "Americas" in general, so, a popular location for many hosting providers.

having said this, what sort of management are you expecting for $30-$50? if its "Reactive" type of management and support - then sure, you will be able to find this. If you are looking for real proactive type of management, you will not find this for that price range
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Ok, thanks for this info EndServer.

Any more suggestions on hosts? i was hoping that I would get numerous recommendations on a host or two..

Andrew: Just the basic stuff, I can cover most things that can be done via cpanel/whm

Any other recommendations guys??

Endserver: Yes, I will need cpanel. I can manage without backups but it would be nice to have that too.

Fshagan: Thanks for bringing up the management company option. It's an interesting approach, but after giving it a little thought I think i would rather stick with the traditional fully managed approach even if costs a bit more. Involving another party will surely require more time from me coordinating management tasks and my place is kind of full at the moment. I'd rather pay a little extra and have less to handle.
    Probably a good choice, and the way I have gone as well. For me, the convenience is worth the small amount of extra cost.

Backups are often included with a managed VPS; I know they are at MDDHosting, JaguarPC and KnownHost that I mentioned earlier. The backups vary in features, though. At MDDHosting, there are 28 days worth of backups. I think the other two have a daily, then a weekly.

You can get Texas VPS , and the budget looks good too.I would suggest Managed services,make sure you do you r research and find provider with top-notch tech support also.
    SCOTT CORBIN http://www.zipservers.com/
    Managed Hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Servers
    "Award Winning Hosting" TOLL FREE: 1-800-560-3450
    DATA CENTERS : Dallas, Seattle, Washington, D.C., and London, UK.

Look at Knownhost. Fully managed VPS service in Texas with a great reputation in the hosting community right in your price range.

Sorry about the delay! I have no experience with any central US managed providers. If you look around, though, Known Host has a great reputation around here.

Are you looking to sign up with a Reseller? I would go with an actual provider for tech support/management reasons.
    SCOTT CORBIN http://www.zipservers.com/
    Managed Hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Servers
    "Award Winning Hosting" TOLL FREE: 1-800-560-3450
    DATA CENTERS : Dallas, Seattle, Washington, D.C., and London, UK.

I'd like to draw your attention to happy-hosting VPS deals.
    They are located in US and provide full-featured deals.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I decided to try Known Host. Will post an update in a few weeks to inform about my experience with them.

PM Sent. Please check your inbox .
    Akbar | CEO
    CV. NICOSOFT MEDIA TRANSFORMATIKA - Shared & Reseller Hosting | Mail Hosting | VPS | Cloud Server | Dedicated Server | Software & Hardware Retail | IT Consultant
    Phone: +62-888-0999-NICO / +62-819-87-NICO at (+7 GMT)