* CDN and VPS Location

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question, if I am using a CDN service for my VPS, do it mean I don't have to worry about my VPS location anymore?

I am based in Australia, and I going to take a VPS in US. Due to the distance from US to Australia, the speed from my vps to my client will be slow down. If I add Edgecast CDN, do it mean i have no worry about the VPS location anymore? Because in my knowledge the CDN service will keep my site cache into their node in my country.

Am i right or Wrong?

Thanks

Regards,
    Adrian

Your theory is correct

But be sure to have a conversation with Edgecast first to see what locations they have and ensure its full caching not just text only or stn like that.
    -> INCEPTION HOSTING LIMITED Since 2010!
    -> I am most active on the lowendspirit hosting forum Come join us!
    -> PHOENIX USA & THE NETHERLANDS & UK EU

Quote Originally Posted by backtogeek View Post
    Your theory is correct

But be sure to have a conversation with Edgecast first to see what locations they have and ensure its full caching not just text only or stn like that.
    Thanks Backtogreek.

Then i have another question follow up.

If i am using CDN service, do it still necessary for me to take a Cloud VPS?
    In my knowledge, if CDN have give a full cache for my website, then it will also keep it always online although my vps is down plus it also provide the fast speed that cloud will give.

Am i Right or Wrong?

Beside reliability and fast processing speed, what cloud VPS difference from normal VPS?

Thanks

Regards,
    Adrian

You can play it either way to be honest, cloud will give you a bit more confidence as far as uptime goes etc (or at least it should) however I would suggest as you are using a CDN with full caching then cloud is not required at all but its up to you really.

In my own personal experience of cloud VPS vs. a Xen VPS the XEN VPS will out perform it by a significant amount.
    -> INCEPTION HOSTING LIMITED Since 2010!
    -> I am most active on the lowendspirit hosting forum Come join us!
    -> PHOENIX USA & THE NETHERLANDS & UK EU

Firstly, CDN is only cache your static files, such as images, videos and/or any static content. It does not cache all your webfiles or database to your CDN servers.

With CDN, your visitors who are out of USA will enjoy faster site loading at images, videos and/or static content only. For the example, Facebook is applying CDN for the image loading. You can see it when you are loading your photos.

Secondly, cloud VPS is the technology where your files and databases are duplicated to cloud servers. The benefits of having this technology are:-
    (i) being treated as backup server for your website;
    (ii) minimize website downtime;
    (iii) able to custom-made your server resources, pay what you use;
    (iv) flexible.

Decide what you really what and what is your website content. For budget wise, CDN is cheaper than cloud VPS.
    ******** Network - The Hosting Provider since 2001
    Business Hosting Plan for the SOHO, Personal Blog, and any moderate traffic site
    Dedicated Server to host your huge traffic site, HDD redundant, R1Soft daily Backup

You shouldn't need a Cloud VPS for a CDN service, no.

Note a Cloud VPS isn't necessarily distributed location-wise like a CDN is, a "Cloud" can be in a single building.
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzadar View Post
    You shouldn't need a Cloud VPS for a CDN service, no.

Note a Cloud VPS isn't necessarily distributed location-wise like a CDN is, a "Cloud" can be in a single building.
    I mean "Do I need a Cloud VPS if i already have a CDN service?"

Because I am Australia based so I need something to boost up my speed from my US VPS to Australia client.

Now i have to decided whether to take a cloud vps or xen vps. If i already have EdgeCast CDN service, do i still need a cloud platform as it have provide some of the similar feature.