* Domain don't propagate after downtime

Hi,

I have a question. Does it normal for domain don't propagate after sudden downtime? Yesterday my website is suddenly unaccessible and it turns out my vps is having a problem. So open ticket and the tech there reboot my node. After that my website is online again except I can't resolve my domain to browse my website. I can use my IP though to browse my website.

Now it has been 20 hours and my domain still don't resolve to IP. I use my own nameserver btw. I started to wondering if this thing is normal... :/ Checkout my dig reply:

Code:
    $ dig cheapantivirus.me

; <<>> DiG 9.7.0-P1 <<>> cheapantivirus.me
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 16590
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;cheapantivirus.me. IN A

;; Query time: 82 msec
    ;; SERVER: 184.22.119.114#53(184.22.119.114)
    ;; WHEN: Sun Aug 28 01:08:02 2011
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 35
    My domain is not pointing to my nameserver (ns1.cheapantivirus.me) and it stop at hostnoc IP 184.22.119.114 - qualityservers.co.uk is my provider. My SOA is all ok.
    Any idea? I just wondering how a 1 hour downtime could stop domain name from resolving because I set the TTL for 1 day.

Any help is appreciated. Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by sg552 View Post
    Hi,

I have a question. Does it normal for domain don't propagate after sudden downtime? Yesterday my website is suddenly unaccessible and it turns out my vps is having a problem. So open ticket and the tech there reboot my node. After that my website is online again except I can't resolve my domain to browse my website. I can use my IP though to browse my website.

Now it has been 20 hours and my domain still don't resolve to IP. I use my own nameserver btw. I started to wondering if this thing is normal... :/ Checkout my dig reply:

Code:
    $ dig cheapantivirus.me

; <<>> DiG 9.7.0-P1 <<>> cheapantivirus.me
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 16590
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;cheapantivirus.me. IN A

;; Query time: 82 msec
    ;; SERVER: 184.22.119.114#53(184.22.119.114)
    ;; WHEN: Sun Aug 28 01:08:02 2011
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 35
    My domain is not pointing to my nameserver (ns1.cheapantivirus.me) and it stop at hostnoc IP 184.22.119.114 - qualityservers.co.uk is my provider. My SOA is all ok.
    Any idea? I just wondering how a 1 hour downtime could stop domain name from resolving because I set the TTL for 1 day.

Any help is appreciated. Thankyou

Category Status Test name Information send feedback
    Parent Info Domain NS records Nameserver records returned by the parent servers are:

ns1.cheapantivirus.me. ['64.191.80.201'] [TTL=86400]
    ns2.cheapantivirus.me. ['64.191.80.201'] [TTL=86400]

a0.cctld.afilias-nst.info was kind enough to give us that information.
    Pass TLD Parent Check Good. a0.cctld.afilias-nst.info, the parent server I interrogated, has information for your TLD. This is a good thing as there are some other domain extensions like "co.us" for example that are missing a direct check.
    Pass Your nameservers are listed Good. The parent server a0.cctld.afilias-nst.info has your nameservers listed. This is a must if you want to be found as anyone that does not know your DNS servers will first ask the parent nameservers.
    Pass DNS Parent sent Glue Good. The parent nameserver sent GLUE, meaning he sent your nameservers as well as the IPs of your nameservers. Glue records are A records that are associated with NS records to provide "bootstrapping" information to the nameserver.(see RFC 1912 section 2.3)
    Pass Nameservers A records Good. Every nameserver listed has A records. This is a must if you want to be found.
    NS Info NS records from your nameservers NS records got from your nameservers listed at the parent NS are:
    Oups! I could not get any nameservers from your nameservers (the ones listed at the parent server). Please verify that they are not lame nameservers and are configured properly.

Pass Recursive Queries Good. Your nameservers (the ones reported by the parent server) do not report that they allow recursive queries for anyone.
    Pass Same Glue Hmm,I do not consider this to be an error yet, since I did not detect any nameservers at your nameservers.
    Pass Glue for NS records OK. Your nameservers (the ones reported by the parent server) have no ideea who your nameservers are so this will be a pass since you already have a lot of errors!
    Error Mismatched NS records WARNING: One or more of your nameservers did not return any of your NS records.
    Error DNS servers responded ERROR: One or more of your nameservers did not respond:
    The ones that did not responded are:
    Pass Name of nameservers are valid OK. The nameservers reported by the parent send out nothing as shown above. I can't check nothing so it's a green!
    Error Multiple Nameservers ERROR: Looks like you have less than 2 nameservers. According to RFC2182 section 5 you must have at least 3 nameservers, and no more than 7. Having 2 nameservers is also ok by me.
    Pass Nameservers are lame OK. All the nameservers listed at the parent servers answer authoritatively for your domain.
    Pass Missing nameservers reported by parent OK. All NS records are the same at the parent and at your nameservers.
    Error Missing nameservers reported by your nameservers You should already know that your NS records at your nameservers are missing, so here it is again:

ns1.cheapantivirus.me.
    ns2.cheapantivirus.me.

Pass Domain CNAMEs OK. RFC1912 2.4 and RFC2181 10.3 state that there should be no CNAMEs if an NS (or any other) record is present.
    Pass NSs CNAME check OK. RFC1912 2.4 and RFC2181 10.3 state that there should be no CNAMEs if an NS (or any other) record is present.
    Pass Different subnets OK. Looks like you have nameservers on different subnets!
    Pass IPs of nameservers are public Ok. Looks like the IP addresses of your nameservers are public. This is a good thing because it will prevent DNS delays and other problems like
    Pass DNS servers allow TCP connection OK. Seems all your DNS servers allow TCP connections. This is a good thing and useful even if UDP connections are used by default.
    Pass Different autonomous systems OK. It seems you are safe from a single point of failure. You must be careful about this and try to have nameservers on different locations as it can prevent a lot of problems if one nameserver goes down.
    Pass Stealth NS records sent Ok. No stealth ns records are sent
    SOA Error SOA record No valid SOA record came back!
    MX Error MX Records Oh well, I did not detect any MX records so you probably don't have any and if you know you should have then they may be missing at your nameservers!
    WWW Error WWW A Record ERROR: I could not get any A records for www.cheapantivirus.me!

(I only do a cache request, if you recently added a WWW A record, it might not show up here.)

Source http://intodns.com/cheapantivirus.me
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

I upload 2 file from my vps DNS panel and from namecheap panel if that could be any help

Thank for your reply.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COWNY.png   Untitled.png  

I upload 2 file from my vps DNS panel and from namecheap panel if that could be any help

Thank for your reply.
    The problem is at your domain registrar, not your DNS server. Go to your domain registrar and set your DNS to the new IP address.

@ajonate I already did that. Like I said above, I can browse normally using domain name before. Only after downtime the domain does not resolving. Anyway check the namecheap NS regstration below:

Please any idea Thanks for trying though
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.png  

@ajonate I already did that. Like I said above, I can browse normally using domain name before. Only after downtime the domain does not resolving. Anyway check the namecheap NS regstration below:

Please any idea Thanks for trying though
    That's correct, you have them set at 64.191.80.201. Don't you need them to be 184.22.119.114?

There is no DNS server running at 64.191.80.201.

Sorry, I got in a hurry. I understand now. You want traffic to go to 64.191.80.201. The problem is that your DNS server isn't running. Did you try to restart it?

I did a little trick to spoof your DNS server locally with my hosts file, and was able to verify that your webserver was up. Here is what I got when I tried to go to your web page.

It works! lol

This is the default web page for this server.

The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet.

Your nameservers ( ns1.cheapantivirus.me & ns2.cheapantivirus.me ) aren't working, this is the reason why the domain doesn't resolve.

Code:
    root@trout:~# host ns1.cheapantivirus.me 
    Host ns1.cheapantivirus.me not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
    root@trout:~# host ns2.cheapantivirus.me
    Host ns2.cheapantivirus.me not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
    root@trout:~#
    If you are not running nameservers use the default namecheap nameservers and just point the domain/subdomains to your webserver.
    Best Regards / Melhores Cumprimentos,
    Bernardo Andrade
    Need a system Administrator?Contact me at email@bernardoa.pt
    Visit me at www.bernardoa.pt

Quote Originally Posted by ajonate View Post
    Sorry, I got in a hurry. I understand now. You want traffic to go to 64.191.80.201. The problem is that your DNS server isn't running. Did you try to restart it?

I did a little trick to spoof your DNS server locally with my hosts file, and was able to verify that your webserver was up. Here is what I got when I tried to go to your web page.

It works! lol

This is the default web page for this server.

The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet.
    Alhamdulillah. THATS IT. THATS THE CULPRIT! I restart my dns daemon and 10 sec latter it works! Thank you very much ajonate.

My problem is solved. Thank you to everyone that trying to help me.
    Last edited by sg552; 08-28-2011 at 01:46 AM.

Alhamdulillah. THATS IT. THATS THE CULPRIT! I restart my dns daemon and 10 sec latter it works! Thank you very much ajonate.

My problem is solved. Thank you to everyone that trying to help me.
    Sounds like the DNS service isn't set to start automatically on boot. What operating system are you running, and what DNS server?

If you are running BIND on a RHEL-based system (RHEL/Fedora/CentOS), the command would be:

Code:
    sudo chkconfig named on
    To confirm, run:

Code:
    chkconfig --list | grep named
    You should see "3: on" in the output.

If you are running a different OS or DNS server, please let us know. Someone will be able to give you the correct commands to set the DNS service to start automatically on boot, so if your VPS or the node is rebooted, things will start working as soon as it finishes booting.