hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Software and Control Panels : do you recommend which forum script for php/mysql ?

Forum Jump

do you recommend which forum script for php/mysql ?

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Software and Control Panels Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Web Hosting Master

do you recommend which forum script for php/mysql ?

Hi,

i know many commerical website use vBulletin,like WHT,

many years ago,i ever use phpbb,but it had some security issue do i gave it up.

i want to choose a reliable and flexible php/mysql script.

do you have any experience with any forum scripts ?

thanx

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Web Hosting Master

There are three popular open source forum scripts:
http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts...ategory=Forums
phpBB, SMF and myBB. I believe their popularity is in that order. You can check out demos of them from the link above. phpBB is the tried and true option for many, never really liked it much personally but it does have a lot of nice templates and people are often familiar with it. SMF has a good community behind it and is easily extendible, but the templates/look/feel of the forum have always been subpar. MyBB steals a lot of the unique features of the paid boards and puts it in their package.

Popular paid forum scripts are vBulletin and Invision Power Board. They all have their niches and things about them that they excel at. Generally the two paid options can do everything the open source ones can do and then some. You really need to come up with a list of features you want and determine what kind of forum/community you expect to have. IPB has moved forward with a some pretty good CMS and community features. They seem to be on an upward spiral in terms of features and advancements they are making on other paid options. vBulletin has some pretty outstanding features such as VBSEO (expensive), but the product is growing stale after their buyout. And as always, make sure forum scripts are up to date with the latest security releases.

Last edited by JaJae; 08-27-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttgt View Post
Hi,

thanx
Did you try phpbb3 recently? i would suggest phpbb3 / if you use joomla based websites use Kunena forums

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by domain_co_in View Post
Did you try phpbb3 recently? i would suggest phpbb3 / if you use joomla based websites use Kunena forums
no,i used phpbb lonf time ago,i think it was not the new v3.i will try to install it some days later.thanx

Old 08-27-2011, 10:47 AM
WHT Addict

vBulleting is too advanced to not consider it. The best forum script ever. The security patches are releasing every month, so I do not think that you would have any problems with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttgt View Post
Hi,

i know many commerical website use vBulletin,like WHT,

i want to choose a reliable and flexible php/mysql script.

do you have any experience with any forum scripts ?

thanx

Old 08-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Web Hosting Master

i had the vBulletin license,but i feel it is too professional feeling.im looking a feature.i hope i can build a forum,and other people can signup their own sub-forum with my forum,please note,their sub-forums are still under my forum,not create new forum,they can edit their own threads and posts,of course,the features include some management feature.do you know any forum script or addon can do it ? thanx