Thread: VPS Os?

VPS Os?

I am thinking about getting a VPS hosting from alienvps, and I've never ran a VPS hosting account, just shared..so limited experience.

I clicked VPS - OpenVZ (Las Vegas) - UFO 4 as a plan and noticed that it says operating system and lets me choose from 16 diff operating systems, I don't know which one too choose. Also I did a little search on cent os and I think it comes with cpanel..but on alienvps in order to have cpanel you have to pay $10 a month, or directadmin for $9 a month So I don't get it..

I'm planning to run a video sharing site.

Well Cpanel with CentOS is always a better combination to run a VPS . Since you are with limited experience and looking to run a video sharing site , my suggestion will be to go with Fully Managed Cpanel VPS. This option will suite you properly.
    || 24x7CloudServerManagement | Server Management & Technical Support ||
    || Hosting Infrastructure & Customer Service Mangement 24x7 | Cpanel Server Management ||
    || https://www.24x7cloudservermanagement.com ||

cPanel does not come with any operating system. It is a separate piece of software which you need to pay a license for.

I don't think vpsalien has a "Fully managed cpanel VPS" correct me if I'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by lokkom View Post
    I don't think vpsalien has a "Fully managed cpanel VPS" correct me if I'm wrong
    We do have fully managed cPanel VPSes with our Managed services addon.
    AlienLayer - AlienVPS.com / UFOHost.net / AlienRack.com
    Web HostingReseller HostingVPS HostingDedicated Servers
    Follow Us @alienlayer on twitter

CentOS is the best option for you. In Hundred's of VPSes we are using it without any issue.

Quote Originally Posted by PepperAdmin View Post
    CentOS is the best option for you. In Hundred's of VPSes we are using it without any issue.
    I agree. CentOS is my preferred choice for servers. There is nothing wrong with other Linux distributions designed for servers (Debian, for example), I am just more familiar with the Red Hat based distributions.