hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : Advice on hosting...Web/TS3/Openfire

Forum Jump

Advice on hosting...Web/TS3/Openfire

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

Advice on hosting...Web/TS3/Openfire

Hello,

To start...I'm on a budget of roughly $50 - $90 right now.

I am wanting to make the jump from a basic web host to a dedicated server. I want to host my websites (mainly php forum/wiki type stuff...nothing video, maybe 1 flash site for a web openfire client), host a TS3 server (average user count is roughly 5-10...we'll say a planned max of 50 - 75 someday) and an openfire (jabber) server.

I have found this at FDC Servers for $50 after putting DirectAdmin on as the CP.

Dual Core ATOM, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD

The bandwith is unmetered, which is what attracted me to them initially. Figuring I can get by on a 10 Mbps connection and later sometime maybe upgrade to the 100 Mbps.

But I started doing research on the ATOM processor's, and now I'm not so sure it will work for me.

So will this work for what I intend to do?

If not, can someone recommend a host to check out? Bandwith of course being a big deal since I'll be doing a VoIP server on it.

Sponsored Links
Old
Not so experienced

Do you have any idea of how much bandwidth you currently use a month? Most hosts nowadays offer 5 or 10TB bandwidth standard with servers (on a 100mbit port) along with unmetered inbound/download.

Also remember that (unmetered) 10mbit is only around 3TB and 1.2MB/s.

Atom's are cheap and overall nice, however they don't offer too much CPU power. Provided you don't need to run too much CPU intensive software, it should do you fine.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

If you go for higher margin for your budget ie $90. You should be able to find a Dual Core AMD or C2D box with 2-4GB RAM and some 500GB HDD!
Just check out the offer section.
Alternatively, you can get a 2Gb VPS from a decent provider which will probably faster than Atom Server for $50 !
Regards !

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0$T View Post
Alternatively, you can get a 2Gb VPS from a decent provider which will probably faster than Atom Server for $50 !
for $50-$90 range I agree

you might also find that a VPS is much easier to upgrade also.
with a linux box and a full VPS control panel it should take less than 5 minutes to upgrade a server.
perhaps you can start cheap and move up when you find the need

Old
Web Hosting Master

Hi PyroTech,

Welcome to WHT!

I have to agree - for the kind of budget you are looking at; research a VPS instead. You will get the same horsepower as an ATOM and be upgradable. Likely also be fully managed and include a control panel like cPanel/WHM or Plesk.

Let us know how you make out!

||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog