LeaseWeb - bandwidth measurement issue

I've had a VPS from LeaseWeb since March. Everything was very good (high I/O performance, low ping, >99% uptime) until this week. According to LeaseWeb's datagraph I used 1000 GB of bandwidth on 2011-08-22:
    http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/1082/graphuk.png

This is definitely not true as I'm not hosting any large files or bandwidth-intensive services on the VPS. Linux confirms it: my actual bandwidth usage in the last 47 days is 73.4 GB (43.9 GB + 29.5 GB).

Code:
    $ uptime
     20:02:41 up 47 days, 23:15,  1 user,  load average: 0.18, 0.17, 0.13
    $ ifconfig
              RX bytes:47169170260 (43.9 GiB)  TX bytes:31678270283 (29.5 GiB)
    Because their bandwidth is ultra-expensive, I will never be able to pay for this "overage". They will probably send it to a debt collection agency that will destroy my life, despite the fact I've done nothing wrong.

Before this, I have never experienced a situation where a server provider (or their automated system) wrongly accuses me of using insane amounts of bandwidth.

have you actually contacted their support/asked about a bug as opposed ot immediately running to wht

Yes, I created a ticket 20 hours ago. Still no response.

Is it 95th percentile?

Traffic billing on a standard (not volume) network where 1 GB costs €1.

Incoming DOS attack maybe?

Hi,

Most of VPS control panels has own glitches with traffic counting so just wait for support reply and discuss about this issue.
    TK Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR

It definitely looks like a measurement error, especially since it is exactly 1000GB and your ifconfig output shows completely different data.
    Hopefully, Leaseweb responds to your ticket and resolves this for you.

I'm sure they'll be able to sort it with you, especially when you have Linux telling you the actual amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuraid View Post
    It definitely looks like a measurement error, especially since it is exactly 1000GB and your ifconfig output shows completely different data.
    Hopefully, Leaseweb responds to your ticket and resolves this for you.
    I have not seen many servers where the bandwidth used on the panel and the actual servers reports to match up. Because of this, I had to take my high traffic sites off of the leaseweb network because I could not trust them to measure accurately and I would rather not be hit with a fake hundred or more dollar fee.

Other then that though they are an excellent price and fit for most sites.

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    have you actually contacted their support/asked about a bug as opposed ot immediately running to wht
    This is laugh out loud funny.

I think of this, more times than not, when I view some WHT threads.

Quote Originally Posted by michkol View Post
    Traffic billing on a standard (not volume) network where 1 GB costs €1.
    That's why scum companies don't suspend "VIRTUAL" servers for BW overage limit, just to suck out some dirty money.

This is pure rip off judging only by the price and since you have proof that this wasn't your fault no court will force you to pay for it.

Don't even worry about it!!!
    How can you factor in VAT when comparing since you are subject to VAT on everything? Obviously purchases made outside the EU are not going to be collected with VAT, but are you not still responsible to pay it on your own? - Tim Flavin from "Hostigation.com"

Try give them a call, They have some very rock solid people there that usually would help you out if something was done under none fair fashion.

I'm 99% sure that's a bug. Munin shows similar behavior when the system has restarted, the interface will show a burst of multiple petabytes of bandwidth transferred.

Contact their support, you shouldn't have to pay this if you legitimately didn't use the bandwidth.
    |███| SSD Nodes
    |███| Build more for far less with the best value in cloud hosting.
    |███| RAID 10 SSDs | 10Gbps NICs | Tier-1 backbone | Scale without downtime | 9 years in business
    |███| https://www.ssdnodes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kurikami View Post
    That's why scum companies don't suspend "VIRTUAL" servers for BW overage limit, just to suck out some dirty money.

This is pure rip off judging only by the price and since you have proof that this wasn't your fault no court will force you to pay for it.

Don't even worry about it!!!
    Leaseweb is definitly not just 'scaming' they are one of the oldest providers around.

--

I'm sure Leaseweb will fix your issue contact their support, keep in mind that if its a billing department issue you will most likely have to wait till tomorrow since it works on the normal hours.
    Best Regards / Melhores Cumprimentos,
    Bernardo Andrade
    Need a system Administrator?Contact me at email@bernardoa.pt
    Visit me at www.bernardoa.pt

Quote Originally Posted by Bernardoo View Post
    Leaseweb is definitly not just 'scaming' they are one of the oldest providers around.

--

I'm sure Leaseweb will fix your issue contact their support, keep in mind that if its a billing department issue you will most likely have to wait till tomorrow since it works on the normal hours.
    It would be best to wait for support but from what I have seen, LeaseWeb isn't one to negotiate reasonable pricing with miss reported bandwidth or real bandwidth overages.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernardoo View Post

--

I may not live in a English language country, but aren't the words "SCAM" and "SCUM" completely different?
    How can you factor in VAT when comparing since you are subject to VAT on everything? Obviously purchases made outside the EU are not going to be collected with VAT, but are you not still responsible to pay it on your own? - Tim Flavin from "Hostigation.com"

Yes, they are. And until both sides of the story have been told I don't think either of those words belong in this thread.

Hello,

LeaseWeb prides in our fair business approach. I will be happy to receive a PM with more info so I could take a look and check if there is a bug. Please note that this new datagraph feature for VPS has only launched recently as our recent communication indicated, it is possible that there is a bug. By no means will we charge you without confirming it is accurate.

However, if we do determine that the usage is accurate, you will be able to proactively upgrade your data pack before the next invoice and avoid a surcharge.

Leaseweb is top notch. I am sure there is some confusion from the O.P. as most providers would be willing to work with you if wrongfully billed. Most ISP's prefer to keep a rebilling client, not chase down new ones.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | 1500 CLASS-A/B/C | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING
    RESIDENTIAL IPS | 10G UNMETERED | IPV4 SOLUTION PROVIDER SINCE 2008

To follow up on this topic; I have sent you a reply in the ticket.

As mentioned in my prior reply, it seems that there is a bug with some of the VPS's data-graphs, our development team is working on a fix as we speak and we hope to have this resolved before the next invoice run.

Thank you very much for taking the time to report this bug which will now allow us to resolve it as quickly as possible.

Apologies for the scare, you will of course not be charged for this.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaseWeb View Post
    Hello,

LeaseWeb prides in our fair business approach. I will be happy to receive a PM with more info so I could take a look and check if there is a bug. Please note that this new datagraph feature for VPS has only launched recently as our recent communication indicated, it is possible that there is a bug. By no means will we charge you without confirming it is accurate.

However, if we do determine that the usage is accurate, you will be able to proactively upgrade your data pack before the next invoice and avoid a surcharge.

I think it was funny that some of you were automatically calling this a scam, and automatically asking have you contacted them don't you guys read the post before saying anything? It was mentioned he/she contacted them.

Quote Originally Posted by semoweb View Post
    It was mentioned he/she contacted them.
    It was mentioned only because people asked.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaseWeb View Post
    To follow up on this topic; I have sent you a reply in the ticket.
    I confirm that I have received your reply. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.