Virtualbox or VMware or VPS

Well, I see the actual Windows VPS are quite expensive so I was looking to buy some very stable Linux VPS from a very good provider and run Windows virtually on it.

I am basically thinking to get a 2GB ram linux server because I need at least 1.4 GB for my Windows machine for the softwares I use. So I wanted to know if doing Virtual Windows hosting on linux is a good idea and if it would consume under 512MB ram in hosting a virtual machine for me. Like it would be good if it uses lesser resources giving me good quality VPS. So what resources do Virtualbox or VMware use and which one is better?

Quote Originally Posted by AsadMoeen View Post
    Well, I see the actual Windows VPS are quite expensive so I was looking to buy some very stable Linux VPS from a very good provider and run Windows virtually on it.

I am basically thinking to get a 2GB ram linux server because I need at least 1.4 GB for my Windows machine for the softwares I use. So I wanted to know if doing Virtual Windows hosting on linux is a good idea and if it would consume under 512MB ram in hosting a virtual machine for me. Like it would be good if it uses lesser resources giving me good quality VPS. So what resources do Virtualbox or VMware use and which one is better?
    Lots of folks have published papers about running what's called VMWare-in-VMWare or ESXi-in-ESXi. In this case it sounds like you want to do VMWare-Server-in-ESXi or in-VirtualBox. I think that would work reasonably well on VMWare though I don't have any personal experience with virtualbox.

Please post back when you do the test and tell us how it worked. This is one of the most interesting use cases of cloud computing that I've seen (the concept of virtualizing a virtualized system). This is the first time I've seen windows-in-linux-in-esxi mentioned too. Please post back results!

Best,
    Dave

Have you looked at BurstNet? They provide excellent service and are very cheap.
    SiFuQi.net - Affordable Dedicated Servers in Los Angeles, California
    24x7 Support • Enterprise Grade Hardware • Automated OS Reinstalls
    Check out our reseller program, with a unique two-tiered discount.

Quote Originally Posted by AsadMoeen View Post

any sane provider won't let you do this due to the impact on other clients if it would even work.

pretty sure windows requires hvm support too, and if you're virtualising the processor already in the linxu guest

The IO will be pretty bad, and there will be an incredible number of context switches that occur for even the most basic commands, but I'd be very interested in seeing the results. Please post back if you get this working.
    |███| SSD Nodes
    |███| Build more for far less with the best value in cloud hosting.
    |███| RAID 10 SSDs | 10Gbps NICs | Tier-1 backbone | Scale without downtime | 9 years in business
    |███| https://www.ssdnodes.com