Options for sending emails from VPS website

I run an asp.net poetry community/forum website that emails users when their poems receive comments (If they have this feature enabled). It’s a fairly active community. However, my VPS hosting provider puts a limit on how many emails can be sent from VPS servers they host. They only allow 100 emails per hour. I don’t know how many emails my website sends an hour, but I’m sure it more than 100. What options are there for sending emails from a VPS website? I don’t want to be constrained by this 100 email limit.
    I like to design and build websites, not admin servers. www.mpringle.com

How are they limiting the emails per hour? Is it through their own mail server or are they limiting the outgoing connections on port 25?

Quote Originally Posted by dmmcintyre3 View Post
    How are they limiting the emails per hour? Is it through their own mail server or are they limiting the outgoing connections on port 25?
    Not sure, I'm checking...

Quote Originally Posted by dmmcintyre3 View Post
    This is their response...

"All the mails from VPS is filtered through a SmartHost server. Smarthost setup is to prevent our network from being blacklisted for abuse. You are allowed to send mails from your server to the outer world
    and there is no prohibition for that. The only restriction is that all the mails need to routed through our SmartHost server which will scan all the messages for any viruses or abusive contents. This rule is applicable for all the VPSs and other hosting packages in our network.

The e-mail sending limits are as the following;

100 per hour
    100 recipients per email
    2000 emails per day per user
    5000 emails per day per domain"

You're going to have to switch providers. 100 emails per hour is a pitifully low limit for a VPS. Many shared hosting plans have higher limits.

Quote Originally Posted by WhichGunDotCom View Post
    You're going to have to switch providers. 100 emails per hour is a pitifully low limit for a VPS. Many shared hosting plans have higher limits.
    While I concede that it is low, his host is not the only one who throttles emails allowed per hour. This is actually fairly common, although the volume is typically higher allowed per hour, or day. If this is going to be an issue, you may want to ask your next web hosting company before signing up.

It is also a non-issue for most clients, as double opt-in, legal and compliant lists are typically smaller, and niche oriented.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | 1500 CLASS-A/B/C | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING
    RESIDENTIAL IPS | 10G UNMETERED | IPV4 SOLUTION PROVIDER SINCE 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Barefootsies View Post
    While I concede that it is low, his host is not the only one who throttles emails allowed per hour. This is actually fairly common, although the volume is typically higher allowed per hour, or day. If this is going to be an issue, you may want to ask your next web hosting company before signing up.
    Yes, I will DEFINITELY ask my next hosting provider. It wasn't an issue with my previous shared hosting provider. I may be stuck now since my 30 day refund policy date just passed...and I paid for a year in advance. I will NOT do that again with a new provider and will do my due diligence. Live and Learn.

That's unfortunate, but last I checked Gmail has similar limits where they only allow 2,000 messages to be sent daily, so it's not uncommon.
    |███| SSD Nodes
    |███| Build more for far less with the best value in cloud hosting.
    |███| RAID 10 SSDs | 10Gbps NICs | Tier-1 backbone | Scale without downtime | 9 years in business
    |███| https://www.ssdnodes.com

There are ways to get around it

Get a cheapo VPS that does not have such a silly limit and route your mail via a VPN tunnel possibly with some port switching.

Or you may get away with just having a separate mail server, they probably wont care as long as its not using one of their IP's as the originating source.
    -> INCEPTION HOSTING LIMITED Since 2010!
    -> I am most active on the lowendspirit hosting forum Come join us!
    -> PHOENIX USA & THE NETHERLANDS & UK EU

Quote Originally Posted by SSD Nodes View Post
    That's unfortunate, but last I checked Gmail has similar limits where they only allow 2,000 messages to be sent daily, so it's not uncommon.
    Don't forget that GMail is free. Google Apps should have a higher send limit, though.
    SiFuQi.net - Affordable Dedicated Servers in Los Angeles, California
    24x7 Support • Enterprise Grade Hardware • Automated OS Reinstalls
    Check out our reseller program, with a unique two-tiered discount.

Quote Originally Posted by backtogeek View Post
    There are ways to get around it

Get a cheapo VPS that does not have such a silly limit and route your mail via a VPN tunnel possibly with some port switching.

Or you may get away with just having a separate mail server, they probably wont care as long as its not using one of their IP's as the originating source.
    They wont let me use any smpt servers but theirs. I tried using other servers but somehow they block it. I do have a work around. I can iframe in the comments area from one of my other websites, and send emails from those servers, but thats a last resort.

I was thinking more along the lines of creating a VPN tunnel to another VPS and setting up LAN<->LAN IPs over the VPN have your remote VPS on e.g. 10.0.0.10 and set that up as your mail server all traffic will go across the encrypted VPN tunnel so they should not have any idea (or objections)

Its very late and I have not had enough caffeine so that requires a tad more thought but should be very possible with OpenVPN and some well constructed iptables on the other side.

Just trying to think of a way to make your annual purchase not sting as much, when I wake up tomorrow I will try to remember this and write a proper solution.

Obviously I don't condone circumventing your hosts AUP/TOS (if its not in there you probably have a case for a refund) but strictly speaking your not breaking the root cause reason for them implementing the restriction either, there is no way their IP would be blacklisted doing it this way.

And if none of that rambling made any sense, sorry tired+no coffee = stupid fingers take over and write rubbish.

I was thinking more along the lines of creating a VPN tunnel to another VPS and setting up LAN<->LAN IPs over the VPN have your remote VPS on e.g. 10.0.0.10 and set that up as your mail server all traffic will go across the encrypted VPN tunnel so they should not have any idea (or objections)

Its very late and I have not had enough caffeine so that requires a tad more thought but should be very possible with OpenVPN and some well constructed iptables on the other side.

Just trying to think of a way to make your annual purchase not sting as much, when I wake up tomorrow I will try to remember this and write a proper solution.

Obviously I don't condone circumventing your hosts AUP/TOS (if its not in there you probably have a case for a refund) but strictly speaking your not breaking the root cause reason for them implementing the restriction either, there is no way their IP would be blacklisted doing it this way.

And if none of that rambling made any sense, sorry tired+no coffee = stupid fingers take over and write rubbish.
    Too much work.

sailthru.com authsmtp.com

Buy a linux VPS, set up a mail server on a custom port (with SSL) and setup proper auth so the linux VPS is not a open relay.

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    Too much work.

sailthru.com authsmtp.com
    By the sounds of the problem neither of those are going to work, the OP has already tried using external email servers.

By the sounds of the problem neither of those are going to work, the OP has already tried using external email servers.
    I don't see where it says that..

Quote Originally Posted by markpringle View Post
    to prevent our network from being blacklisted for abuse
    The e-mail sending limits are as the following;
    100 per hour
    100 recipients per email
    2000 emails per day per user
    5000 emails per day per domain"
    This is what happens when IT people run a host without any consideration or understanding of the communication world. Those limits are absolutely ridiculous. Volume != spam. You stop spam by stopping spam. You don't stop spam by limiting volume on clients that have a verifiable need.

Switch to somebody else. (I'm curious who your host is.)
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by markpringle View Post
    They wont let me use any smpt servers but theirs. I tried using other servers but somehow they block it. I do have a work around. I can iframe in the comments area from one of my other websites, and send emails from those servers, but thats a last resort.
    Thats how I understood that