Thread: Future trend

Future trend

I am interested to know, but might not the answer, your opinion on conventional VPS evolution to cloud-based VPS.

Do you think we are in this trend now?

what is the big different in term of single server VPS compare to cloud based VPS?

what conventional VPS can't do like cloud and what cloud-based VPS can't do like conventional VPS?

Hope to get some idea here.

I think there is not much difference between Single server VPS and Cloud based VPS server

Quote Originally Posted by fireboltz View Post
    I think there is not much difference between Single server VPS and Cloud based VPS server
    Just interested what make you have such comment. Perhaps you showed us some comparison between both.

Hi

cloud is not really defined... to me

Cloud means that you can have a hardware failure, and service is not affected, also there is no Single Point of failure.

VPS just sits on a server, so if the server fails then so does your VPS.

Thats my interpretation of it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cloudserverhq View Post
    Just interested what make you have such comment. Perhaps you showed us some comparison between both.
    Why not do your own research? You seem to be on the cloud train so you must think it's the next great thing? This is one of the big issues I see with WHT, it's people that come on here expecting us to tell them if their plans are good (shameless self promo that seems allowed under the rules?), let them know what the market trends are, etc.

Cloud is an incomplete idea created by a bunch of marketers looking to 'change it up'. Before cloud it was 'grid hosting' it was pretty well the same bloody thing

Do you have a proper setup to actually make it remotely close to what 'cloud' is supposed to mean? Have you actually looked into any of the 'leaders in the cloud market' to see how well they handle themselves?

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Hi,

There are many different types of clouds.
    Cloud hosting will be more expensive then the traditional VPS.
    A cloud VPS compared to a traditional VPS is very different.
    The main advantage is that you can grow your VPS even bigger than a traditional server as your need grows.
    Webuzo - Multi user control panel supporting Apache, NGinx, MySQL, MariaDB, Percona, LiteSpeed, Varnish, WordPress, etc.
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 200+ OS Templates
    Softaculous - Auto Installer with 400+ scripts for Webuzo, cPanel, DirectAdmin, InterWorx, Plesk, etc.

As already mentioned, there's not a single definition of what cloud hosting is. But in my opinion the differences come down to something like this:

- A cloud VPS is less likely to go down because hardware-failures should be resolved automatically. So you are more 'stable'.
    - A cloud VPS is probably due to a better automated control-panel/billing-system easier to resize (upgrade/downgrade) or migrated to different hardware. In some cases even automatically ('elastic'). So you are more 'flexible'.

Apart from the above mentioned technical aspects it is more a mindset/marketing term. Developers can do what they want with it. The VPS itself isn't different on the inside. And certainly does not have to be more expensive (but it often is)...

That said you could think: is that it? No, the second part is the mindset. Cloud hosting comes with certain do's and dont's. Some examples:

- (i cant post links because this is my first post) search on YouTube for "What is Google Chrome OS". A nice little presentation about stateless devices and storing your stuff in "the cloud". Something similar is a netdisk at home that gets backuped in a datacenter and gives you the opportunity to access your files when you're traveling. If your house burns down you don't lose anything...

- A few years ago a lot of people tried to buy large servers and consolidate everything. Now with the cloud point of view we like to split things up. More small things tend to be more flexible than one thing that needs to grow on and on. So now we use a proxy with a automatically generated amount of servers behind that. If it gets busy, the cloud takes care of cloning the servers and putting them in the proxylist. When the load go's down you kill some instances. You only use what you need, when you need it (and only pay for that). Static content is put in a CDN (content delivery network).

All together it the mindset can be explained as a moving trend in how users and 'servers/providers' get smarter and technology gets better. This all put in a redundant cloud, smart control panels and a lot of new (partially finally grown up open source tech) makes the cloud what it is. But it keeps changing and it is also what you make of it.

Hope this gives you an idea...

Quote Originally Posted by alons View Post
    The main advantage is that you can grow your VPS even bigger than a traditional server as your need grows.
    No you can't, there is no viable multi-machine hypervisor to allow this yet, and without it, the cloud does not exist, it is just more marketing fluff for people who will pay more for technology they do not yet understand.
    Hostigation.com - High Resource Hosting
    WHM/cPanel Servers for Hosting and Dedicated Needs
    SolusVM VPS Hosting - Big Features, Small Prices
    Like us on Facebook or follow @hostigation on Twitter

@mitgib: thanks for pointing that out... i am getting tired of the fact that companies try to tell poeple that the cloud is a MEGA server. In contrary, it is not and should never be one big server. That is against the cloud philosophy.

But that it is only marketing-fluff... maybe you are right in a technical way because all these things are not new and were possible ten years ago. But the fact is that the changes as i described them do happen and we need a name for that. I think there isn't a better name than cloud/cloud hosting. Still it is confusing and companies try to sell old stuff under the new name without really innovating.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    This is one of the big issues I see with WHT, it's people that come on here expecting us to tell them if their plans are good (shameless self promo that seems allowed under the rules?), let them know what the market trends are, etc.
    Thanks for the valuable input but it seems that your comment is not a positive and friendly remark, but be professional, thanks anyway.

@rimote
    thanks for the explanation, it is fruitful to us.

Likely cloud setup is more to host who willing to spend or invest more on their infrastructure but not likely for small host. Cloud still at early stage to actually fully take over conventional dedicated server or VPS.