Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry VPSLatch downtime

Over the past 48-72 hours I've experienced downtime on VPSLatch at least 5 times for more than an hour, sometimes 5+ hours. I don't have any problem with their support but at this point it's getting kind of old. They've given me the same responses, saying that it was emergency maintenance, an error, or some kind of attack on the server. It used to be I could run Teamspeak + my IPB forums with like 2 or 3 server load but with Teamspeak running I consistently get 6-10 server load. Since then I've stopped running Teamspeak but the problem is just as bad, if not worse.
    They are able to bring it back online for a while but it inevitably goes offline again. My server load is less than 1 99% of the time, and all I'm running is mysql + lighttpd. I asked to be moved to a new node probably 2 or 3 times during the duration of the support tickets, but the request always goes ignored. What do you suggest I do about this? I've just opened another ticket, because, again, my server is offline.

I am having the exact same issue. Are you on Managed26?

I have requested a node move several times as well with no response. I am now going on 19 hours of downtime over the last 4 days... 12 hours being today alone!

If anyone from VPSLatch/Hostdime is here, these are my tickets:

You've had a great and stable service but this runaround is about to drive my business elsewhere. I have several other VPS accounts with other providers and have never had this kind of mess.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronsold View Post
    I am having the exact same issue. Are you on Managed26?

I have requested a node move several times as well with no response. I am now going on 19 hours of downtime over the last 4 days... 12 hours being today alone!

If anyone from VPSLatch/Hostdime is here, these are my tickets:

You've had a great and stable service but this runaround is about to drive my business elsewhere. I have several other VPS accounts with other providers and have never had this kind of mess.
    Yes, I'm on managed26. I take 12 hour backups so if there is data corruption of any kind I'll be fine, but this is still annoying. Support has at least been responsive and my service has been restored every time I've sent a ticket, but I really shouldn't have to send this many tickets in this short of time.

I agree completely. Luckily my site isn't well traveled over the weekend and is a lower priority than some of my others but with the stability they have had over the last 3-4 months I was planning on moving over some more mission-critical stuff. Given their response to this issue I don't think I will be doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_fortune View Post
    Over the past 48-72 hours I've experienced downtime on VPSLatch at least 5 times for more than an hour, sometimes 5+ hours. I don't have any problem with their support but at this point it's getting kind of old. They've given me the same responses, saying that it was emergency maintenance, an error, or some kind of attack on the server. It used to be I could run Teamspeak + my IPB forums with like 2 or 3 server load but with Teamspeak running I consistently get 6-10 server load. Since then I've stopped running Teamspeak but the problem is just as bad, if not worse.
    They are able to bring it back online for a while but it inevitably goes offline again. My server load is less than 1 99% of the time, and all I'm running is mysql + lighttpd. I asked to be moved to a new node probably 2 or 3 times during the duration of the support tickets, but the request always goes ignored. What do you suggest I do about this? I've just opened another ticket, because, again, my server is offline.
    I'm sure Dennis or Manny will get you moved to a different node, not sure as to why the request has been ignored how ever they really have a great team behind them and I'm sure they can get this permanently resolved.
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

Well I didn't want to bring this to the forum but when I read someone else who had the exact same issue and the exact same experience, it was clear that support just wasn't listening.

Does VPSLatch have an SLA? Can't seem to find it...

Well I didn't want to bring this to the forum but when I read someone else who had the exact same issue and the exact same experience, it was clear that support just wasn't listening.

On their homepage it's promised 99.9% uptime I think. IDK about an SLA though. My server is back online but I'm not even sure for how long.

Yes they do, http://www.vpslatch.net/sla.html
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

Hello,

I am looking into these issues now. Please await my updates. steve_fortune: Can you please post or PM me one of your ticket IDs?

Thank you,
    | Dennis Henry | HostDime | Premier Global Data Centers
    | www.hostdime.com/global | Global Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) Provider Since 2001
    | Managed Dedicated Servers | Global Colocation Facilities | Managed VPS | Managed Cloud Clusters
    | Data Centers in USA | Mexico | Brazil | UK | Hong Kong | India | Netherlands

Hello everyone,

On this issue, I am personally investigating the issues we have experienced on managed26 and I assure you, these will be resolved as promptly as possible. I will continue to investigate this and update this thread as necessary, as well as your individual tickets.

Thank you,
    | www.hostdime.com/global | Global Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) Provider Since 2001
    | Managed Dedicated Servers | Global Colocation Facilities | Managed VPS | Managed Cloud Clusters

I don't know which host I'm on, but I had 8 hours of downtime on Sunday. VPSLatch apparently didn't notice until I submitted a ticket (255363). It sounds like it affected the whole host because they said they rebooted the system and all VEs were restarting. I confused how this wasn't monitored.

David

Quote Originally Posted by davidss View Post
    I don't know which host I'm on, but I had 8 hours of downtime on Sunday. VPSLatch apparently didn't notice until I submitted a ticket (255363). It sounds like it affected the whole host because they said they rebooted the system and all VEs were restarting. I confused how this wasn't monitored.

David
    Hello David,

As you were informed via your ticket, your individual VE was down for 8 hours but the node itself was not. Also, as described in the ticket, we do monitor our nodes uptime closely and we ensured that the uptime issues was not related to the node itself. Also, again as described in your ticket, we had already noticed a separate issue on the node (unrelated to your VE being down) that caused it to require a reboot before you submitted your ticket, and it was not your ticket that alerted us to this issue.

In any case, please also note you are not on the same host as others in this thread (you are on vpscloud5, they are on managed26), and we will be assisting you further in your ticket regarding your issues.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by DimeNOC Dennis View Post
    Hello David,

As you were informed via your ticket, your individual VE was down for 8 hours but the node itself was not. Also, as described in the ticket, we do monitor our nodes uptime closely and we ensured that the uptime issues was not related to the node itself. Also, again as described in your ticket, we had already noticed a separate issue on the node (unrelated to your VE being down) that caused it to require a reboot before you submitted your ticket, and it was not your ticket that alerted us to this issue.

In any case, please also note you are not on the same host as others in this thread (you are on vpscloud5, they are on managed26), and we will be assisting you further in your ticket regarding your issues.

Thank you
    I appreciate the response. The words "server" and "node" in the ticket sometimes referred to the host and other times referred to the VE; your explanation makes more sense.

David

Quote Originally Posted by davidss View Post
    I appreciate the response. The words "server" and "node" in the ticket sometimes referred to the host and other times referred to the VE; your explanation makes more sense.

David
    Those can be used a bit interchangeably to the user's confusion so I completely understand! In the future, always feel free to ask for clarification of our techs and they'd be happy to provide it. I always use the words "node" and "VE" for this very reason as they lend themselves to less confusion.

In any case, our Client Relations department will be updating your ticket very soon (or may have already done so) regarding credits as per our SLA to your account.

Thank you,

Update: I am down again today another 5 hours so far. 24+ hours total in last 5 days.

Still no response to my requests to be moved to another node.

In case anyone cares to see it in black & white, here's my uptime report: https://www.wormly.com/site_uptime/hostid/23031
    Last edited by aaronsold; 08-22-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Update: I am down again today another 5 hours so far. 24+ hours total in last 5 days.

In case anyone cares to see it in black & white, here's my uptime report: https://www.wormly.com/site_uptime/hostid/23031
    That's actually pretty bad. I'm surprised to see that. Have you been able to 100% verify that it's an issue with the physical node hosting your VPS rather than an issue with the VPS itself? It seems unlikely that HostDime would allow for that sort of downtime on any given node without any action being taken to try and correct it permanently.
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Used to be a full time server administrator, now I help build cruise ships and inspect homes.
    My company, Ferrell Solutions, specializes in home inspections and property management.
    RecallScan is a service for monitoring appliances and vehicles in your home for recalls.

We are still actively working on this issue and as we let you know in your ticket, we are very much concerned and taking all matters into consideration, but migration a VE off this node without knowing what VE is causing the issue is not going to be beneficial at this time.

We will continue to update you as the situation progresses.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Matt R View Post
    That's actually pretty bad. I'm surprised to see that. Have you been able to 100% verify that it's an issue with the physical node hosting your VPS rather than an issue with the VPS itself? It seems unlikely that HostDime would allow for that sort of downtime on any given node without any action being taken to try and correct it permanently.
    There was apparently a DDOS attack against one of the VE's yesterday and it carried over to today as well. I am pretty surprised that I was forced to be a guinea pig for the last few days while they tried to track down and remove the problem.

My VPS did finally come back online a couple minutes ago.

There was apparently a DDOS attack against one of the VE's yesterday and it carried over to today as well. I am pretty surprised that I was forced to be a guinea pig for the last few days while they tried to track down and remove the problem.

My VPS did finally come back online a couple minutes ago.
    As I said in my previous response, we are not reating you as a "guinea pig" but we are doing our best to mitigate the attack and decipher who is the cause of the attack. By simply migrating user after user, we would not find the actual cause of the issue, and could even affect more users on a different node. We will resolve this issue and ensure that it does not occur again.

Thank you,

We sincerely apologize for any issues. Dennis and our team have been working on this vigorously. It is important to clarify somethings.

1. As Dennis mentioned above Moving a specific VPS from a node is unfortunately not the best long term solution. It isn't that we ignore your request or want you to be a "guinea pig" but simply we are trying to find the root VPS causing the issues. For all we know your specific VPS maybe the root issue without you knowing. This is why it is essential we find the vps causing the problems so it can be solved permanently and not ported over to another VPS node.

2. This specific issue is specific to a certain vps node. Not our service as a whole. We manage thousands of nodes and it is not un common that once a week one of the thousands of nodes does have an issue. It comes with the game in this industry unfortunately. It is our job to solve issues and it is the main reason behind our job responsibilities. IT is meant to fix broken things. I saw someone mention they were thinking about moving other vps to us but because of this issue now they are not. It is important to know the above to not judge on this incident. I do understand though how in the end it does effect your decision. We just ask you look at the whole picture.

4. All our servers are human monitored 24x7, truly the case. Our systems syanpse notices within milliseconds. Even though a client may contact us about a certain issue it is easy to think, oh they didn't even know. However this ist almost never the case as our NOC team isn't the same as level1 support. So you can be sure we know but do appreciate the contact

5. As Dennis mentioned This specific issue appears to be related to a certain vps on this node managed26 and it is giving us a battle in a half. It would happen and go away right away and giving no trace of evidence. We have done some high level of engineering to trace it now and we have a good feeling that this will get the culprit finally.

Hopefully these explanations will give some insight and guidance for everyone. The downtime is still unacceptable on any level and we will honor our SLA even though we are all victims in these situations. We realize we have a responsibility and obligation to all clients and it is the least we can do. We do genuinely care about every single issue big or small and how any company responds is the true indication of a responsible host. The best of us has issues.
    | Manny Vivar - manny.v@hostdime.com| HostDime | Premier Global Data Centers
    | www.hostdime.com/global | Global Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) Provider Since 2003
    | Managed Dedicated Servers | Global Colocation Facilities | Managed VPS | Managed Private Cloud
    | Data Centers in Florida, USA | Mexico | Brazil | UK | Hong Kong | India | Netherlands
    | Colombia |

To update this further, we have located and taken care of the issue on a permanent basis, and will be placing protections in place to ensure such issues do not recur.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Have a great day,

Quote Originally Posted by DimeNOC Dennis View Post
    To update this further, we have located and taken care of the issue on a permanent basis, and will be placing protections in place to ensure such issues do not recur.
    Will that have something to do with Riorey
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    Will that have something to do with Riorey
    We located the core issue and removed the user from the equation immediately. Riorey was not required in this situation.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HostDime View Post
    We sincerely apologize for any issues. Dennis and our team have been working on this vigorously. It is important to clarify somethings.

1. As Dennis mentioned above Moving a specific VPS from a node is unfortunately not the best long term solution. It isn't that we ignore your request or want you to be a "guinea pig" but simply we are trying to find the root VPS causing the issues. For all we know your specific VPS maybe the root issue without you knowing. This is why it is essential we find the vps causing the problems so it can be solved permanently and not ported over to another VPS node.

2. This specific issue is specific to a certain vps node. Not our service as a whole. We manage thousands of nodes and it is not un common that once a week one of the thousands of nodes does have an issue. It comes with the game in this industry unfortunately. It is our job to solve issues and it is the main reason behind our job responsibilities. IT is meant to fix broken things. I saw someone mention they were thinking about moving other vps to us but because of this issue now they are not. It is important to know the above to not judge on this incident. I do understand though how in the end it does effect your decision. We just ask you look at the whole picture.

4. All our servers are human monitored 24x7, truly the case. Our systems syanpse notices within milliseconds. Even though a client may contact us about a certain issue it is easy to think, oh they didn't even know. However this ist almost never the case as our NOC team isn't the same as level1 support. So you can be sure we know but do appreciate the contact

5. As Dennis mentioned This specific issue appears to be related to a certain vps on this node managed26 and it is giving us a battle in a half. It would happen and go away right away and giving no trace of evidence. We have done some high level of engineering to trace it now and we have a good feeling that this will get the culprit finally.

Hopefully these explanations will give some insight and guidance for everyone. The downtime is still unacceptable on any level and we will honor our SLA even though we are all victims in these situations. We realize we have a responsibility and obligation to all clients and it is the least we can do. We do genuinely care about every single issue big or small and how any company responds is the true indication of a responsible host. The best of us has issues.
    thank you for your reply, my server has been up for the past hour and a half so far.
    Last edited by steve_fortune; 08-23-2011 at 04:29 AM.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by steve_fortune View Post
    thank you for your reply, my server has been up for the past hour and a half so far.
    Glad to know this.
    Dennis is doing a very good job indeed and his explanations are real.
    HostinPK.com
    [US/UK] Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting
    cPanel/CWP | Softaculous | WHMCS | Dedicated IP | SSL
    We accept PayPal, 2checkout, Credit Cards, and Bank payments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast