hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : Optimizing VPS for busy WordPress blog?
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

Optimizing VPS for busy WordPress blog?

Closed Thread Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Just passing through

Optimizing VPS for busy WordPress blog?

We're sponsoring an online event for one of our clients, and have allocated 1.5GB to their project.

They're running a WordPress installation that gets a good number of hits/views, however in a couple weeks they're going to get hit real hard with traffic as the actually 'event' starts. (A entrepreneurship summit with a handful of speakers being streamed live).

Currently the setup is rather basic, cPanel+Apache+WordPress

Since we're sponsoring this and are a advertised partner of this event it's in our best interest to have everything optimized for best performance as visitors of the site will clearly see that we are hosting/sponsoring the website.

So, for a WordPress installation that gets a lot of traffic what would you recommend would be optimal in terms of server setup? The goal is to serve pages as fast as possible, but while also being able to serve a large number of concurrent connections on the days the event itself is taking place.

I have little experience with WordPress to be honest, even less configuring a server specifically for a single WordPress install. Monitoring the server with Munin so i'll be able to take note of any changes to see if it works or not. I do not have access to the WordPress Dashboard, so I will ask the owner what plugins he has installed (As I know someone here will ask) to see which ones can be disabled.

Thanks WHT

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Using a caching plugin like WP Super Cache will be a huge help.

Old
(formerly WhichGunDotCom)

Some sort of Wordpress caching plug-in (WP Super Cache or W3 Total Cache) is obvious.

A PHP opcode cache should be installed (I recommend APC).

Make sure MySQL is optimized, especially the query cache.

You might want to look into replacing Apache with nginx, Cherokee, or lighttpd as they scale better than standard Apache.

Check out this page for some more help: http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Warw...mization_Guide

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

nvm, thanks

Old
Premium Member

I recommend w3 total cache over super cache as w3 does a lot more to increase performance. If you have the time and expertise you could put Varnish in front. W3 can clear the Varnish cache automatically for you too. You could also get a cloud flare account to help you out a bit

Old
Just passing through

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry[CoffeeSprout] View Post
I recommend w3 total cache over super cache as w3 does a lot more to increase performance. If you have the time and expertise you could put Varnish in front. W3 can clear the Varnish cache automatically for you too. You could also get a cloud flare account to help you out a bit
I'm awaiting his response to see what plugins he does have installed, though I will suggest w3 total cache to him.

We use Varnish Cache on all of our Shared / Reseller servers with great results, I was thinking of installing it on his server as well however i'm trying to keep costs to a minimum since we're sponsoring this. ( I know Varnish is 'free', but we use the Unixy plugin for cPanel)

CloudFlare is currently being used and the effect of having it in place at first was negative, now looking at the Munin monitoring charts it appears to be making little or no difference at all since the time before using it.

Running a LoadImpact test right now, will post the results.

Old
Just passing through

Plugins installed:

Quote:
Facebook Comments (probably not running)
Google Analytics
MailChimp
Ordered Thumbnails (probably not running)
Redirection
Widget Logic
WP Post Thumbnail

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vazapi-Curtis View Post
I'm awaiting his response to see what plugins he does have installed, though I will suggest w3 total cache to him.
I would not suggest W3 Total Cache. Slows down non-cached pages by a lot, actually. Not to stable, either. I would recommend HyperCache and CloudFlare.

Old
Web Hosting Master

You can try nginx front end which will help you to serve static files. Also use memcahced server and php-memcached . Then use wordpress memcahced plugins . It is good for mysql queries

Call us : (0091) 471-3273-211 , Contact Sales - sales@syslint.com

Old
Just passing through

To speed things up, how does the following sound:

CloudFlare + CloudFlare Wordpress Plugin
HyperCache

(testing the above setup now, comparing to benchmark/loadimpact without)

I'll also enable php memcache as well as optimize my.cf

Anything else?

Old
Junior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vazapi-Curtis View Post
To speed things up, how does the following sound:

CloudFlare + CloudFlare Wordpress Plugin
HyperCache

(testing the above setup now, comparing to benchmark/loadimpact without)

I'll also enable php memcache as well as optimize my.cf

Anything else?
HyperCache is great plugin for caching, but I recommend Google Page Speed Service for optimized page load speed

DICHVU.IT: All about SSL.
BudgetVPS: Where to find the cheapest VPS Offer!

Old
Community Liaison

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/wordpr...-lowendscript/

^Got my box to only use 41MB of RAM. I would then throw in W3 Total Cache and you're pretty set.

On a tight budget? Need competitive pricing? E-mail us at Sales@DediCube.com for a quote.

Old
Greece

Use wp-supercache and widget-cache.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Just deploy some caching for the wordpress installation such as wp-supercache and you'll be fine to be honest...

Old
Web Hosting Master

Nginx, PHP-FPM and W3 Total Cache doesn't use much resources and can take a very decent amount of load.

Closed Thread