hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : Fraud Orders

Forum Jump

Fraud Orders

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Web Hosting Master

I have been using 3D secure (verified by visa/mastercard securecode) on my site for about 5 years now.
In that time I have received zero fraud chargebacks, and I don't do phone verification or ask for ID.

There has been alot of misinformation about 3D secure.
The merchant is protected from all fraud chargebacks on all visa/mc cards, even if the cardholder or their bank is not enrolled in 3D secure.
I highly recommend it.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulsion View Post
On any larger orders with paypal we ask our customers to contact us from the paypal email address to confirm they have access to it and not just the persons paypal account. Its not the best way, but it's a way.
I feel sorry for the majority of people who probably share the same password between their e-mail account and PayPal account. People who have their PayPal account compromised are probably not looking after their data, passwords etc well enough and there's no reason to believe that the related e-mail account has not also been compromised.

It's a bad way to do things, I wouldn't even consider it "a way", sorry. Perhaps use it as one small check but not without other checks, after all to get to this stage you must consider the order as suspicious already.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Ultra View Post
I have been using 3D secure (verified by visa/mastercard securecode) on my site for about 5 years now.
In that time I have received zero fraud chargebacks, and I don't do phone verification or ask for ID.

The merchant is protected from all fraud chargebacks on all visa/mc cards, even if the cardholder or their bank is not enrolled in 3D secure.
I highly recommend it.
I'm also pro 3D secure, the costs are worth it. However, where do you get this information about the merchant being protected even when the cardholder is not enrolled with 3D secure?

This isn't what I've been told by my merchant bank provider and gateway provider here in the UK. As such, I do have the option to decline payments where 3D secure is disabled to decrease risk of fraud, chargebacks etc.

Just another little thing, I'm also pro 3D secure as a cardholder. I don't understand the many people who moan about it, they can't remember a simple password? It's brilliant and should be enforced on all cardholders and merchants. The personal greeting is great too, so there is never a chance of the form being forged

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHayes View Post
I feel sorry for the majority of people who probably share the same password between their e-mail account and PayPal account. People who have their PayPal account compromised are probably not looking after their data, passwords etc well enough and there's no reason to believe that the related e-mail account has not also been compromised.

It's a bad way to do things, I wouldn't even consider it "a way", sorry. Perhaps use it as one small check but not without other checks, after all to get to this stage you must consider the order as suspicious already.
You'd be surprised how many scammers that will give up because they think you are already on to them just by asking this question. This is not our only method, just one of many things we check when flags are raised.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:35 PM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHayes View Post
I'm also pro 3D secure, the costs are worth it. However, where do you get this information about the merchant being protected even when the cardholder is not enrolled with 3D secure?

This isn't what I've been told by my merchant bank provider and gateway provider here in the UK. As such, I do have the option to decline payments where 3D secure is disabled to decrease risk of fraud, chargebacks etc.

Just another little thing, I'm also pro 3D secure as a cardholder. I don't understand the many people who moan about it, they can't remember a simple password? It's brilliant and should be enforced on all cardholders and merchants. The personal greeting is great too, so there is never a chance of the form being forged
We have been using 3D secure for 2 years now and had no fraudulent orders. But I'm wondering when you say it has an added cost? We do not pay anything for 3D secure, in fact we got better terms with our payment processor if we chose to enforce 3DS on all payments. By better terms I mean way faster payouts and lower transaction percentage.

About the chargeback protection we too were told that if we use 3DS we wold be protected. We were told that the reason is that all banks have the opportunity to implement 3DS, but some have chosen not to. Those banks carry the risk of cardholders losing their cc.

Hates: Windows, Solaris, Perl, Sendmail, Java

Old 01-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frands View Post
We have been using 3D secure for 2 years now and had no fraudulent orders. But I'm wondering when you say it has an added cost? We do not pay anything for 3D secure, in fact we got better terms with our payment processor if we chose to enforce 3DS on all payments. By better terms I mean way faster payouts and lower transaction percentage.
I'm guessing it will vary per provider etc. I'm not actually in the web hosting business either, so again my risk and so on will be calculated differently. But yeah, I have an additional charge for processing via 3D secure. I have no idea why and thought it was standard, I'm not going to complain though because overall I'm very happy with my rates.

It does make sense to charge less and have quicker payouts etc for 3D secure I guess. I always just thought it was to do with the extra processing involved or something. I do pay combined fees for merchant account + hosted gateway though.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

I use maxmind service and so far help me alot to determine the order legit or not.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

One easy trick - always ask for photo of a credit card / ID from both sides and never accept scans. It is almost impossible to make a fake photo with all artifacts that it should have (blinks, shadows, holograms, distortion, vignetting, chromatic aberrations, scratches, noise).

We saw almost perfect fake scans of CC but nobody even bother to send good quality photo.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Ultra View Post

I highly recommend it.
How about fraud hosts??

Sorry to hijack a thread, but I've been submitting tickets, emailing, and ive even sent a PM to host ultra for over 1 MONTH!

These people do not like to reply!! EVER...

If you're reading this host ultra...... PLease look at your tickets. I paid for hosting with you (not the free hosting you do), and not replying to multiple tickets for over a month is not exactly cool!

Old 01-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Hello,

We are also getting fraud-orders about 1 or 2 per days. The most interesting thing in it is, all of them order the highest packages and use hacked paypal accounts from France.

Sales@HugeServer.COM | 888-842-8570

Old 01-29-2012, 09:00 PM
WHT Addict

We have 1 or 2 a week.

████ http://www.OneNetwork.net

Old 01-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

One of my friends recommend Volance.Com as they are using it.
price is fine - it starts at $0.3 per lookup also you can integrate it to your website and shopping card to save time.
any idea?

Old 01-30-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4m4N View Post
One of my friends recommend Volance.Com as they are using it.
price is fine - it starts at $0.3 per lookup also you can integrate it to your website and shopping card to save time.
any idea?
30 cents per lookup seems a bit expensive but maybe that is just me.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashVampede View Post
30 cents per lookup seems a bit expensive but maybe that is just me.
you don't need to verify all orders - just check new customers
also you can trust some of them and just check some bad looking ones

Old 01-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Managed VPS Experts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffshoreRacks View Post
We receive 2 fraud orders a day on creditcards, we wait for 2checkout fraud check but sometimes it pass fraud checks and the next day we receive the charge back so we wait 24 hours on creditcard customers and 98% of them are aware of this problem and they are ok on waiting, paypal customers get activated instantly.
It's funny, with 2checkout, we had an order that was processed and it was not marked as fraud.

It was fairly large over $1500. We reviewed it, everything looked good and we processed it.

3 MONTHS later, 2CheckOut shoots us an e-mail saying that the order is fraudulent. I don't know how they can do that after 3 months, but it happens!

But usually 2-3 orders a week are fraud on our side.

- Daniel

█ DATA Migrations Included | 24/7 Certified Support |INSTANT SETUP | Gigabit Connections