Voxel Alternative

Does anyone know of an alternative to Voxel.net as far as network stability and scalability?

Their support has been lacking lately, didn't get a reply for 5 days.

Please do not suggest:

• RackSpace
    • GigeNet
    • Terremark

That's odd, we haven't seen that from them at all - most replies are within one hour, often a lot less. I'd be interested in hearing more about this.

Anyway, if you're looking for a really solid provider within NYC metro, have a look at Thorn.net. They're not cheap, but then again neither is Voxel or most solid providers.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    That's odd, we haven't seen that from them at all - most replies are within one hour, often a lot less. I'd be interested in hearing more about this.

Anyway, if you're looking for a really solid provider within NYC metro, have a look at Thorn.net. They're not cheap, but then again neither is Voxel or most solid providers.
    Thanks Layer0, your feedback is always great! It was a mix of billing and support. Had to bump it a few times to get a reply, you'll find their response humorous.

I've check out Thorn, anyone one else? The ones I listed we work with already.

Hi <redacted>,

We sincerely apologize for the delay in the reply as we've been very busy
    lately.
    I checked your account just now and it seems that the ticket was responded and
    resolved.
    Please do let us know if you still have some other concern and queries.
    Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience caused by the delay and thank
    you for your patience.

Regards,
    <redacted>
    --
    Voxel dot Net
    212 812 4190

The issue being billing related might explain the delay. I've seen billing tickets take about 1-2 business days to get a response, but that's not really an issue for me. I've also seen some network related (non-critical) tickets take longer, but that usually means I'm getting a response from Adam Rothschild who really knows what he is talking about, so that is worth the wait.

When it comes to high priority issues (like a hardware failure or downed machine in general), Voxel has never really disappointed us in their response times overall. That's where it counts in my book. Hopefully they stay this way, I would not want to see them "being really busy" to be a trend, as that isn't a very good excuse to a paying customer.

We've actually been looking at Thorn for co-location recently, and have been told that they offer a guaranteed 20 minute response time on support, which is excellent. This may apply to their dedicated servers too. They use primarily Internap bandwidth, and claim to have had 100% uptime (network and power) in their 11 Broadway facility since 2001.

As far as other providers in NYC metro, there's Choopa and DedicatedNow/FortressITX. From what I've seen, both have been quite solid lately. Elsewhere, you can take a look at FastServ.com in VA - we've had a great experience them with for well over a year. Only recall one small network issue which was resolved pretty quickly and was only a partial outage. We rarely contact support, but it has been quick when we needed it. Of course they are a smaller company than the likes of Voxel, but that can be a good thing in some ways.

True, I'm not looking to eliminate Voxel per say, they're a great company to work with. Just looking at other options since they're more robust then say RackSpace and GigeNet in my experience.

I can only recall one outage the last few years with Voxel being 7/16/11 for 45 minutes due to a backbone issue. Completely acceptable considering their reputation.

How much does Thorn run roughly? You said similar to Voxel pricing so that looks like a great option.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Choopa - Will avoid due to their reputation in the Adult side of things.. tube sites etc

FastServ - Will check out

DedicatedNow/FortressITX - I remember them spamming me a few years ago, will avoid them for that.

Spamming in what way? That's not something we do. Definitely don't want their to be a mix up, and if so, want to make sure it gets cleared up.

Quote Originally Posted by bsh View Post
    Spamming in what way? That's not something we do. Definitely don't want their to be a mix up, and if so, want to make sure it gets cleared up.
    From my account way back when. Screenshots are gone due to the whole WHT fiasco. I think it was before you joined them Brandon, correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=755587

No longer at gnax? now at Dedicatednow? Wow you get around
    GigeNET
    Dedicated Servers + Cloud Servers + Colocation + DDOS Protection + IP Transit with FCP optimized routing
    Locations in Chicago Los Angeles and Ashburn

Quote Originally Posted by ameen View Post
    I think Jacob Wall still has him beat for moving around

Been with DN for about 10 months. Still love ya, Ameen.

Quote Originally Posted by GCM View Post
    I think Jacob Wall still has him beat for moving around
    I kindly ask that unless you know my whole life story, which you don't, to please keep your mouth shut.

Does anyone know of an alternative to Voxel.net as far as network stability and scalability?

Please do not suggest:

• RackSpace
    • GigeNet
    • Terremark
    Do you have specific geographic requirements? What products are you specifically looking for?
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    Do you have specific geographic requirements? What products are you specifically looking for?
    Anywhere really, multiple locations is a plus. For example, we use:

RackSpace - DFW/SAT
    GigeNet - ORD
    Voxel - LGA/SG
    Terremark - MIA

Would be nice to find someone near Miami to replace Terremark. As far as products, the whole 9 yards. Colo, Cloud, and Dedicated Servers.

That's very unusual. I'm usually able to get someone by email or phone within minutes. We've been using them as our primary upstream provider for over 6 years, and have never regretted it.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet View Post
    That's very unusual. I'm usually able to get someone by email or phone within minutes.
    Was in the hospital otherwise I would of called. Looking at the ticket assignments it looked like it was bouncing from SG to NY.

Look into Ubiquity

+1 for Voxel.

For critical issues like hardware / network failure, I have never waited more than 10 mins for a favorable response. And in general, they keep their network and machines running well so I have had little need for support the whole time I was with them.

I have met most of the Voxel guys, so I know they take support very seriously. I can't comment on billing related issues since I have not encountered one yet, but I agree with layer0. As long as they maintain the <10 min response on critical issues, I am happy.

Anywhere really, multiple locations is a plus. For example, we use:

RackSpace - DFW/SAT
    GigeNet - ORD
    Voxel - LGA/SG
    Terremark - MIA

Would be nice to find someone near Miami to replace Terremark. As far as products, the whole 9 yards. Colo, Cloud, and Dedicated Servers.
    looking for fully managed or self managed?

quadranet offers 3 locations, in Miami too.

Quote Originally Posted by wheimeng View Post
    looking for fully managed or self managed?

quadranet offers 3 locations, in Miami too.
    Unmanaged.

then you can look at quadranet too, they are unmanaged in essence.

Been with DN for about 10 months. Still love ya, Ameen.
    right back at yah big guy you should msg me on aim sometime to catch up
    GigeNET
    Dedicated Servers + Cloud Servers + Colocation + DDOS Protection + IP Transit with FCP optimized routing
    Locations in Chicago Los Angeles and Ashburn

This is kind of off topic, but how do you like Voxel's network? I may be moving into a new DC that uses them as an upstream provider. I never heard of them until recently, so I've been searching around for some reviews / experiences.
    Loop Internet
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet and Colocation
    99.999% Uptime SLA - 24/7/365 Support

Quote Originally Posted by Encrypted View Post
    This is kind of off topic, but how do you like Voxel's network? I may be moving into a new DC that uses them as an upstream provider. I never heard of them until recently, so I've been searching around for some reviews / experiences.
    The network is superb, only 1 outage is 5 years (45 mins). Take advantage of their peers if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by ameen View Post
    hes been at dednow for many months
    AS395558

Having read the ticket that upset you enough to spawn the ticket, all I can say is

PS: You can tell an automated notice vs a person sending the notice by the signature. A person will always sign their name. An automated notice just lists the department its from.