hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Best VPS Host with Texas Datacenters?

Forum Jump

Best VPS Host with Texas Datacenters?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 04:35 PM

Best VPS Host with Texas Datacenters?

Hi, just wanted to see if there are other people from TX here familiar with the major hosts in the state who can maybe run down some choices with me.

I know of: (and their datacenter)
Hostgator (The Planet)
KnownHost (Colo4)
Unixy (Quasar)
Slicehost (Rackspace)

I'm sure there are more...What others are there? And who is solid but still affordable?

I've been disappointed with KnownHost's Dallas/Colo4 hosting especially after the lack of communication and accountability shown by both companies with today's outage so I'm now thinking about options. Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Managed VPS Experts

What type of outage was there? Im not sure, if any data was lost or anything. Is there a thread? What are your full requirements? Control Panel? RAM? Location? Once we have this information we will be able to assist you.

- Daniel

█ DATA Migrations Included | 24/7 Certified Support |INSTANT SETUP | Gigabit Connections

Old 08-10-2011, 05:44 PM

Do you have a datacenter in Texas?

EDIT: Ok your datacenter is in Orlando FL.

Thanks for the response. I am unfortunately looking ONLY for hosting physically located in Texas.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Web Hosting Master

Linode. I think they are at SoftLayer in Dallas. Unmanaged though, not sure if you want managed.

New Offer: Web Hosting Theme Club.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Linode. I think they are at SoftLayer in Dallas. Unmanaged though, not sure if you want managed.
Thanks, yeah they seem pretty good... except I really do want managed if possible..

Old 08-10-2011, 06:58 PM

Adding to the list:

QualityHostOnline (SoftLayer Dallas)
FutureHosting (Colo4)

Last edited by Arclight; 08-10-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Thanks, yeah they seem pretty good... except I really do want managed if possible..
Yes unfortunately they don't have that. They are a very good provider though, best I've ever had.

New Offer: Web Hosting Theme Club.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Web Hosting Master

HawkHost uses SoftLayer in Dallas.
Site5 uses The Planet in Dallas.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:06 AM
Web Host Reviewer

If you think Colo4 is bad, then stay away from The Planet / Softlayer datacenters. They're at least as bad, if not worse. I suggest you do diligent research on this, and look at how they've handled downtimes in the past 5 years. For example, the Houston explosions at The Planet. I'm honestly not a big fan of the current Texas datacenters.

Look in the WHT outage forum, browse back as far as you can.

Last edited by kpmedia; 08-11-2011 at 03:13 AM. Reason: added more
Old 08-11-2011, 03:14 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
If you think Colo4 is bad, then stay away from The Planet / Softlayer. I suggest you do diligent research on this.
I long ago came to the conclusion that many Texas datacenters are crappy.
Out of curiosity, have you had firsthand experience with any of these companies to propose such valiant claims? The reason I ask is, we have a few servers that reside within the SoftLayer facility within their Dallas, Texas Data Center. To date, we have never experienced any network issues over the course of the past 3 years.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:56 AM
Web Hosting Master

We use colo4, other than yesterdays power issues, we've found them responsive, professional, and the facilities rock solid.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:09 PM

Like other Knownhost customers with accounts hosted at Colo4, I've had a couple outages and periods of weirdness and low availability over the past year or so. With the latest event, particularly given how the situation was handled and the fact it revealed that Colo4 was never as redundant in reality as everyone had been led to believe in their promotional material, my confidence in continuing there is not high.

kpmedia- Except for the explosion at the Planet are there other catastrophic issues at SoftLayer or the Planet you can cite in the past couple years?

Has anyone had experience hosting with Unixy or other hosting companies using the Quasar or Rackspace datacenters in Houston?

Last edited by Arclight; 08-11-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Web Host Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelHosting Inc View Post
Out of curiosity, have you had firsthand experience with any of these companies to propose such valiant claims?
Yes. I've been doing this since the 1990s.
If you don't want to believe my negative comments, the internet has plenty more to be read.
And it's not just issues with outages.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
Yes. I've been doing this since the 1990s.
If you don't want to believe my negative comments, the internet has plenty more to be read.
And it's not just issues with outages.

Are there any that you would recommend based on your experience, that are not Colo4?

Thanks

Old 08-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Web Host Reviewer

I don't really have anything against Colo4.

While I am disappointed in what happened yesterday, I want to see if this is a one-off issue which they'll learn from. Though not perfect, their communication is nowhere near as bad as what I've seen in the past from others. Refer back to my first post in this thread -- if you think Colo4 is bad, then you'll be disappointed by the others. That wasn't stating Colo4 is bad, but simply that the others being suggested are worse. I've not seen anything from Colo4 that would make me want to flee their DC just yet.

Last edited by kpmedia; 08-11-2011 at 02:18 PM.