Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarecolo4 View Post
    I have just lost my biggest client
    Just curious. How much money per month was your biggest client paying for hosting?
      0 Not allowed!

Do you people who are screaming for an ETA really not understand how this stuff works? Really? You're IT people, right?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nightmarecolo4 View Post
    simply by-pass the ATS and power the UPS with generator power (re-fuel gen as needed until a good solution is in place). Join the lines up inside the ATS. Should have been done already- Its going to take a long time to wire another ATS
    Thats not going to happen, the whole point of the ATS is to transfer the power load from generator pathway to utility. You just can't by pass it without taking everything back down again.

Of course.. unless you are a tier4 datacenter with 2n+1/2
      0 Not allowed!

same here - site down!

Site's been down all day... This is unacceptable!!!!

Thousands of dollars have been lost by many of us I'm sure.
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah it is hard to understand how UPS/generators haven't kicked in for this situation.
      0 Not allowed!

Unhappy 500

Quote Originally Posted by neumannu47 View Post
    Just curious. How much money per month was your biggest client paying for hosting?
    $500 per month on a dedicated server to them that we managed
      0 Not allowed!

I'm not really smart with all this stuff but...yeah...I was thinking all this time, don't they at least have a generator as backup?
      0 Not allowed!

I am questioning their tagline of "Unrivaled Support"!!!! Lack of eta makes me question that.
      0 Not allowed!

I don't' remember being offered any A/B anything by my hosting company rimuhosting, or else I would've opted for it had I known it would prevent this 3+ hours of downtime. We need this problem fixed 3 hours ago.
      0 Not allowed!

As a customer of one of the webhosts on here I can understand your frustration. I have called my host about 10 times trying to get information and sent emails. However in the same respect as it has been said above, cant always give a timeframe because sometimes ya just dont know.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jumpoint View Post
    This may be a dumb questionn, but if you were to simply go and swap your cables from A to B side, would that work? Or is that something that would have to have been pre-configured.
    Assuming that the A and B sides have the same capacity (why would you pay to install extra capacity on the B side until there is customer demand for it, you are just incurring CapEx by buying expensive equipment and OpEx by lowering your efficiency) then you would still need to either run new whips from each rack to the B-side PDUs or re-wire the A-side PDUs into the B-side bus. Neither of those is a quick or easy solution.
      0 Not allowed!

Quite epic now, and frustrating.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by httpEasy View Post
    Quite epic now, and frustrating.
    Epic ..... Now thats a description LOL
      0 Not allowed!

I already threatened to quit my webhost for this. He's said he's quitting colo4 now though so we shall see.
      0 Not allowed!

This is the real world people. When non-standard things happen you try your hardest and you're done when its done. If you can't estimate how long it's going to take you can't.

If they underestimate it everyone will be complaining that they were lied to and how unjust that is. If they overestimate everyone will complain about how long it is still going to take from the start.

It being unacceptable and such do not change the reality of the matter. They have quite a bit of redundancy in place but in the end you cannot protect yourself from everything.

And yes my company is affected too, taking my anger out here won't bring it back.

As for all the 'Why have the backup generators not kicked in???' reading the entire thread may be more advised than flooding it with the same questions over and over.

In short these things happen, deal with it and rely on your datacenter or switch occupations.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I'm not really smart with all this stuff but...yeah...I was thinking all this time, don't they at least have a generator as backup?
    The ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) connects the UPS to the mains/utility and the generator. It's entire purpose is to transfer the incoming supply to the UPS between the mains and the generator safely and automatically. With the ATS non-functional, the UPS is isolated from both mains/utility and generator supply.
      0 Not allowed!

Try telling your customers this (the truth): There has been a wide-spread power outage in the Dallas-Fort Worth area that is curently affecting hundreds of customers, including our Colocation Facility. The facility has backup/redundant power generators, which are operational. However, that power outage caused some issues with one of the ATS'(Automatic Transfer Switch) that provide the backup power to the facility. This is a wide spread power outage problem that is not only affecting the server colocation facility that our servers reside in, but undoubtedly other businesses, sub-stations, Telecom CO's, etc in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area that is affecting access to the server facility. Currently, there are about 500 customers in the DFW area that are completely without power. (Check the Oncor website at: http://www.oncor.com/community/outages/#) This most likely was caused by the heat related rolling blackouts that area has been experiencing recently. Right now the facility maintenance, vendors, and power company area ll working on the problems taht are affecting this entire area.
      0 Not allowed!

You people aren't thinking logically with this frenzy that you're in.

Colo4 isn't to blame. If your server is down, its because your host (or YOU) didn't opt for A/B power. Its an option for... well... when things like this happen!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by kemuel View Post
    This is the real world people. When non-standard things happen you try your hardest and you're done when its done. If you can't estimate how long it's going to take you can't.

If they underestimate it everyone will be complaining that they were lied to and how unjust that is. If they overestimate everyone will complain about how long it is still going to take from the start.

It being unacceptable and such do not change the reality of the matter. They have quite a bit of redundancy in place but in the end you cannot protect yourself from everything.

And yes my company is affected too, taking my anger out here won't bring it back.

As for all the 'Why have the backup generators not kicked in???' reading the entire thread may be more advised than flooding it with the same questions over and over.

In short these things happen, deal with it and rely on your datacenter or switch occupations.
    Theres that damn karma button or +1 or like when ya need it? LOL
      0 Not allowed!

Can you please tell me what happened to backup power system? Clients want explanation.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by kemuel View Post

When you are paying for consumer level internet for $50/mo, just deal with it is an acceptable answer when you have an outage.

When you pay a spectacular sum of money for a professional co-location facility that prides itself on uptime, just deal with it ISN'T ACCEPTABLE ON ANY LEVEL.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jumpoint View Post
    When you are paying for consumer level internet for $50/mo, just deal with it is an acceptable answer when you have an outage.

When you pay a spectacular sum of money for a professional co-location facility that prides itself on uptime, just deal with it ISN'T ACCEPTABLE ON ANY LEVEL.
    And you could have that uptime, IF you opted for A/B power. It's pretty simple.
      0 Not allowed!

Neither is 100F + Weather for over a month but cant do much about that either
      0 Not allowed!

I am paying...A LOT more than $50 a month let's put it that way. So one power source goes down and we're screwed?
      0 Not allowed!

Perhaps I don't completely understand, but shouldn't there have been a second backup ATS?
      0 Not allowed!

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast