Managed Windows VPS - Recommendations?

What would you guys feel are good managed VPS servers on Windows.

I need a VPS host that supports ASP.net 3.5 and SQL Server 2005 (We will be installing express most likely).

This is for an ecommerce website and it is relatively on the smaller size, however we do expect roughly 1,000 unique visitors per day to start and then upwards from there.

If this is for mainly a web site (hosting), i'd suggest you consider including a control panel (plesk is among if not the most popular on windows, and supports management of MS SQL Server 2005 (Express or paid version). You wont necessarily need too much management since plesk gives you the interface.

If you don't want the over head or other components a full control panel software deploys, like a mail system - then avoid plesk as it does add a bit of bloat.

Any 'windows vps' will let you customize the ASP and SQL server editions, so there really should be no cause for worrying about 'which host supports that', since on a VPS you control what you want. The only limitation on that is which control panel (which may limit your supported options)
    Colohouse | P: 877-539-4638 | E: hello@colohouse.com
    Dedicated Servers | Cloud VPS | Colocation | Web Hosting | Public & Private Cloud | IaaS & DRaaS
    Data Centers: New York | Chicago | Miami | Colorado | California | Amsterdam

Look at EuroVPS or SolarVPS.

You can use Plesk with mail/PHP/MySQL/MSSQL/etc -- if you have enough RAM. A good 2GB RAM VPS will do all of that perfectly fine. Less running tasks, less resources needed. I'd still suggest 1GB minimum, however.

You can go panel-less, sure, but it just creates extra work for you. Panels speed up your work, and then you can always manually override via RDP, or do tasks not available from within the panel. I don't need panels, but I can appreciate what they do, and therefore both use and suggest them.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

I would suggest you to go with a company that will provide you plesk control panel as well. Also, the latest 2008 editions of windows is better than long used 2003. If you are choosing plesk, go for plesk 10.3. It has a separate SQL server to manage its database. Also, it has less problem when compared to plesk 9 for windows.

I think Windows 2008 (non R2) & Plesk has some smaller issues, but not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by urbee View Post
    I think Windows 2008 (non R2) & Plesk has some smaller issues, but not sure.
    Nope, not that I've ever seen.
    I've run tons of Plesk/Windows combos for about 6 years now. 2008 non-R2 and Plesk 9 are fine.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

What do you think of JaguarPC, was thinking of doing their most basic windows VPS server to start - the 29.00 Windows VPS Plus?

Any experience with them and do you think that package would be good as a start and then upgrade as necessary down the line?

Virtuozzo is superficial level of virtualization and I'll recommend something like Hyper-V or Xen whereby there is higher level of isolation in guest OS and you get better control over your OS (they work similar to a dedicated server).

With regards to JaguarPC, they have a good reputation and you can give them a shot.
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

Quote Originally Posted by ejosh87 View Post
    What do you think of JaguarPC, was thinking of doing their most basic windows VPS server to start - the 29.00 Windows VPS Plus? Any experience with them and do you think that package would be good as a start and then upgrade as necessary down the line?
    I think they're great.
    Experience with them, yes, though for Linux hosting. Not used Windows at Jaguar before.
    Anyway, yes, I'd suggest them. Good people, good hosting.

(My personal preference for any kind of Windows hosting is EuroVPS.)
    || Need a good host?
    ||

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ejosh87 View Post
    What do you think of JaguarPC, was thinking of doing their most basic windows VPS server to start - the 29.00 Windows VPS Plus?
    512MB Ram is quite limited to run Windows 2008 R2 smoothly.
    I don't think it can handle SQL Express & website with 1000 unique visitors a day.
    You should get a VPS with at least 1GB RAM.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL SmarterMail Enterprise